Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEU membership How do we vote ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Topic: EU membership How do we vote ?
    Posted: 21/February/2016 at 09:04
With the date now confirmed what are the implications for leaving the EU for those of us with holiday homes or business. here?
Plus points of being EU members:
Wills, as EU members our UK estate will include our Portuguese assetts
Recipricol tax arrangements
Bar owners, temp seasonal staff not requiring work permits

Poss lots more but am also sure there are good reasons for leaving that am not aware of.

Any thoughts?   
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 09:48
Think I'm voting "in" but probably would even if I didn't have property here.

As an owner abroad, and a regular visitor spending 4 to 5 months a year here, these are the implications that immediately spring to mind -

£/€ rate would probably plummet - €1.10 has been forecast.
Not good if you spend £10k a year here.
However, that would be ok if you want sell up but then the number of British buyers would reduce so it might be more difficult to sell.

EU reciprocal health care (European Health Insurance) would undoubtably cease.

Significant reduction in the amount of alchohol/tobacco/cigarettes that you would be able to take home.

I think if we came out then we would sell up as soon as possible.
Probably end up buying a static caravan in the UK Wink

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 10:04
If the vote is out, in extremis UK citizens could lose the right to live and work in EU countries and vice versa, without going through all kinds of hoops. Loads of footballers out on their ear immediately?

That is one thing I shall be investigating, although I cannot imagine we would all be asked to leave.

New passports required?

Full customs examinations at all UK ports and airports when arriving from EU. That should create a few jobs on the plus side.

End of reciprocal tax arrangements?

UK citizens living abroad for less than 15 years have a vote, something we shall need to find out about.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 11:09
I suppose I can understand a bit that some want to secede.  Irritating rules apparently from Brussels, but not always so.  Interference with our court decisions etc.
However, we have had over 70 years of peace among the original EU members and for me that is priceless.  We are all friends including France and Germany.
I'm for staying in.  Fortunately we're not a Schengen country.  That agreement is probably on borrowed time anyway.
It'll be interesting to see how the vote goes in each country of the UK.  It seems that the greatest pressure for secession comes from England but we shall see.
Once more we live in interesting times.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Analogue.man.in.a.di View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 16:01

If the UK quits then it may well be that any number of Brits will have to head home - especially if they're retired on fixed pensions or have health issues. The prospect of a plunging £ will be no help either. Yes, I'd think new passports at the very least plus, maybe, 3 or 5 year revolving alien registrations - including biometric ID data stored by the Police - similar to the old French Carte de sejour system, to keep Euro-pol happy.

Driving and car insurance will be hit - remember the only reason UK underwriters can extend insurance cover to drive on a UK licence is due to the reciprocal EU arrangements - so maybe a requirement to take a new test & change licences for ex-pats and more costs for insurance.
Finally, it seems to me that non-residents would almost certainly be subject to a number of additional taxes or wealth levies - the Portuguese would reason that unless UK ex-pats begin, at the very least, to pay at the same rates as their citizens, there's no point in subsidising them since their properties can just as well be used by their younger population.
Interesting times.
(Yo'll pass that Confederate flag now- y'hear) Wink
mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 16:16
If that happens the last recession in Portugal will seem like a picnic in the park, exodus of comparitvely well off Brits,with the collapse of an already fragile property market, massive downturn in tourism due to poor exchange rate, and the return of thousands of young Portuguese workers from the UK looking for none existent jobs.
I hope I am wrong.
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 19:56
To me its a no brainer I regard myself as European and the reasons for staying in far outweigh the ones for leaving.A referendum scares the hell out of me as Jock says we live in interesting times but I would say frighting times.
caz
cameroncleggout View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/February/2016 at 20:22
Bonkers Boris has joined the out campaign. NO WAY BOYO, do you think we would trust the Conservatives to look after Human rights, workers rights etc? No, they would take great pleasure in removing all rights from " ordinary people" and give more power to the rich and the bloody royalty.
cameronout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 11:00
Well said.I see he has had his haircut is that to make him look less bonkers the guys an idiot.
caz
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 11:06
Rights? Rights?? Since when has anyone in a modern western country had rights?

"We are are all slaves to a system we can do nothing about, short of armed insurrection."

(I read that somewhere. Look where the last lot of revolutions got anyone! I suppose at least France, Germany, Italy and Portugal get to elect their royalty.)

I can see the agents for 70% of English Premier League footballers anxiously engaging in seeking new clubs for their horde of EU clients. Sky Sports going out of business as the foreign superstars flee the UK and the product becomes unsellable.

These are the kind of scare stories we shall no doubt be reading in the coming months.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 11:54
Where's Dicey's post gone?
Andrew
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 12:15
As a resident, very much "in". Like Dicey I would be voting that way regardless.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 12:30
People fought for years  for Womens rights,Workers rights and Childrens rights and got them.The point is this government are bit by bit taking them all away,cutting services to limits where bus services ,libraries and museums no longer exist.If you dont run a car you might have a bus pass but cant use it so Your right to go anywhere has been taken away.Oh sorry it doesnt happen in the South.I dread to think what will happen if we do leave.
caz
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 13:03
mmmm seems  posts have been deleted. Why!!!!
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/February/2016 at 13:42
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Where's Dicey's post gone?

I thought about what I had posted overnight & decided it was best to delete it.
I don't want to get into a political slanging match with other members & thereby compromise the integrity of this forum.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic