Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 54>
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2021 at 12:46
Clearly different parts of the Uk all have their own interpretation of what is essential ! Seems ridiculous , but then the MP’s are now all a bit power mad , and anything to gain that ‘one up man ship ! ‘

Cameroncleggout , I never thought I had any credibility to start with 😀
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2021 at 08:24
"...then the MP’s are now all a bit power mad..."

Same here and they won't let the controls go any time soon. Any excuse will do to keep the populace reigned in.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2021 at 11:01
That's why we vote for them.  To lead us wisely and in our best interests.
God bless'em!
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2021 at 14:05
Worse in Scotland because we dont get to vote for quite a few MSP`s ... and if Scots vote for independence (opposition except greens all UK parties) ... we immediately become a one-party state ...
Pyrman
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2021 at 18:35
I will not vote for the current numpty in Wales, and their is an overwhelming desire here that devolution would be a disaster as wales has very few natural resources ! And clearly the handling of covid here has had as many mistakes as the rest of the Uk
I voted to stay in the EU , but it would be fare to say the handling is a shambles there too lol
We can only vote the way that’s best for us at the time and hope it all improves everywhere in the future 👍
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2021 at 18:47
If the government ban the sale of Water from the EU in tit for tat against our fish, we will need all the Welsh and Scottish bottled water they can supply. I read in todays paper that UK inoculated more people in 1 day than the French have done since it started. 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2021 at 08:48
No more Evian and Perrier in the UK! Disaster.

Nasty old Highland Sping for you lot.

Meanwhile we here face several more weeks of social deprivation. No light at the end of our tunnel.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2021 at 11:49
I've been a long time supporter of Scots independence but have had to change my mind.  We have the vaccines as a result of far sighted decisions and deals made in the 1st & 2nd quarters of 2010 by the UK Gov.  Much as it goes against my instincts I must congratulate them.  Scotland, a small country of 5.5 million, could never have achieved such a deal.  And the EU took another 3 months to achieve less.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2021 at 13:39
I totally agree with you Jock, this last few months has been an eye opener, I sadly think Scotland and Wales would be much worse off , and the EU would never allow a quick entry , as we’ve seen from the Brexit fiasco .
We certainly would not be this far into the vaccination program if we were not independent .
I really hope the vaccines roll out faster in Portugal and we can safely visit this year at some point .
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 08:19
"I really hope the vaccines roll out faster in Portugal and we can safely visit this year at some point ."

It is estimated that it will take until September to achieve even 70% vaccination here. And don't be too hopeful of this ever going away. Last week there was an outbreak in an old people's home. Twelve peoplel caught it who had already been vaccinated.
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 08:42
Hopefully they should introduce a Covid vaccine passport which would enable people to travel around. Some are moaning about this, but when I used to travel all over the world I had to have Vaccine certificate for numerous Diseases or Viruses. otherwise I could not enter certain countries. Inside the UK I can see there is not a need for one, but outside I think its now a necessity. I've still got our room and ferry booking rolled over from last year. So September here we come. which by then we may have had the booster jab Boris mention yesterday.  
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 10:30
“Last week there was an outbreak in an old people's home. Twelve peoplel caught it who had already been vaccinated”

That is the opposite to the data shown everywhere , the vaccines are not stopping you catching the virus but they are supposed to stop serious infection and deaths ! The data from the Uk yesterday shows a dramatic drop in infections and hospitalisation, this is evident in my local hospital, the wards are emptying very fast, and a relative of mine is on a non covid ward with only 2 , with 20 plus empty beds !!

I see no reason to travel when we’re vaccinated and support the reopening of travel when rates are lower
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 11:44
22 Feb 21 - "Research led by Public Health Scotland found at four weeks after the first dose, hospital admissions were reduced by 85% and 94% for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs respectively."
Worth a read, encouraging results.  We started vaccinating people in old folks homes in December. Residents and staff.  What we don't know yet is how long immunity lasts.  Only time will tell.  There is speculation here that eventually COVID and seasonal Flu vacs. could be given together as COVID is likely to become endemic and will need boosters. 
Lots of work going on in the background.
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 14:00
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

"I really hope the vaccines roll out faster in Portugal and we can safely visit this year at some point ."

It is estimated that it will take until September to achieve even 70% vaccination here. And don't be too hopeful of this ever going away. Last week there was an outbreak in an old people's home. Twelve peoplel caught it who had already been vaccinated.

Not impossible to have symptoms of covid after having been injected but without further investigation or information it is wrong to make this statement.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2021 at 16:42
My understanding is that even after being vaccinated, you can still catch and transmit covid.  However, you and any vaccinated person you pass it on to should be protected against serious illness.  Here, in Canada, I've heard we've also had outbreaks, post-vaccination, in long term care homes but they resulted in only mild symptoms.

I agree with vaccination passports.  A speaker on a U.S. news channel claimed that up to 50% of Americans do not want the vaccine.  At that rate, the U.S. will never reach herd immunity and will continue spreading it internationally.  (I'm singling them out only because it was the news that I watched and, with such a large population, there are lots of international travellers...  I'm sure there are many other places with high anti-vax sentiment too.)  I believe a vaccine passport would motivate some ambivalent anti-vaxers to take the vaccine (I'll take my vaccine as soon as it's offered; hopefully, I won't turn green and grow horns, proving the anti-vaxers right!! lol)

But, as far as safety when travelling...  as even those who are vaccinated can catch and transmit covid, I think I would feel more comfortable if there were hard rules as to boarding planes only after a negative rapid test.  To me, that's even safer than proof of vaccination.  

Although I don't believe we'll ever be rid of covid, I don't think it's all doom and gloom!  We live with many viruses and bacteria...  many are mostly controlled by vaccines but we all still take some risk with hepatitis, malaria, etc. when we travel (and at home).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 54>
  Share Topic