Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 54>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 13:16
In the past couple of days an old friend has lost his mother-in-law to Covid, another the IT manager at the rugby club he owns (Leigh Centurions), and former Albufeira resident Val West has lost his brother. 

It is impossible to tell exactly how much the measures taken have prevented the spread, as there is no control experiment to compare with. We can look at the death rates in countries where there is a reasonably competent government  - Germany - and compare with places where incompetent idiots are in charge - UK / USA - and see that the more sensible the measures, the fewer people die.

Go away Duchatalet
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 14:56
I noticed on the webcam that the restaurant on the beach is all packed away. Is this due to the virus regulations? Also I was informed by the management that the Sol-e Mar is closed until the 17th March. Is this when they expect that revised regulation in the Algarve would come into effect?  
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 14:58
All restaurants and bars are closed for at least two weeks - take away only allowed. 
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 15:23
Everyone I speak with expects restaurants and bars to be closed for a month, except for takeways and deliveries. Many will give up with all the messing about and will remain closed for longer, as is the case with the Sol e Mar no doubt.

And the latest well thought out piece of legislation due to come into effect on Monday states that supermarkets cannot sell ... "The list of ‘forbidden articles’ includes books, decorative items, clothes, underwear, sportswear, etc...."

So if clothes are no longer essential...

A bit cold for that though.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 15:28
Finland brought in internal controls. They completely sealed of movement from the heavy populated area in the South of the country using Police and conscripts to ensure the instruction was obeyed. No messing around. They controlled arrivals at the airport including refusing Brits. Finlands population is similar to Scotland and the number of deaths as of today total 616. That is not a typing error.
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 19:34
Anyone know what the rate of infection is per 100000 in the Algarve?I have googled it but could not find a definite answer.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 08:43
Best I can do and it's for the whole region as of Thursday the numbers are about 830 cases per 100,000 ie around 2% of the population, 328 new cases diagnosed and 10 deaths.

It is obviously totally out of control. Nothing will stop it spreading.

Vaccination will not help. I am informed that it will be April before its my turn. There will probably be no-one left to administer it.

We are now condemned to mere existence rather than living. I wonder how many will consider an early end?
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 09:21
I know you are tongue in cheek my old pal, but believe it or not, some people might take you seriously, so I would rein in the doom-and-gloom a bit mate.   
Go away Duchatalet
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 09:58
Thanks Cubsur for the info. Where I live it was 465 (Per 100000) yesterday down 32 from the day before so a bit better than the Algarve.
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 12:00
With all the new measures in place it will improve and in a month will see the numbers reduce , though sadly , like the UK, not the deaths
This is a long slog, but the vaccination will help and I hope the Portuguese government think it’s a “sprint” to get them all done , unlike the numpty first minister in Wales
At least you all have lovely weather to brighten the mood 😊
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 12:50
Suggy .. here is the DGS (health service) site https://covid19.min-saude.pt/

If you click the `relatorio` you get a list of every days report since the infection began,
take the latest Algarve figure and then deduct the one seven days previous
Jan 15 = 11710   - Jan 8 = 9584     so 2126 new cases in 7 days

divide by pop = 451.000

rate per 100k = 471

with rising numbers, therefore ... assume the contact tracing will be possibly 8% of pop...

In Scotland we are seeing just under 8% of testing comes positive ... and in East Ayrshire
we currently have 280 per 100k

Scotland overall has seen 250,000 receive first dose vaccine ...
Pyrman
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 18:07
Thanks Pyrman. I only check the stats as I am bored at home and got nothing else to do. Done all the chores last lockdown.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2021 at 00:59
Sorry to hear numbers are so high there.  From Ontario here, we're running at approx. 3,000 new cases per day, approx. half of all of Canada.  :(  

We've also had very slow start to vaccinations...  but not surprising...  bit of a job vaccinating the world!

Also locked down here...  no indoor activities (ie community centres, arenas, etc.), online classes only, most stores are 'curb side' pick-up only, restaurants are take-out only, unless essential, work from home only...  rule is stay home unless essential.  Throw in the cold weather and 'walks' (pretty much the only activity allowed) are not very enjoyable!

(Although lots of frustration here as there are many loopholes to our lockdown...  ie non-essential stores are allowed to open for curb-side pick-up...  so is my trip to pick up a non-essential item, from a store that is allowed to be open, an essential trip?!  As tired as people are of the lockdowns (city of Toronto has been in a state of lockdown since November), people are tired of lame-a-ss lockdowns!

Very frustrating but I'm hopeful, with vaccine, things will begin to turn by the spring...  

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2021 at 09:28
The purchase of clothes and books has been declared non-essential here! Video games are however on the permitted list. Almost all small non-food stores are now closed.

There is an interesting interpretation of the 'takeaway only' rule at the bar / café near me. This requires the old boys to buy their beer and coffee at the bar doorway then walk a few steps to the pedestal tables to stand there, drink and gossip. Chairs have of course been removed but the tables are set in concrete.

Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2021 at 11:17
Has anyone noticed how well groomed footballer's hair is although barbers/hairdressers are "banned" from working?  TV presenters too.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 54>
  Share Topic