FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hearing only bad news - Albufeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:43
My wife and I are regular visitors and have just come back from our latest holiday. We prefer the Old Town and over the years there have been some changes which you would expect.

There are more stag and hen groups in the Old Town whereas previously they were more often confined to the Strip. However we didn't find them obtrusive or offensive. There are certainly more visitors wearing all inclusive wristbands with the inevitable knock on effect that has on restaurants and bars.

We have never seen or been offered drugs (perhaps we don't look the type!) and trust me, we do visit bars.

These gradual changes have not changed our view of Albufeira where we've made many friends and we too will be back in September/October.

Looking forward to it as always.
Colin
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:22
Of course Portugal has opened it's doors to every scumbag and drug dealer with open arms. Have you not seen the adverts "Are you a scum bag or a drug dealer? Then Portugal's the place for you!" 

Kidding of course, but it was my first reaction to your somewhat hysterical post - I mean "Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars.". Your colleagues went to every single bar in Albufeira and witnessed drugs being sold? Really? 

There are undoubtedly many groups of stags and hens this time of year - people get married in spring and summer - and some are rowdy. Where you set your bar of what is acceptable and what is not is very much down to the individual. It wont be as busy with those groups in September. 

The problem is that families keep supporting all-inclusive resorts and spend little outside, so the bar and restaurant owners need these groups to survive, otherwise the families would have nowhere to go on their once-a-week jaunt out. 

There are plenty of places to go away from the Strip and the Square, I live here and almost never venture into the tourist trap places, and we go to lots of different bars and restaurants where none of this supposed outrageous behaviour occurs.       
Go away Duchatalet
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:15
There is a long thread on Albufeira forum on Trip Advisor running along this topic. A lot of this forum members are also on that.  https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve. - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

There have always been stag/hen parties they peak around April/May and October, when prices are lower. This year has been no worse that any other as far as I can see, I was in Albufeira in Feb, March, April, and May and back over this Sunday. The strip is for the party crowd, i would not bring a young family there, but I would not bring them to Temple Bar on a Saturday night either.

My honest opinion is yes there are crowds of drunks around some weekends, probably not in high season, but Albufeira is big enough to avoid them as they tend to hang in the same areas.  There is the train of thought that we all should be able to wander around without having "no-go" areas, but also if people want to spend their time and money drinking all day that is their choice.

We bought an apartment in the Old Town in 2011 and are there increasingly as our family grew up, I love it there, feel completely safe. Never been offered drugs.

Choose your accommodation carefully. Avoid the Strip. You'll be fine.
Alamo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 12:58
Some of my work colleagues have recently returned from Hols in the Albufeira area with there families. The reports are concerning to say the least. The number of Stag and Hen parties in and around the old town is out of control. The strip is a right off for families as the behaviour of these people is frightening. Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars. Taxi drivers are telling tourist that it is getting worse.
I am due to visit Portugal this Sept/Oct after a one year gap.Surely it cannot have gone down hill, to this degree. I love Portugal- Its beaches- food - people but I am not prepared to expose my family to this. Would some of the regulars on here be prepared to give there honest opinion on this. I do know that other resorts can and do get this type of tourist but have Portugal opened its doors to every Scum bag/drub dealer with open arms.

regards
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic