Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fire Areas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fire Areas
    Posted: 15/May/2018 at 20:58
Ola!
I am doing a search of best places to live in the Algarve area, and have seen many recommendations here in this forum.
I am aware that fires are a problem in this region as well, as in other areas in Portugal. So....can you please tell me where this is more of a problem in this region so I don't buy a home in that area?
Obrigado.
Sponsored Links

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2018 at 08:52
Anywhere in the countryside can be affected. So buy in town.   
Go away Duchatalet
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2018 at 12:10
I've been following the wildfires in Portugal through the media and fogos.pt.  It doesn't look good while this heat and drought continue.
It amazes me that most firefighters in Portugal are volunteers. I know we have some in the UK but not to the extent in Portugal.  I'm very impressed by these men and women who put themselves in harms way for little money.  The best I can find is that while on duty they get less than €2.00 an hour.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2018 at 15:23
Bearing in mind the high rate of taxation in Portugal, it begs the question what are we paying for? 

The fires have destroyed the land around my friends places in Taipas, and the utility supplies have been wiped out - electricity cables and water pipes. No one was hurt, but the dogs guarding the Taipas Medronho still are missing, and the bushes that are harvested to make the Medronho are gone, so poor Jose's business has finished. The buildings were singed but not burned fortunately.     
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2018 at 08:57
Fogos.pt reported that just over 1,000 men and 300 appliances were fighting that fire  north of Monchique yesterday. The third serious fire in that area in recent times I read. Luckily there have been only a couple of very small outbreaks elsewhere.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2018 at 11:55
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2018 at 12:54
had a night flight home last night. you could see the whole area ablaze with several fronts all around the mountains. on top looked a severe fire with the whole top glowing orange. an eerie sight indeed. 
AlgarveFlat.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlgarveFlat.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/August/2018 at 13:15
Fires can happen anywhere, no matter in Town or country side. We have more problems with Eucalyptus plantations, try avoid them.
Best places to live always depend on what we need around and life style we wish. One important point and almost mandatory is to have a car, without car will be always hard to have freedom to move around and public transports aren't great solution. If decision is to have some land/house away from city then a car is really mandatory.
I would approach several real estate agencies located in Algarve to query for options, Albufeira, Quarteira, Faro, etc... all different and no one better than local agencies to give better info and deals.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic