Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EDP bills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EDP bills
    Posted: 07/February/2018 at 14:32
Hi Looking for advice. My EDP bills are up and down like a yo-yo. I have a 2 bed apartment. This year no-one has been in it since the end of October and the electricity is turned off at the main switch when vacant. The last four months bills for an empty apartment have amounted to 144.42euro. Is this normal/average? How is the standing charge worked out? I pay by direct debit. The bills generally vary between 20euro and 50euro with no particular pattern. I can't work it out.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2018 at 16:28
Your bills are being estimated. Somewhere on the bill you will see readings and est or act - or similar meaning estimated or actual. You can phone in your reading or sign up online or in an app - or go to EDP shop with reading then they'll either refund, make you in credit or charge you more depending on result,
Bisto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/February/2018 at 16:59
Thanks for your reply
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2018 at 13:30
I had a big problem with fluctuating EDP bills last year. Culminating with being cut off when an unexpected €300+ bill cleared my Portuguese Bank Account, the apartment was empty from Oct to March but they had estimated the bills then taken it all in a big chunk!! With advice from this forum I went to the EDP and sorted a budget plan of sorts where I pay €50.00 per month with an annual adjustment made in April. Takes the uncertainty away when trying to manage finances from a distance.
Captain Spalding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Spalding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2018 at 14:19
I’ve just had the latest eye watering electricity bill in from EDP....
In summary it’s useage plus standing charges plus 35% taxes and other charges.
Standing charge at 38 cents a day !
The supply companies in the UK are a cartel of bandits and even they don’t have the brass neck to charge like this and UK 6% vat charge on energy bills looks generous compared to 23% here.
Got to wonder how the Portuguese people and resident ex pats manage around this....was it always thus ?
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2018 at 16:31
Report in the Portugal News the other week stating that energy costs are the highest in Europe here.  
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2018 at 16:59
We've just spent 6 weeks in our apartment. We keep a check on what electricity we use and as I know the charges I can work out the cost of what we've used.
I used 323 units which will have cost approx 35 Euro. So that's less than a Euro a day.
We use the oven a lot as we do all our own cooking. Then there's the washing machine, tumble dryer, AC, fridge, chest freezer, TV, PC, hoovering, kettle, toaster and lighting.
I pay a direct debit of 52 Euro a month.
Expensive perhaps but there's little or no competition in Portugal.

Unless it's changed we only pay 0.3063 daily charge and 23% IVA
Plus of course the bill includes a payment for Portuguese TV, whether you have it or not - Contribuição Audiovisual
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic