Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro rate at moment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 105>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2020 at 16:33
A casual look at Euronet machines says that a lot of them are currently out of service. Certainly the one in my street is.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/June/2020 at 18:24
Oh dear, this isn’t good news from FairFX if you use their currency card, thankfully I haven’t topped ours up ready for our upcoming trip.
Cut and paste from email they sent me this afternoon...

We have been advised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) that they have temporarily suspended the regulated activities of one of our card issuers – Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd, the UK subsidiary of Wirecard AG.

This means that you cannot currently use your FairFX card.

As per FCA guidelines, all issuers, including Wirecard, are required to hold customers’ funds in a safeguarded account, which means that they are protected in situations like this. You can find out more information from the FCA here.

We appreciate that this may be disruptive to you. Please be assured that our team is working tirelessly with the FCA, Wirecard and Mastercard to get you back up and running as soon as possible.

Until the FCA unfreeze these funds to make them accessible to customers, FairFX cardholders will not be able to use their cards.

We apologise for the disruption caused by Wirecard’s situation and will inform you as soon as you are able to use your card again.

Andrew
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2020 at 14:11
Technical rate now 1.10 .... Ramsdens are giving 1.087 ... if any cambio is open in Algarve, you will be lucky to get 1.00 .. as you will at any airport.
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2020 at 16:10
Most of the change shops are closed. After all, few people who are able to come here need to change money! No-one should bring £ here and change for €. You would better off using your cards in Multibanco ATM´s.

Anyway, in the one that was open they were offering €1.03 for £1.

For the benefit of other nationalities, other rates were :-

USD 0.85; Canadian 0.6; Swiss 0.871; Denmark 0.122; Norway and Sweden 0.085 and Australia 0.556
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2020 at 09:25
Roughly the same mid July ... 1.1064 today .. will possibly go down when people start buying more euros ..
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2020 at 09:46
I will check for the latest cash rate when in town later. Does anyone still change cash here?
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2020 at 16:04
Today's rates for cash, very little change.

£ 1.03
USD 0.833
CAD 0.585
CHF 0.866
DKK 0.122
NOK 0.086
SEK 0.088
AUD 0.556
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2020 at 10:13
Now down to €1.02 for £1 for anyone silly enough to bring £ here to change.

Probably the only way the cambios can afford to stay open with 90% of those coming here not needing to change money and most who do are using cards.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/October/2020 at 14:45
It is a long time since we have had any reason to comment about  the £ _ € rate but as I am sitting opposite acambio it is 1.025 € to the £
Albufeira Resident

Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2020 at 12:10
If only we could turn the clock back!   In 1992, my first visit we were getting $242 escudos to the £. In 1999 it was $306 to the £. Then in 2002 it was €1.52 to £. Ah well happy days.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2020 at 08:55
Actual rate has been around 1.10 for some time now ... but `deal or no deal` sure to have an effect soon ..
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2020 at 09:08
Tourists or no tourists will probably have more of an effect across the Eurozone. The cost of changing small amounts of £ cash will drive the rate down locally. For UK based suppliers of € the cost of obtaining them could increase.

The simple fact that cash is now a big no-no in many situations won't help either.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2020 at 12:26
Over the last couple of months I've found the convenience of paying even small amounts by contactless as bars & shops want as little physical contact with customers as possible.
When I'm in Albufeira, though, I'm not buying big ticket items but meals, drinks and taxis.  Could I use a card for these payments over there?
The thing I like about cash is when it's spent it's spent.  When my pocket is empty I know it must be time to go home.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2020 at 12:38
Still many places where cash is king mate. Very few places prefer card payment.  
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2020 at 08:57
Taxis don't take cards, neither do most small bars and similar. Cash will never be refused anywhere. Yesterday in Continente I was behind an Irish couple at the checkout who paid a bill of over €100 in cash.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 105>
  Share Topic