Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellow daffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2020 at 11:47
unbelievable, let’s hope this is over quickly.  Cry
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 08:29
I have to go through the old town area on Sunday morning. I will post some pictures upon my return.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 08:47
Albufeira council has announced that it will suspend the fixed charges for water supply, sewerage and general waste disposal as from April's bills. Water consumption must still be paid for.

In addition, no-one will be cut off for not paying their bills - many people still pay in cash which of course they cannot for the time being with the council offices closed.

I also read that 50 apartments at Páteo Village are to be used to house essential workers who are 'self isolating' from their families during the emergency.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 09:32
It is a huge disaster here in UK because Governments failed to immediately control the shops ... and most stores are profiteering by putting up prices and only re-stocking the most expensive (toilet paper) ... in fact, by encouraging bigger crowds, Supermarkets could actually be killing people. Tesco are cramming checkouts together instead of separating them.
Well done to Portugal, France, China, etc for spotting that right away ... not any UK government`s finest hour ..
Pyrman
Lobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 10:11
Hi everyone from a newbie (in the Forum as well in the Algarve) who joined due to these dramatic circumstances. Does anybody know where you can still buy respiratory masks and disinfection wipes (to clean the smartphone). I am actually in Portimao, but maybe someone can give a hint anyway. Thanks & stay safe
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 13:55
No matter what the Government, or any Government, does it will not be right.
Haven't seen any price increases (profiteering) and I am a secret shopper.
How would you control the supermarkets?.
It is not only the UK that this unnecessary stocking up is happening. I know from friends that Canada and Germany also have empty shelves.
Can you explain what the countries you mention have done to control bulk buying from the supermarkets.
Lobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2020 at 19:06
some German Supermarkets have started to charge a multiple for the second item of the same product. One Supermarket chain now sells the first pack of toilet paper at a regular price, but the second pack involves a mandatory 5€ "donation" which will be forwarded to health organizations.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2020 at 09:31
"How would you control the supermarkets?. "

Rationing, which European governments are loath to do even if the logistics were within reason. Unfortunately selfishness and greed will always rise to the top. I hope they choke on it.

Portugal did nothing special to control food shopping.

I wonder what people are going to do with all that fresh food in a few days, when it starts to go off?

As for Lobo's question sorry I cannot help, but if it's only you that uses the phone you shouldn't have too much to worry about. You can try the big stores like Continente and Pingo Doce for example, but from what I saw here on Friday they have none. Supplies are being diverted to hospitals etc. Continente have a limit of two items per person for hand gels, if they have any to sell that is.

You could try a very weak bleach solution, but even that's probably a bit risky.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2020 at 11:07
All supermarkets should have been forced to limit the number of people inside .. and have police/security on the door to enforce it (which the s/markets have to pay for) ... there should have been a `one-way` floor marking to ensure people shop in an orderly way ... people should be restricted to 10 items leaving the store ... or they could queue again ... and queue`s should be limited also ... as above check-outs should be well apart to prevent internal contact. Stores could have been moved to 24-hour opening ... and people issued with a one-hour `window` ticket ... I am getting a Tesco delivery at 2300 on the 30th .. and I will have difficulty getting another in April ..

In an national emergency you need ORGANISATION ... and that is what is missing most in UK .. and in Scotland .. these `governments` are simply rock-bottom incompetent ..
Pyrman
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2020 at 11:48
Simple solution to stop hoarding - one hand gel 5 euros. 2 hand gels 50 euros. One pack loo rolls 5 euros. 2 packs loo rolls 50 euros......etc etc 
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2020 at 12:03
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2020 at 10:08
Now it seems that barbers and hairdressers are not essential services. A crisis for ladies no doubt.

Any advice for us who live alone on how to cut your own (men's) hair without ending up with a disaster?
Albufeira Resident

Lobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2020 at 13:53
I knew something like this would be coming, so I went to the barber ten days ago even there was still no desperate need for it.
Maybe there are some barbers offering home service, I wouldn't be scared to use such a service if the barber wears a mask.

another essential need for those with no washing mashine at their place:
The lavanderia near here is open again. They were closed and the owners posted a msg on googlemaps that they were not sure they are allowed to open.
I just walked past the place on my way to LIDL (were I could enter immediately without having to wait - surprisingly quiet) and saw they re-opened, changed opening hours with two hours in the morning now exclusively for 65+ folks only. But that's Portimao, not Albufeira
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2020 at 14:55
All camping and caravan sites will be closed to non residents by this Friday.

This creates obvious problems for those who think they can drive back to UK or wherever.

Note that this a decree and here in Portugal does not need specific legislation to back it up.

Unfortunately for the UK there is no specific background legislation on states of emergency.  Albufeira council closed all pubic spaces, restaurants and bars etc several days before the official state of emergency. UK town councils etc do not have the legal backup to do this.

Anyway if stupid, ignorant, selfish people want to flout whatever laws are put in place, how do you stop them? At least there is nowhere to go now.

France, Spain and Portugal would jail them.  UK, you will be told go home and stop being naughty?
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2020 at 15:10
Is it me or is there much more traffic today than there has been lately? Certainly sounds busier by what's going past me.

Continente (supermarket) has announced that if queuing is needed outside stores, it will be giving priority to those over 70 along with essential workers, the disabled etc.

They do not intend to reduce hours. They are putting up protective screens around tills and counters.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 54>
  Share Topic