Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Miscellaneous / Diverso
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryanair Faro Hub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryanair Faro Hub
    Posted: 07/August/2019 at 12:27
Ryanair have announced they are closing their Faro hub as part of their company wide cost cutting exercise. Could mean about 100 redundancies at FAO.    
Go away Duchatalet
Sponsored Links

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2019 at 14:36
Indeed, not good news for Ryanair Faro based staff. It also may well be not good news for frequent UK/Faro travellers!
Andrew
mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrandyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2019 at 11:29
Is this been linked to any reduction in service or are they outsourcing their operations at Faro?
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2019 at 11:34
Local press suggest it’s in retaliation to another five day strike by their staff. What the implications are regarding service, routes, frequency etc, or if it indeed does happen, remains to be revealed or seen.
Andrew
mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrandyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2019 at 12:44
Thanks Andrew
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2019 at 12:39
I think the strike may be a small part of it, but I understand the company have suffered because of the grounding on the 737s - of which they have 30 on order. Also the company has cited Brexit as one of the causes of reduced profits. 
Go away Duchatalet
mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrandyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2019 at 12:50
Globally airlines are forecasting reduced profits for 2019, Ryanair seem to react /take offence quicker than mostSmile
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2019 at 13:24
O'Leary needs every penny he can get. They will still be flying out of Porto apparently.

Anyway, there are one or two other airlines flying in and out of Faro. If he doesn't want the business, I am sure others will take it.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
drift89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drift89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2019 at 16:47
i have also read in the news they are closing the faro hub but that does not mean they will not be flying in and out of Faro airport it just means the planes will be based at another hub.and as you say it might just be sabre rattling.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2019 at 09:45
Yes - I agree David. They will still be flying here from the UK and Ireland I am sure, but maybe not from so many other destinations.  
Go away Duchatalet
Chris-Wiltshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-Wiltshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2019 at 10:20
I didn't really understand what an air transport hub meant so I googled it. Now I'm an expert on the 'hub and spoke' system that followed deregulation of the airways in the late 70s! If all the routes that fly into Faro are spokes then it suggests they won't necessarily exist once the hub is removed. But the cynic in me says OLeary won't cut his nose to spite his face quite that much if he is turning a profit on these routes, bearing in mind they come in from all over Europe, not just the UK and Ireland. My vote is for him just trying to upset the unions.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2019 at 08:44
I guess only time will tell... 
Go away Duchatalet
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2019 at 08:16
It would appear there has been a partial turnaround with the closure of Ryanair's Faro hub.

https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/09/18/ryanair-strikes-deal-with-ana-to-keep-faro-base-open
Colin
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2019 at 08:19
That's good news for some, not so much for others. But if it is impractical to keep it going as it is, you have to be pragmatic sometimes.   
Go away Duchatalet
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2019 at 10:26
O'leary is a crafty negotiator. I expect he now has what he wanted, reduction in staff costs and landing charges.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic