Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2021 at 14:22
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Had my first vaccination this morning. Here's the timeline. I was told to report for 0924.

Arrived at 0908. About 15 people ahead of me in the queue.
0930 - entered building, temperature taken, paperwork dealt with
0939 - sat down to wait
0945 - summoned
0950 - done and told to wait half an hour in case I dropped dead
1020 - released from captivity

Coincidentally I had my second vaccination (Pfizer) this morning here in North East England.

Arrived on time at 08:45, checked in and questioned again from a nurse. Fourth in a queue for the 30 second injection process then waited 10 minutes in the swimming pool gallery (NHS Walk In Centre shares premises with a gym/swimming establishment). Drove out of the car park at about 09:15.

I had absolutely no reaction at all to my first vaccination back in February, not even a mark at the injection site. Hopefully the same applies this time.

Stay safe Thumbs Up
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2021 at 12:19
I've just had a week in hospital and three PCR tests while there.  The back of the throat swab almost set off my gag reflex but the swab up my nostrils was intensely unpleasant.  Kids are going to hate it if they have to have them.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2021 at 22:44
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

I've just had a week in hospital and three PCR tests while there.  The back of the throat swab almost set off my gag reflex but the swab up my nostrils was intensely unpleasant.  Kids are going to hate it if they have to have them.

A school teacher friend of mine tells the school kids (age 12-16) if they're not gagging, when doing a lateral flow test, then they're not doing it right!!!
srfab1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srfab1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2021 at 21:46
The virus has won ive cancelled my holiday to albufeira Tui would have made me travel under amber rules so i jumped before it was to late no superbock this year
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 00:25
It’s very sad that there is a forced perception in the Uk that travel is an unnecessary or undesirable option , people are becoming worried about even mentioning they are going away !
I’m sorry to hear anyone is cancelling a trip as the restrictions are making it untenable ! Or too expensive !
I will still go in amber but will not be posting on social media or telling people as it’s clearly an unacceptable luxury in the current climate !
The Uk has become an unpleasant, judgemental environment and it’s very worrying !
So much for the vaccines being the way out !
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 10:35
So long as you don't bring Covid back with you.
Of course holidays are a luxury. Nice to have, can live without them.
In a largely free country we may do any number of  unwise things including running the risk of catching what is still a serious and often deadly disease. And then perhaps sharing it with friends and elderly relatives.  There is, you see, such a thing as social responsibility.

Your conscience, your choice.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 16:26
For the most part, we still have 'essential' travel only here in Canada... so I'm pretty much still stuck at home.  However, if travelling to a country which has comparable covid levels as your own country, are you really increasing risk?  I suppose being in a plane may increase your risk but is that very different from exposure at many jobs?   I do believe prevailing covid levels will be a new factor in deciding travel destinations but, if at comparable levels, I think we need to move on with life.

I fear we will be living with covid forever.  I think treatments, rather than preventive vaccines, will be the way out as we will never completely eliminate the possibility of catching covid.  We will never be able to vaccinate the world with 1 or 2 doses, let alone routinely administer booster shots for new variants.  Without vaccinating the world, the virus will always find hosts to continue its spread.  

Having said this, I do think each person needs to consider the risk they present to people...  perhaps, upon return, do not visit elderly or vulnerable family/friends for a time period.  Wear a mask when out in public.  Avoid crowded areas.    However, I don't have an answer for the doctor, nurse, caregiver, bus driver, teacher, etc. who wants to travel...  without isolating for 10-14 days (which is not feasible for most people post-vacation), they do carry risk of spreading.  And, of course, we cannot start having different rules for different people.  :(  

So, while I don't know the answer, I really hope we are at a point where we can find ways to  (relatively) safely move towards a more normal life. 
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 16:40
As for JuliejH's point about judgement environments...  that is happening here as well.  People are clearly making preferences about who to spend time with...  those without vaccines are now 'risky' and I have seen two instances where friends were not included because they were not vaccinated.  I have sensed people ask me questions about my participation in some outdoor sports due to possible risk.  I'm not passing judgement on who has or has not chosen to be vaccinated, nor am I passing judgement on those who choose to avoid unvaccinated people.  Everyone knows their own vulnerabilities and needs to choose their risks.

At my office, we are all working from home now, however, there are already discussions as to what happens when we return to work...  some have already said they will not be vaccinated.  Are people going to be forced to be vaccinated or lose their job?  If not, then will the vaccinated be forced to risk exposure due to unvaccinated coworkers?  What about those who cannot take vaccines due to medical reasons?  

Not sure where this will lead...  I fear the longer we are unable to return to normal lives, the more people will begin judging perceived risk takers.
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 17:40
It is very sad the judgemental comments , people do not seem able to resist !!
As for social responsibility , by taking tests to and from and isolating my conscience will indeed be totally clear as will my social responsibility !
The goal was vaccinate the above 50 as they are the ones primarily being hospitalised / deaths , I see nothing in the data to suggest that has changed . The younger group infected by the Delta are not being affected in the same way , and as the scientists are stating , 2 vaccines give very high protection !
Scaremongering seems to be the answer ........ that and destroy the tourism industry
Develd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Develd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/June/2021 at 18:52
Let's all use our own judgement and do what we want, that's a sure way to end the pandemic.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2021 at 08:46
Please therefore in future also avoid contact with those who have not been vaccinated against influenza. It is easily transmistted by close contact. Many hundreds of thousands  worldwide die of this contagion every year.

Health certificates must be made mandatory for everyone and must be shown on entry to any place where other people may be.

Contact with others must be severely restricted to essential purposes only. All social meeting places must be closed, permanently. Private social gatherings (eg at home) must be made illegal.

The downside is that we shall all become so aseptic that the next contagion will wipe us out.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Develd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Develd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2021 at 09:27
Cubsur, you may not like it but lockdowns/restrictions work, look at most Asian countries compared to Europe, I know someone who works in Wuhan through the pandemic, they had severe restrictions for about 4 months but now having a near normal life, the only thing he can't do is fly home as he wouldn't be allowed to fly back to China. Australia and NZ have now a normal life, in Europe because of poorly adherence we have restrictions for almost 18 months and it's not finished yet.
heisy_pen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heisy_pen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2021 at 21:40
Hi! I'm the new one on this  https://albufeira.com/ - forum and so interesting to read your thoughts
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2021 at 13:16
Hi,

'Sort of' new as well (more a sporadic poster).  :)  

Great forum for all things Albufeira!  Some members post super pictures, both for just the view and also to give you an idea of what's happening in the town.

If you haven't yet, check out the webcam...  nice to see the beach and dream!

Welcome!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
  Share Topic