Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 54>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kaaskop59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by JuliejH JuliejH wrote:

13 cases is sad, but in a population of 37 thousand that is very very small , less than 1% , in my eyes that’s not horrendous, and I think it’s most likely under control ! Trying to be more positive instead of doom and gloom now 👍

Very very small? Compare it with the whole country, 10 million people or about 200 times more, that's 2600 per week or 370 per day or way above the 'Boris' limit. The problem is like Richardk points out letting everybody in from regions and country's with way more cases. Traveling by plane isn't save like they want you to believe, there simple isn't any proof/investigation and when you see the amount of flight in my country Holland that arrive with infected people going up and up says enough about spreading the virus. People are on holiday, drinking and a lot, wanting to party a little, don't want to think about restrictions and getting ignorant about the rules. The next week will be more, can they control it is a question. I'd prefer to not being forced to find out! Hope you understand my English!
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2020 at 16:03
I understand you perfectly !! , however the cases are decreasing in Portugal, not increasing ! And yes 13 is small ! Not sure why you’re imagining huge figures ? Or indeed why you would be forced out ? I do not get the impression that the situation there is out of control, I’m a positive person not negative , so naturally tend towards the more upbeat approach 😊 Like everyone we have to live with this and follow safety measures !
Yes there are groups of youngsters who are clearly struggling with the restrictions ,mentally there are many affected and rebelling !! however the majority are following the rules , the media like to get their headlines and will only show scandalous behaviour !
The Portugal economy relies on tourism and I hope they get the air bridge and can recover ! Don’t think shutting the door and closing borders will make everyone there feel better !
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2020 at 16:05
Also 112 today , lower again !
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2020 at 19:44
This virus is not going to go away any time soon, so we must live with it. And the next one, and the one after that. Possibly the best way to stop them spreading is to confine people to their homes. Permanently, for several weeks, as they did during the 14th and 17th century plagues except to 'bring out your dead'.

I doubt that approach would be acceptable in the 21st century, especially since the effects are not life threatening for most of those affected.

Those of you of certain age will remember when measles killed a fair few people every year. I believe it still does every now and then. No to mention all the other nasties that people had to deal with before they were controlled or eradicated. Now we have another one to deal with.

The apparent obsession with non contextual statistics is not helping decision making.

Meanwhile where I am sitting in France, the old boys are still propping up the bar as they probably have been for many years. Some towns in the region have recently made mask wearing compulsory at all times when outdoors, but maybe only in certain busy streets or areas. Otherwise the rules are the same as in Portugal. There is though a sign at the start of cycle paths. This says to keep 10 metres from the person in front. The paths are barely wide enough for two bikes to pass, thus you must almost rub shoulders with someone coming the other way. That precaution seems fairly peculiar and is from what I see, mostly ignored.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2020 at 20:39
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

There is though a sign at the start of cycle paths. This says to keep 10 metres from the person in front. The paths are barely wide enough for two bikes to pass, thus you must almost rub shoulders with someone coming the other way. That precaution seems fairly peculiar and is from what I see, mostly ignored.

These viruses come around in cycles. If I were you I'd keep well away from cycle paths. 🤣🚲
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2020 at 11:15
Cheezy or wot.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2020 at 11:36
Well, this is a turn up.
Very windy and full cloud, quite grey. Forecast is 30 later, I have my doubts, and forecast says not a cloud to be seen all day! Hence the surprise.
Currently at 11.30 its climbed up to 27.8 degrees.. I’m also sensing rain may be about.
Tomorrow they say just28 degrees with it returning to low 30’s from the weekend on.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen IPMA being so wrong, and the wind continues to blow.
Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2020 at 13:49
Sorry, wrong thread. Have corrected now.
Andrew
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2020 at 16:31
The figures in Portugal were doing well, but 325 today is much higher than recent days ! Such a shame 😔
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2020 at 17:38
Oh dear, that is not good. Is there any indication of the area that these cases are from?
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2020 at 19:26
52% in Lisbon area , 204 cases, a further 8 in the Algarve, think it’s difficult to control , whether it’s confined ares of high residences, or youngsters partying , who knows , I think they appear domestic rather than imported ! Tho I’m sure some are ! Not looking good for a Uk air bridge sadly 😔
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2020 at 22:16
8 in Algarve, not bad. Not looking good for Irish air bridge either at the moment with those figures.
We had been doing well at suppressing the virus here, but in the past 2 weeks, numbers have been rising and now, where I live in the Midlands, we have been put into another lockdown, not as severe restrictions as in March/April, but travel into and out of our area is restricted.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2020 at 22:39
Sad ,but I think the figures will rise in  Portugal with height of season tourists, maybe being in their few compared to normal, but Northern Portuguese, Spanish, French etc and apparently many of them are not abiding by current regulations according to folks on certain pages  facebook  who live there. Will we see a spike after the en-masses leave? 
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2020 at 07:27
Can only hope they take it back with them but it is increasingly looking like the situation (according to statistics) will get worse and worse. And worse, until...
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/August/2020 at 12:45
For Aug 13 ... Scotland has recorded 326 new cases over 7 days ... and people regard that as quite alarming. The `population equivalent`(x12) rate for Algarve would be around 500 cases over the same period .. actual number 41. 

Pyrman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 54>
  Share Topic