Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 Budget IMI massive increase for some

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 16:43
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

And would you seriously expect a redundant 45 year old bank worker from Belfast to sell his house, take his kids out of school and move to Boston to pick fruit? 

Actually a redundant 45 year old bank worker from Belfast wouldn't get a job picking fruit in Boston because he doesn't speak the language.

The workforce in places like Boston, Spalding & Wisbech is totally controlled by illegal Foreign Gangmasters and they do not employ anybody that does not speak their language, whether that be Polish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Portuguese or Russian.
If you are British and you only speak English then you have absolutely no chance of getting a job on the land.

As I said earlier it's difficult for those who live abroad to actually gauge the strength of anti EU feeling in the UK and until you live in, or near, a relatively small Town that may now have upwards of 30,000 migrants living in it, then you cannot appreciate why the UK voted out.

Yes you can look at the overall figures, make general assumptions and come up with a positive argument for immigration but there is absolutely no substitute for living with the consequences of mass immigration day in & day out.

I live 20 miles from Great Yarmouth, another Town blighted by immigrants who are given free B&B in what were previously holiday guest houses.
Most of them do not work.
They are kicked out of their digs at 10am in the morning and all they ever do is hang around the Town in large groups all day long.
I can assure you that it is no longer a pleasant place to visit.

That's why over 75% of the Town's population voted for out.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Polo Marco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 17:03
According to the ONS for the period May to July 2016, the number of people of working age who were economically inactive ( not working and not seeking or available for work, and therefore not claiming benefits) was 8.83 million, and there were 1.63 million unemployed (people not in work but seeking and available to work).

Of course you can't force people who are not claiming benefits to look for work, but when official figures say unemployment is 1.6 million it's way off the mark.  Surely unemployment is unemployment, but what government is going to say the figure is around 10.5 million?
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 17:11
Because it isn't. It's 1.6 million. Houswives, Students, independently wealthy, early retirees (and probably a few dodgy gangster types too) make up the number, among other categories I have not thought of off the top of my head. You can't factor in people who are not claiming benefit and don't need to work as available to flip your burger or clean the lavs at the motorway services, Mark.
Go away Duchatalet
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 17:17
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

And would you seriously expect a redundant 45 year old bank worker from Belfast to sell his house, take his kids out of school and move to Boston to pick fruit? 

Actually a redundant 45 year old bank worker from Belfast wouldn't get a job picking fruit in Boston because he doesn't speak the language.

The workforce in places like Boston, Spalding & Wisbech is totally controlled by illegal Foreign Gangmasters and they do not employ anybody that does not speak their language, whether that be Polish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Portuguese or Russian.

As I said earlier it's difficult for those who live abroad to actually gauge the strength of anti EU feeling in the UK and until you live in, or near, a relatively small Town that may now have upwards of 30,000 migrants living in it, then you cannot appreciate why the UK voted out.

Yes you can look at the overall figures, make general assumptions and come up with a positive argument for immigration but there is absolutely no substitute for living with the consequences of mass immigration day in & day out.

I live 20 miles from Great Yarmouth, another Town blighted by immigrants who are given free B&B in what were previously holiday guest houses.
Most of them do not work.
They are kicked out of their digs at 10am in the morning and all they ever do is hang around the Town in large groups all day long.
I can assure you that it is no longer a pleasant place to visit.

That's why over 75% of the Town's population voted for out.

So you agree that it's not practical for our man from Belfast to come to Boston then, for whatever reason, that's good. Gangsters being involved is bad, for the poor exploited immigrants. Ever thought of having a word with the farmers who use that exploited labour? I am pretty sure they are not from Poland or Lithuania or Portugal, are they? Blaming immigrant workers for the situation is like blaming someone who has been mugged for being a victim. Again the UK government should be releasing the funding to give the police a chance to deal with it, that's not down to the EU.

As someone who lived in London for many, many years I lived with the consequences of immigration day in day out David. And you know what? It was fine, we mostly all muddled along together.

The speed of change in sleepy backwaters must be alarming for some, I can understand that, but they didn't give two-hoots in Yarmouth when Thatcher was destroying the coal mines, or banning the GLC, so they cannot expect everyone to sympathise with the situation there.

I can find nothing about free B n B, or any proof that "Most of them do not work".

It does smack of Schrodingers immigrant though. One minute it's bad that they are taking "our" jobs, the next they are all hanging around on the dole.

And, of course 67% of the UK population didn't vote out, so the were either not bothered, or voted in.
Go away Duchatalet
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 18:22
Totally agree with everything you say Perry.I voted to remain and would do so again.We lived for 40 yrs in Oldham in area that was 85/90% immigrant and as you experienced it was fine.We brought up 4 children who had friends of all nationalities who were welcomed into our home and we into theirs.All our kids and grandkids old enough voted to stay in Europe.I fear what is going to happen  with this government and Teresa May ,Who is Morphing into Margaret Thatcher the more I see of her.People should not believe anything she says she couldnt care less about the working class.She will destroy the NHS and Schools by Privatisation and bring back Grammar schools.We now live in the Rossendale Valley where I came from and it totally shocked me peoples attitude towards Immigrants.They are totally ignorant about them because they dont know any personally but the abuse I have heard is frightning.
caz
Polo Marco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 18:41
Only the votes that are cast actually count.

But if you want to include people who didn't vote then according to the Electoral Commission's figures then 62.5% didn't vote out and 65.3% didn't vote to remain.  Whichever way you look at it the result was to leave.  Now whether that will ever happen we shall have to wait and see.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 18:41
Sorry AA it is true, it is what people in the UK see not what they are told and it is very much relevant.
The UN reported figure of 8000 Syrian refugees which we take under EU rulings are the ones they know about not only that we pay £2.3 billion in aid also:

UK aid to Syria

The UK Government continues to commit a significant amount of international aid to assistance programmes in the regions neighbouring Syria, arguing that this is preferable to encouraging Syrian refugees to make dangerous journeys to Europe. The UK has committed over £2.3 billion to helping refugees in Syria and the region, making it the second largest bilateral donor to the Syrian refugee crisis.

Commons Briefing papers SN06805.

Regards the Calais camp if the French had there way it would be open now if it were not for the UK funding the bill for fencing to stop those housed there from trying to board vehicles on the motorway.

No papers:

Investigation false papers that allow thousands of Eastern Europeans

Euro court tells UK illegal migrants from outside the EU CANNOT be

More than ONE MILLION illegal immigrants 'may ... - Daily Express

Regarding unemployment figures in your day AA there was not over 3 million people hid away on DLA and such like...some rightly so... as there is now with bad backs depression etc...although they can still breed....These are the people who should be made to get off their a***s and work. In Boston 13% of the population were born in other EU Countries. The local unemployed should be doing these jobs not migrants who then claim benefits on top plus housing schooling and health care.

Basically any tax and NI they pay is paid with one hand and taken with the other. On that basis I find it hard to believe they generate over £2 billion to the economy when everything is taken into account.

And to think this lot are about to blackmail their way in to the EU if they can:

World News | Mon Oct 3, 2016 | 5:03am EDT

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan criticized the European Union on Monday, saying the bloc had failed to fulfill its pledge to provide 3 billion euros of aid for migrants as part of a landmark deal to stem refugee flows to Europe.

In other words let us get our hands on the readies or the s**t hits the fan.

Voted out and as it stands happy I did so.

Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 19:03

The figure for Syrian refugees is correct. If there are others, they are illegal immigrants, not refugees.

Aid is another matter altogether, I don't recall even mentioning it, why do you bring it up? But again, as you quote, it's a decision by the British government, not the EU. Why do people insist on going off on tangents about non-EU nationals and UK government decisions when discussing the EU? It is odd.

The French police the camp, the two countries work together. As previously stated, there is no reason to believe this will continue after Brexit.

I did make a point of saying credible evidence Paul, the rantings of the Sun and Express certainly come nowhere near that, ever.

I hope that none of your loved ones ever have the misfortune to be incapacitated. I'll leave that there.

The 2 billion is a net gain, I can't help what you choose to believe, I just give you the facts. Others can judge your reasons for that.

The bit about the Turkish president is again rather bizarre and the conclusion you draw from it totally off the scale.
Go away Duchatalet
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 19:07
Originally posted by Polo Marco Polo Marco wrote:

Only the votes that are cast actually count.

But if you want to include people who didn't vote then according to the Electoral Commission's figures then 62.5% didn't vote out and 65.3% didn't vote to remain.  Whichever way you look at it the result was to leave.  Now whether that will ever happen we shall have to wait and see.

Of course you are right, Mark I wrote that in response to this sentence:

"Generally speaking the majority of people in the UK who I speak to couldn't care less about the negatives of leaving, least of all the exchange rate, as they would rather be free of further EU intervention in our way of life."

David's friends are not representative of the majority of British people.

Go away Duchatalet
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 20:23

The figure for Syrian refugees is correct. If there are others, they are illegal immigrants, not refugees.

Aid is another matter altogether, I don't recall even mentioning it, why do you bring it up? But again, as you quote, it's a decision by the British government, not the EU. Why do people insist on going off on tangents about non-EU nationals and UK government decisions when discussing the EU? It is odd.

The French police the camp, the two countries work together. As previously stated, there is no reason to believe this will continue after Brexit.

I did make a point of saying credible evidence Paul, the rantings of the Sun and Express certainly come nowhere near that, ever.

I hope that none of your loved ones ever have the misfortune to be incapacitated. I'll leave that there.

The 2 billion is a net gain, I can't help what you choose to believe, I just give you the facts. Others can judge your reasons for that.

The bit about the Turkish president is again rather bizarre and the conclusion you draw from it totally off the scale.

Perry nobody is saying there are not people on DLA etc who have the right to be...just there is a lot who should not be.....without the younger generation who my point was aimed at look at all the British blue badges in cars over here this time of year. Are they all unable to walk 50 metres or whatever it is to qualify? I don`t think so.
Regards Turkey they are using the pressure of taking control of their borders as a bargaining/blackmail tool to gain EU entry...hence already shouting for 3 billion.
What will they shout for if they do get EU entry they will want billions every month.
Oh and another 75 million free to roam Europe at their will and no doubt our cost if we had chosen to remain.
I`ve said my bit I`m off for a drink with my foreign mates up the road Big smile.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 20:30
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

Totally agree with everything you say Perry.I voted to remain and would do so again.We lived for 40 yrs in Oldham in area that was 85/90% immigrant and as you experienced it was fine.We brought up 4 children who had friends of all nationalities who were welcomed into our home and we into theirs.All our kids and grandkids old enough voted to stay in Europe.I fear what is going to happen  with this government and Teresa May ,Who is Morphing into Margaret Thatcher the more I see of her.People should not believe anything she says she couldnt care less about the working class.She will destroy the NHS and Schools by Privatisation and bring back Grammar schools.We now live in the Rossendale Valley where I came from and it totally shocked me peoples attitude towards Immigrants.They are totally ignorant about them because they dont know any personally but the abuse I have heard is frightning.

There is one thing for certain she will be better being like Maggie than being like Tony Blair and his money grabbing bleed the Country wife.
And what`s wrong with Grammar Schools? I passed the 11+ and it never cost my parents more to send me there than it would have the Secondary School.
Grammar Schools give the working class a chance of a better education.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 21:51

"Generally speaking the majority of people in the UK who I speak to couldn't care less about the negatives of leaving, least of all the exchange rate, as they would rather be free of further EU intervention in our way of life."

But they are representative of the majority of British people who bothered to vote and that's the only thing that counts in a referendum.
I don't understand why people are having such difficulty in grasping this simple fact.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 22:37
Tonisdad
            Are you real . I think she is more evil than Margaret Thatcher ever was and she was evil.Couldnt stand Tony Blair and his New Labour but his government  did some good  it was the Iraq War that did it for me.Went on the March and tore my Labour Party card up.,only to rejoin after a few years.As regards Grammar schools I also passed the 11plus and being only 11 at the time it wasnt my choice to go but my parents.Grammar schools are divisive telling children who pass you are clever and the rest failures.Its a nonsense. 

caz
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2016 at 10:43
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

Tonisdad
            Are you real . I think she is more evil than Margaret Thatcher ever was and she was evil.Couldnt stand Tony Blair and his New Labour but his government  did some good  it was the Iraq War that did it for me.Went on the March and tore my Labour Party card up.,only to rejoin after a few years.As regards Grammar schools I also passed the 11plus and being only 11 at the time it wasnt my choice to go but my parents.Grammar schools are divisive telling children who pass you are clever and the rest failures.Its a nonsense. 

Am I real LOL at that one. So you don`t believe little Johnny & Jenny Snottynose from 1 Dead End Street who are bright should not have a better education because a few of their less bright mates might feel undervalued...I think that`s the word the do gooder brigade use.
Then people moan that the working class do not have a chance at the big jobs because of lack of education
Oh no we will tell all the kids they are all as bright as each other, we won`t have an egg and spoon race somebody will come last.
That is why most GCSE`s are not worth the paper they are written on they are harder to fail than pass.
Example Daughter fractured 3 vertebrae in her back at 12 years old coupled with the fact she is a lazy so and so and did not do PE for four years. Guess what she got a C pass in the subject.
Didn`t want her to feel she was not as clever as the rest.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2016 at 10:50
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

But they are representative of the majority of British people who bothered to vote and that's the only thing that counts in a referendum.
I don't understand why people are having such difficulty in grasping this simple fact.

And they are not representative of the majority of British people - a third don't care. It's not rocket science David...
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic