Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Sports Results & Opinions/Resultados Desportivos e Opiniões
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgarve Womens Cup 2019 - Event Date: 27/February/2019 - 05/March/2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Algarve Womens Cup 2019
    Posted: 07/December/2018 at 16:07
Bit early I Know but a couple of things have come to light ..

Japan and Brazil are going to USA for the `She Believes Cup`with USA and England ... to replace France and Germany who are staying in Europe to prepare for the World Cup in France ..

Scotland and Switzerland will be back in the Algarve Cup, 2019. I have flights booked for £60 return ... priority and 2 cabin bags, not bad. Basic fare (and small bag) only £36 ..
Pyrman
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2018 at 09:06
Thank you sir.  Denmark and of course Portugal will also compete, China are usually among the teams. Fixtures as and when available.

For those who may not know, the matches are played all across the Algarve and admission is free. A lot of dates are likely to be 'double headers' ie two games on the same day, one in the afternoon and one in the evening on the same ground.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/December/2018 at 12:21
Two more regular contestants will not be at the Algarve Cup 2019 ... currently losing a bit of its shine.  South Korea will take part in a four team tournament in Australia, along with Argentina and New Zealand. It isn`t yet clear what France and Germany will be doing, but don`t rule out the possibility of a four team at some of the World Cup venues as well ...

From being No.1 a few short years ago, the Algarve Cup could be 4th division this year .. and being last at everything does not help ... as above USA and Australia have revealed their matches ... and Cyprus Cup is also published ..
A - Czech.R, Finland, N.Korea, S.Africa
B - Hungary, Italy, Mexico, Thailand
C - Austria, Belgium, Nigeria, Slovenia

Pyrman
Lofters View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/January/2019 at 00:04
The teams of Spain and China have declared for the Algarve Cup it seems, making six at the mo together with Scotland, Portugal, Switzerland and Denmark.
With Australia, S Korea and Japan from last Winters tournament opting for elsewhere, I guess the organisers will be trying for another half dozen to make their usual dozen, ..... if  Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Norway, Iceland, Russia all return from last Winters comp that would make quite a good quality field.
Would be nice to see the Germans and/or the French tho I'd be surprised if their prep for the imminent World Cup included the Algarve.
Looking forward to it already......Clap 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/January/2019 at 09:44
Let's hope they get a few more but with the inducements now being offered by the other tournaments, I can see it becoming more and more difficult to organise this one with no major sponsor.
Albufeira Resident

Ookpik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2019 at 00:52
A number of issues have been at play in recent years:   last minute organization; incredibly poor communications; FIFA permitting competing tournaments in the same time period; national soccer organizations treating women's soccer as being of little importance.
Despite having a national and youth teams which are far superior to the national men's teams, the Canadian Soccer Association appears to provide little real support for our national women's team.   My family has attended international games in Canada which attracted more than 20 000 spectators proudly wearing their red and white supporters' regalia.   Yet, it is unable to provide up to date information on our participation in tournaments such as the Algarve Cup.   Local media in the Algarve virtually ignores the tournament, resulting in "crowds" of 50-60 swelling to 200 for finals in the cavernous Algarve stadium.   Meanwhile thousands of  Canadian snowbirds would be delighted to attend if they knew when the teams were playing and game locations and dates.   Add to this the tens of thousands of snowbirds from the UK, Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavia and the visiting teams would feel much more appreciated.   With larger crowds, organizations would find it easier to find sponsors with deeper pockets to bring back the former more competitive teams to the Algarve Cup.  There is a huge audience of ex-pats, winter long-stay and shorter vacationers as well as local fans looking for diversions such as this but they need to be informed.   It is now the second week of January, only 6-7 weeks from the tournament and no-one seems to know when it will be held, who is playing, where the games will be played, what is the schedule, ...   It's time someone took charge and supported the amazing skills and enthusiasm of millions of young women eager to represent their countries on a world class stage.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2019 at 09:33
Originally posted by Ookpik Ookpik wrote:

A number of issues have been at play in recent years:   last minute organization; incredibly poor communications; FIFA permitting competing tournaments in the same time period; national soccer organizations treating women's soccer as being of little importance.
Despite having a national and youth teams which are far superior to the national men's teams, the Canadian Soccer Association appears to provide little real support for our national women's team.   My family has attended international games in Canada which attracted more than 20 000 spectators proudly wearing their red and white supporters' regalia.   Yet, it is unable to provide up to date information on our participation in tournaments such as the Algarve Cup.   Local media in the Algarve virtually ignores the tournament, resulting in "crowds" of 50-60 swelling to 200 for finals in the cavernous Algarve stadium.   Meanwhile thousands of  Canadian snowbirds would be delighted to attend if they knew when the teams were playing and game locations and dates.   Add to this the tens of thousands of snowbirds from the UK, Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavia and the visiting teams would feel much more appreciated.   With larger crowds, organizations would find it easier to find sponsors with deeper pockets to bring back the former more competitive teams to the Algarve Cup.  There is a huge audience of ex-pats, winter long-stay and shorter vacationers as well as local fans looking for diversions such as this but they need to be informed.   It is now the second week of January, only 6-7 weeks from the tournament and no-one seems to know when it will be held, who is playing, where the games will be played, what is the schedule, ...   It's time someone took charge and supported the amazing skills and enthusiasm of millions of young women eager to represent their countries on a world class stage.

We have been saying the same for years Denis. It applies to all forms of sport and entertainment in Algarve, not just women's football. 

Case in point. A few years back I accidentally discovered the date that the tour of Algarve cycle race had a stage finish in Albufeira. As this happens every year, and every year the first we hear of it is when the stand goes up opposite McDonalds - 24 hours before - I e-mailed them and asked if they could send some flyers that I would distribute around the bars owned by friends so that folk would actually know the event was taking place. Not even an acknowledgment of receipt of the e-mail was forthcoming...        
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2019 at 10:03
There is as yet no confirmation of the teams taking part this year, although as you have read several of the top nations who previously came have been 'invited' to play in more lucrative tournaments elsewhere. My man in the know says that all arrangements are in the hands of the Portuguese Football Association and that we can expect confirmed information around the end of January.

Fliers were printed last year and could be picked up eg in supermarkets but publicity in local media was very poor. But then that is the case for most sports and events as we have become used to. Local press does not even publish most kickoff times for what little football there is, so the casual fan has little hope of getting to a game.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2019 at 14:49
Couldn`t agree with you more Ookpik ... I have already e-mailed the FPF on that level.... no `liaison`between FPF, Councils and Tourism Algarve means it could become a dead duck. Will it be more than a wet kick-about .. ?

But, it worked .. they have published the basic prog .. Change of format for 2019 ... teams get three games over four dates Feb 27, Mar 1, 4 and 6, by the looks of it ..
Group A
Canada (5th), Iceland (22nd) and Scotland (20th)
Group B
Spain (12th), the Netherlands (7th) and Poland (34th)
Group C
Norway (13th), Denmark (17th) and China (15th)
Group D
Sweden (9), Switzerland (18) and Portugal (32)

no fixtures yet ...  cheers
Pyrman
Lofters View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2019 at 16:14
Oh, so close to a full house guesstimate! Cry
Eleven out of twelve..... just missed Poland in for Russia.
Looks like four games on each of the first three dates followed by the six playoff matches on day four..... which would bear a similarity to previous years.
**Theyd have to come up with a system to differentiate the four Group winners et al.
Maybe no draws [penalty shootouts for a point] and/or goal difference, like the Atlantic Cup later this month. 

** Now I see that Soccerway have announced a way to sort out the playoffs. The Groups appear to be seeded. A and B to play off.....the two winners for the title, runners up for 5/6 and third teams for 9/10. Likewise for C and D to decide 3/4, 7/8 and 11/12.

Ookpik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2019 at 04:31
Well done, this is good to know:  I can get my Team Canada shirt, scarf, flag and hat out of storage and into my suitcase.   I expect this info will be published in the Can. Soccer Assoc. website by the end of March!

Equally good news is that 7 of the 12 teams have qualified for the FIFA World Cup in France this year so the calibre of play should be good.   Unfortunately, Sweden's fine team missed out for France but will be very welcome in the Algarve.

I am starting a rumour that the Swedish and Dutch teams are bringing surfboards with them in case the weather is as bad as it was last year!   Watching them body surf in Lagoa while waiting to play in the final was a testimony to their wonderful spirit.   Since this will also  be the Carnaval weekend, we can guarantee good weather for soccer since the heavens will be co-operating Wink.

Denis
Ookpik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2019 at 04:46
The Portugal Football Federation notes that the venues will be the same as last year: Parchal, Algarve Stadium, Vila Real, Albufeira, Lagos.   In my previous post, I said the final last year was in Lagoa and it should have been Parchal; I was confused by the torrential rain.

As an aside, the covered area of the seating was largely denied to the spectators by police type yellow tapes.   Security refused to allow people to sit in these seats despite the heavy rain.   They were reserved for the non-existent media, dignitaries, politicians and Donald TrumpOuch.
Ookpik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2019 at 04:52
What a beautiful stadium, the Algarve!   What a shame it is mostly used for local markets and non sports events.   Impressive (empty) parking lots; soaring sails covering the seating; apparently a well-maintained soccer field.   Looking forward to watching our Canadian team playing there in the finalsSmileBig smile.
Ookpik View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2019 at 05:08
Once again, it's time to eat humble pie!   Of course Sweden qualified for the World Cup (I may have been overlooking them because they totally outplayed us in Portugal last year!).   Also, to my total surprise, the Canadian Soccer Association website had a very thorough report on the Algarve Cup and its preparations for the World Cup.   It even listed the players who will be going to Europe for friendlies in Spain, the Algarve Cup and the World Cup.   Now, all that remains is to see if our new coach continues with his new plan to play dull, duller or very dull defensive strategy despite having great attacking players to work with.   This could be a great year for women's soccer.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2019 at 08:56
The Algarve Stadium field is currently being used by the Third Division team of Louletano, whose 'crowds' of around 200 fit easily into the available seats.

The Gibraltar national team played some European Championship qualifying games there, notably against Scotland when about 8,000 were in attendance. Gibraltar's own stadium has now been passed as suitable so those games won't happen again.

There will be some 'winter break' matches during late January and February featuring teams from the colder parts of Europe but this year also China. See http://www.theatlanticcup.com/

But, yes, other than the occasional friendly or U-23 match the stadium is a faded relic of Euro 2004 as are some others in country, built for the tournament but far too big and expensive to operate for the local teams, whose crowds are numbered in hundreds rather than thousands.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic