Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for you...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for you...
    Posted: 13/May/2019 at 21:21
Took this picture looking down on Cabana Fresca building, right on the front.
My query is, what are the two stones, sticking out of, built into the wall, one above the other by about eight feet for?
They have holes through them, I did think flag pole but why would the bottom one have a complete through hole and not a blind hole if so? Also, the roof line is in the way. So, any ideas what theses are or were for?

Andrew
Sponsored Links

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2019 at 08:19
The fact that they are stone suggests to me that they could be an original feature of the building. The roofline could have changed over the years so that may not preclude your theory of a flagpole. They may also been part of an old downpipe and guttering system.

On the other hand it could be something totally different! I think some old photos of the building are required. 😏
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2019 at 09:41
Here you go Col, they can be clearly seen in the background, roof line looks the same so, although they can be seen and clearly some years ago, I don’t know if this pic helps much?

Andrew
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2019 at 13:33
Andrew

The first picture shows (to the right of the red car) flag poles that are angled from a stone base similar to those your referring to and which avoid the roofline so that theory bites the dust BUT-

Picture two appears to show something going vertically through the roof overhang (hence two stone brackets). Could it be a stovepipe or flu coming from, or adjacent to, the first floor window?

what is the nearest gas station

Next time you're in a restaurant concentrate on the food 🤣
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2019 at 14:35
Cheers Col.
A further search of my library and I found this pic. It has a pole in it, vertical so I don’t understand the roof line, but it isn’t a flag pole. I wonder if it was telephone or electricity?

Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2019 at 14:38
And similarly this pic. Most interesting, I shall make further enquiries on next visit, or perhaps heed your advice and concentrate on the food, or, hic, the vino tinto! 🍷

Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2019 at 10:12
I wondered if they were holders for some kind of old drainpipe.

I looked at several of those old pictures and some others, but they are not quite distinct enough to make out what is in the brackets.

Frustrating, innit?

I will be in town later and will see if I can spot anything similar.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2019 at 11:23
Bottom one for tying up your horse. Top one for tying up your giraffe??!!
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2019 at 12:13
Now why didn't I think of that, it's obvious!
Colin
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2019 at 10:11
The bottom one is solid, so I am going flagpole. Top  ring for lashings. Given the location it's possible that the building had some official function when the fishing trade still worked off the quay. I haven't seen anything similar, but perhaps in the manner of these more modern examples.

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic