Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Busking in Albufeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Busking in Albufeira
    Posted: 29/August/2018 at 16:05
Hello
We would like to holiday around Jan/Feb 2019 and I would like to have a few busking sessions or play in a bar/cafe and it looks like the Albufeira, Algarve might be a suitable place to do this from what I've read. Could anyone please let me know if this would be possible to do whilst we are there? thanks Sam
Sponsored Links

tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2018 at 21:35
Sam
Think if you are busking in January February you will be doing it for love.
You will not earn anything doing that. Brits are thinnish on the ground and the Poruguese will not put anything in your hat.
Most of the bars are closed so any gigs would most likely be done as a favour for the bar owner Unhappy.

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2018 at 08:57
Yep - I'll second that. Sorry Sam.
Go away Duchatalet
BuskingSam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 12:28
Thank you very much for replying. That's really good news as I do it for love and would miss playing too much not to play. I'm not so concerned about making any money, I just was mainly concerned that I would be fined for playing in the street with a small amplifier and my instruments impounded as I have heard this happens in Spain, which is why we're now looking at Portugal for a busking holiday as i think it's a bit more relaxed there. But please do let me know if I have got this wrong.
I also wondered if you happen to know of any pubs/bars/cafes in a tourist area that may be happy for me to play, perhaps for a beer ?
thanks again for your advice
Sam
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 14:16
I believe it’s as you fear. We watched the Polis insist a street entertainer in full body costume, a Minion I recall, have to remove head costume, which distressed several kids in attendance, to produce her street entertainment licence before being allowed to continue. This whole episode somewhat destroyed her ‘act’ but I reply in response to your direct fears, I think you will encounter grief from officialdom if you just truck up and start playing on the street, sorry.
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 14:29
Oh no that's a shame. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where I can obtain a license or advice me on the possibility of playing in a local bar/hotel/cafe as an alternative?
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 14:49
Sam think maybe if you roll up at the odd open bar and asked if you could do an hour a couple of beers and maybe a sandwich might come your way.
We stay in the Oura Praia area which is very popular with Brit retirees over the winter months.
So if you do a bit of the older stuff and maybe a bit of dance gear you never know.
Coyote bar has a bloke on once a week in winter who does a bit of Buddy Holly kind of stuff that the older generation can have a bit of a shuffle to....
He does really well as there is not only the Brits but Portuguese and French too who have a bit of a dance. 
Ask for George if you head over he is the gaffer.
Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 14:56
Oh fabulous, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm thinking of. I do more motown/Stevie wonder/Marvin Gaye type of music though but it's quite easy listening. I want to take my guitar etc.. and play mainly because I'll miss playing for one/two weeks and it would be exciting to play in another country
Thanks, I'll approach the bar.
Don't suppose you would know of any good accommodation in that area too?
Sam
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 15:05
Hotel wise look up CPO, Oura Praia, Natura sun.
Depends how long you are looking for if looking for 4 weeks plus you are maybe better with a private deal.
Cubsur AA peteknopp and the like are maybe better to advise in that department.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 15:11
thanks again, is that : Muthu Clube Praia da Oura?
we were looking at Grande real santa eulalia which looks close to the Coyote bar too, do you know of this one?
It's only 2 weeks that we're going away this time
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 15:31
Muthu yes same group has a few hotels and has forced prices up.
I am not sure on that Santa Eulaia loooking at pictures on google.
Santa Eualalia spa is in the area but closed last winter.there is another Santa Eulalia half a mile down the road but dont know a lot about it.
I am a relative newcomer on here but somebody will know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuskingSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/September/2018 at 15:35
ok thanks very much for all your help. it looks like either of the hotels are in a good location for bars and cafes which is a huge help :0)
can't wait to visit now!!
lizrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2018 at 11:01
Hi OUTSIDE OF ALBUFEIRA THERES A BAR CALLED O FEEDBACK AND THEY HAVE JAM SESSIONS THURSDAY AND SUNDAY AFTERNOON PLUS THE OLIVE BRANCH YOU COULD TRY THOSE TWO
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2018 at 12:09
You would need a car to get to both though.
Go away Duchatalet
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/September/2018 at 08:15
Grande Real is 15 mins walk outside the east end ... very few bars out there. In January, have a look at Quinta Pedra dos Bicos studio, which is a one-bedroom apartment and reasonably priced, close to everything .. there will be maybe 20 bars open in that area. Other areas for open air busking .. around old town tunnel or fisherman`s beach escalators.
Pyrman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic