Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Money transfer to UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Money transfer to UK
    Posted: 14/May/2018 at 13:44

Can anyone advise of the best method of transferring money from Portugal to UK.
Santander transfer facility that we use to transfer money to Portugal does not have a facility to transfer money back to the U.K.
(This is question is to help advise a Portuguese friend to transfer money to the U.K. for a house purchase)
Algarve - The closest thing to heaven !
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2018 at 15:36
Surely if somebody has a Bank Account with any Portuguese Bank then there must be a system in place to transfer money to a UK Bank Account.
I've never had to do it but before I used the Santander transfer method (i.e. for money from the UK to Portugal) I simply went to my NatWest Bank and did it via them.
There has got to be a reverse process because it must happen hundreds of times every day of the week.
No doubt you will get a reduced exchange rate and you'll probably have to pay a fee.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
LIBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/May/2018 at 18:40
I was surprised to be told by Santander that the U.K./Portugal money transfer they offer, does not operate the other way around. I was just wondering what is the least expensive way to do it, eg via bank transfer or fx companies.

jamieandanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieandanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2018 at 14:37
Look into Transferwise, I found them easy to use, very good exchange rate and good for house purchase.
LIBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2018 at 09:26
Many thanks DICEYUK and Jamieandanne for your replies.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2018 at 09:41
I have to do this from time to time. I just transfer money using my bank's website from my account here to a UK bank account. There is a fee but nothing huge and the normal commercial exchange rate applies.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
LIBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2018 at 18:15
Thanks Cubsur,
karldaly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karldaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2018 at 06:59
If you are looking to send money as conveniently and cheaply as possible then ExcelCurrencies is a good option. It only charges a small percentage of the overall transfer as its fee.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2018 at 09:06
And as said before, for £500 or more, FairFX don’t charge a bean.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic