Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Contactless payment in Taxis and buses?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contactless payment in Taxis and buses?
    Posted: 20/May/2020 at 14:51
I asked of Taxis Albufeira in the light of many businesses now almost refusing to handle nasty dirty germ ridden money.

They replied that only 2 or 3 taxis accept cards, the rest want cash.

Something to bear in mind for the future. Obviously use Uber if you can and they are available, as no cash is involved.

On the buses, the local GIRO buses around town are still free to use. However you must pay on regional EVA and Frota Azul buses. They do not accept cards except at bus station ticket offices.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2020 at 17:21
Since the start, I have paid cash for everything, everywhere and not even had raised eyebrows! ps no money in bank, its all under my mattress, hence cash!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/May/2020 at 09:15
Like you though, anyone who's ever worked in a bar knows how literally dirty money is.

I haven't actually spend any cash money at all since all this began. Almost the only place where I did was the pub and to get into the Imortal ground, both have been closed down of course.

I've read yesterday that the local bus company where I used to live in UK and where I hope to be in July now refuses cash. Good job I have a UK bank card. Other visitors, if there are ever any again, may be unable to travel.
Albufeira Resident

Lobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/May/2020 at 16:01
The only time I have used cash in the past ten weeks here was at the lavanderia, as their vending machine doesn't accept cards.

As for the Taxis: It's obvious they are too stubborn and will never learn, but then they lament that they have no more customers.
That's why it's UBER all over - even tipping can be done via card. I used to pay by card on Ubers all over Europe and Latin America, but I always gave my tip in cash, in order to get only 5*-ratings. Now I even tip via card (and luckily am still able to maintain my 4.93* rating Smile )
Dragonfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2020 at 11:08
Does any one know if you can now pay cash on an Eva bus directly to the driver or do you need to go from the bus station for a ticket, I have to go from Albufeira to falasia tomorrow. Thanks
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2020 at 08:56
I am certain I saw someone pay a bus fare in cash at the Continente stop on Sunday. The bus was at the stop for a long time. The driver scrubbed his hands before pulling away from the stop, presumably after handling that nasty dirty money.

Do check the bus times. There are only 3 a day at the moment and these 'emergency ' timetables are not posted at the stops.

I suspect taxis want cash as do most bars as they and the IRS are not on speaking terms.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic