Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedenglish tv

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: english tv
    Posted: 07/January/2017 at 10:41
we are moving to Portugal in the next few months , we are buying a place just outside albufeira (benaciate)  ,whats the best way to get English tv ?  
Sponsored Links

hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 11:52
I suppose this will be the BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 12:28
all depends on what you want to spend. dish pointing at forces sat gets best bbc and itv but no record. sky with subscription and hide your internet via a VPN and then all as normal except lots of channels only on catch up but at least you can record in hd and watch at leisure. amazon firestick , android tv boxes (search kodi)and now tv boxes good, again hidden behind vpn. all other options via internet with no record, buffering, pop ups and no hd. or a smart tv with appropriate apps and again maybe need to hide internet to make it appear you are in uk. I have the full sky package and just record bbc and itv as cant watch live. if i need live tv i have now tv and a firestick or have apps on tv. 
stevemc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 14:04
thanks ,we have a firestick now in England ,didn't realize it would work in Portugal
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/January/2017 at 15:39
If you're having internet -

Filmon  - http://www.filmon.com/group/uk-live-tv
No VPN required and completely free - about a dozen channels.
Also available in Windows Store

Otherwise you can use Media Hint - https://mediahint.com/
Hides your ISP for $3.95 (£3) a month or $39.50 (£32) a year.
Works for most UKTV Channels including BBC & ITV iPlayers and 4OD + you can also get all BBC Radio Stations and the BBC webpages are the UK version, not the World version.

If you have an Android device (phone or tablet) you can install an app called Mobdro - https://www.mobdro.com/
More UK channels on there than you can shake a stick at, including all Sky Sports & BT Sports.
Completely free.

Another good VPN for Android (or Windows) is Touch VPN - available from the appropriate App Store and completely free to install & run.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2017 at 11:05
Originally posted by stevemc stevemc wrote:

thanks ,we have a firestick now in England ,didn't realize it would work in Portugal

As dicey said filmon is great hooked up to tv. and gets plenty of English channels.
We have just bought an iptv box in England and brought it over here and it works great. All the English channels,sky, 3 o clock kick offs etc but that was only so we had a bit more choice and we could use remote to change channels.
Gilsao View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/January/2017 at 16:13
Hi and Happy New Year
Has anyone on here got a Potugeuse satellite TV set up? I've read that they have up to 4000 European radio and TV channels and was wondering if any of you have experience of these.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 10:49
"Has anyone on here got a Potugeuse satellite TV set up? I've read that they have up to 4000 European radio and TV channels and was wondering if any of you have experience of these."

I have cable which is about the same as satellite offerings and no they don't have anything like 4000 channels! They offer about 100 TV channels in basic packages with premium film and sport channels extra. They cannot offer British channels except for BBC World News, BBC Entertainment and Sky News.  Any programme made in English (American mostly) is broadcast in English with Portuguese sub-titles except for children's cartoons. In fact almost all programmes from other countries are broadcast in the original language and sub-titled.

I can receive BBC Radios 1,2,3,4 but not 5 plus numerous other British, US, French and Spanish radio stations as well as all the Portuguese broadcasts via that system, but via internet there is an infinite number of radio stations that can be listened to.

You can check the various offerings on the websites 

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 11:51
Originally posted by Gilsao Gilsao wrote:

I've read that they have up to 4000 European radio and TV channels

In the words of Pink Floyd - "Got thirteen channels of sh*t on the T.V. to choose from" (it was written in the 1970's)
Or for Portuguese TV, multiply that by 10 Wink
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 14:51
Local daytime TV is indeed the worst. Not that I ever was at home watching UK daytime TV there.

200 channels and I am watching the BDO darts on Channel 4 via filmon.tv - sad innit.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/January/2017 at 15:35
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Local daytime TV is indeed the worst.

The woman who runs the hairdressers downstairs in our block has it on all day.
It just consists of half a dozen people talking about God knows what, a few acts that are absolutely appalling and an audience of about 20 people who clap politely but presumably only when they're told too.
It's the same all day long, every day of the week and as far as I can make out each of the 4 main channels have their own different, but essentially the same, version.
There is a break at 1pm for the news but this normally consists of 40 minutes of Portuguese politics and 20 minutes about football - even that is usually a video of a few players just kicking a ball around on the training pitch.
You are correct, it is the worst (unless someone else knows differently)
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/January/2017 at 08:21
You forgot the interminable Brazilian soaps and cheesy game shows!

At least I can dip into History Channel or National Geographic if desperate on a rainy day. The film channels are of course mostly in English but that costs extra. But life is too short to spend it watching TV all day and all night.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/January/2017 at 11:52
Hmmm...
Am I misunderstanding the "Brazilian" reference?
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/January/2017 at 08:54
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Hmmm...
Am I misunderstanding the "Brazilian" reference?

Dunno, but if you want watch a highly stylised daily 'drama' (telenovela) lasting an hour or more in which absolutely nothing happens apart from significant looks, watch any free to air channel on local TV. Many of these are made in Brazil, which has 200 million Portuguese speakers, a few more than the 12 million or so here, so they tend to dominate.

Albufeira Resident

Norm55 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/January/2017 at 09:35
My android tv box with film on tv on it is no longer working   when i click on uk tv app it wont load the station   is there a quick fix or better getting new one   it is 2 yrs old now if so any one you can reccomend ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic