Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Nightlife / Vida Nocturna
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Over priced bars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Over priced bars
    Posted: 17/June/2018 at 12:55
Was in warehouse the bar just behind tic tac bar last night they were charging €5 for a beer ripping off the tourists that's one bar we won't be revisiting
Sponsored Links

cameroncleggout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncleggout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2018 at 16:11
5euro for Carling, Heineken etc is not too bad, but for the Local rubbish its well over priced 
cameronout
dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2018 at 16:58
It was the local beer I don't mind paying a bit more if they have a live band on but as you say €5 is over the top vertigo had a live band on local beer was still only €3
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2018 at 23:24
Ahem the "local rubbish" is way better than Carling and Heineken
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2018 at 23:31
Sagres is the best beer, and pity they don't sell Cristal on draught cos that my fav, only seem to sell in bottles. Wonder why???? Apart from that the vinho tinto is good, only out of the bottle though and not on draught, as draught is el  Cr*po.

Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2018 at 08:28
It's only a 'rip off' (how 60's man) if the price is not clearly shown on notices, which is required by law as it is in the UK. But it seems many tourists are happy to pay double the price it usually is because of the supposed upscale ambience.

Does anyone really expect the tourist traps around the square to charge the same as a small bar in the back streets?

But, once bitten twice shy and a useful warning for those not in the know.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2018 at 12:19
When I'm waiting at the rail station in Ferreiras I sit outside the shop (Papelaria?) and enjoy a bottle of the "local rubbish" - Sagres or Super Bock, can't remember which. €1 a bottle. Off the beaten track but often it's good to sit at peace and watch the world go by or read a book.
And no Hiawatha with his verdammt pan pipes.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2018 at 12:22
Originally posted by Luis Luis wrote:

Ahem the "local rubbish" is way better than Carling and Heineken

Cristal and Sagres certainly are. The others... mmmm… ConfusedSmile 
Go away Duchatalet
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2018 at 21:48
I think it’s all things to all people... Sagres in PT, draught or bottle, is nectar. Over here, at Nando’s or from the warehouse, is just an ordinary lager. Just been to Corfu, “Corfu beer” on draught, in 36 degrees, very acceptable, at the airport out of a bottle, I didn’t buy a second one! Super Bock, out of a bottle, ok ‘ish, on draught ok ‘ish except, some locations like, and I’m sure there are others, Praia de Gale, nectar....
My conclusion, six and two three’s, take a chill pill, try it, if it ticks the box great, if it doesn’t, move on but it isn’t, imho, a hard and fast rule. I can suffer the occasional not the best beer knowing I can stick that down to experience and we move on.
And that’s just PT, get us back to the UK and start on the the real ales... Enville, beer of the gods! And I’ll fight anyone who says different ! 😉😂🍺
Andrew
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2018 at 22:44
Cristal is fantastic i agree,my favourite beer and really really hard to find on draught but there are a few Portuguese cafes where it can be found :)
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2018 at 13:13
Rip Off?
Was chatting to an English couple on the bus a couple of weeks ago who were staying at The Pine Cliffs.
28 Euro for 2 Gin & Tonics
A small beer in there (200ml) is 7 Euro as is a coke or a bottle of water.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2018 at 13:40
Glad that when the uk post office does its country price comparison it manages to find a place with sensible prices. Just too many rip off prices mentioned on TA reviews to list them - 3.5 for small coke, 7.5 for nachos and squirty tube cheese, 2.5 for breadsticks, 7.5 for bottle of cider - it's putting a dampener on peoples nights out as there are always 'extra costs' and too many owners treating tourists like fools
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2018 at 16:38
Tourist and fool do often go quite nicely together and not just here in Portugal. That machine at the exit from Faro airport must be working well. But when in a 5 star hotel you pay five star prices.

And at Balaia Golf Club!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2018 at 17:37
The prices charged at the Pine Cliffs are great for businesses like the Brothers Bar, and the handful of restaurants opposite who have many customers from there. Food and drinks are a fraction of the price. It’s only 2.5 euros for a 500 ml draught beer and 3 euros for a 500ml bottle of Erdinger (both perfectly chilled) at the Brothers, and meals are about a quarter of the price in the restaurants.
The Intermarche opposite is also a goldmine. Whatever time of day or evening you go, it is always packed, and you see guests buying trolleys full of shopping before loading it in their suitcases and heading back across the road. The supermarket is really too small for the volume of customers, and basic everyday items are often sold out resulting in us having to trek to the store farther down the road.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2018 at 20:51
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

The prices charged at the Pine Cliffs are great for businesses like the Brothers Bar, and the handful of restaurants opposite who have many customers from there. Food and drinks are a fraction of the price.

After many years of having a very good idea of what happens in there, my guess would be that out of the 2,500 (and soon to be nearly 3,500) guests staying at the Pine Cliffs every week in July & August that 80-90% of them never leave the resort from the moment they arrive until the moment they go home.
Furthermore, as the vast majority of guests never pay for anything at the time of comsumption (it's all booked to their rooms), and because price lists aren't exactly easy to find, they never realize what things cost until they pay up when they check out.

A few more examples -
15 euro a day to let your kid participate in the daily football game which is really nothing more than a half hour kickabout.
4.5 euro for a cheap swimming cap if you want to use the indoor pool - but you're only allowed to use the cap once and then buy another one next time.
15 euro per day for Wi-Fi in your apartment/vila/room.
90 euro per day to send your wee ones to the Kids Club.
160 euro if you book your airport transfer through the hotel.

Part of a review posted 2 weeks ago on Trip Advisor -

I booked a week at Pine Cliffs with my partner and our 2 kids aged 12 and 2, the room was around £1500 for the week which when I booked I felt was great value for a supposedly luxury resort arguably one of the best in Europe.
Add 3 spa treatments, 7 breakfasts, bike hire which is necessary, (its a big resort!) , 3 days in kids club and 1 meal a day (dinner or lunch) at one of the restaurants and the final bill came in at over £2,000 for just the one week + room rate and flights and its a £5000 1 week holiday!, for Portugal! (this is not the Maldives or Caribbean!!!)
We don't drink but if you like your drink you can add another £500 to that total and if you want full board add another £700. Dinner for 4 is almost impossible to achieve for less than £100, a light lunch at Zest restaurant for 4 will set you back £80, if you want to use the indoor pool, they will charge you 4.5 euro (per cap) for obligatory swimming caps, so a family of 4 indoor swim is £15 (surely this should be free!)
Whoever runs this place has worked out how to bleed you dry.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic