Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK TV SATELLITE ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2015 at 06:03
A MEO box is what you have if you take the TV option from MEO
It's the same as a Sky Box except that it's works from your phone line instead of a satellite dish.
In fact it's exactly the same as a BT TV box.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2015 at 09:51
I have 12mb interner via MEO ADSL and there is sometimes a bit of buffering when watching UK channels. Don't forget that FilmOn is a rebroadcaster and if their servers are busy it will affect picture quality.

I can usually get BBC and ITV main channels via a proxy and they sometimes buffer as well.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2015 at 12:02
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2015 at 11:33
But not for a couple of years yet! And the word is that BBC will ask for a TV licence number etc to be input for short term holiday access from a non UK location.

Also of relevance is a plan to end mobile roaming charges within the EU by the end of 2017. Hard luck if you are Swiss, or if the UK votes to leave the EU.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/March/2016 at 15:43

BBC iPlayer 'loophole' to be closed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35708623

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2016 at 14:12
Heads up.
Further to my post above, the changes took place on 1st September.
There are reports around that iPlayer no longer works with a VPN when you're abroad.
I use Media Hint when in Portugal but I can't test that until we arrive on the 12th.
Meanwhile, here in the UK, we've lost iPlayer via our Humax Freesat Box but there are reports that the BBC are working to fix this issue.
Will wait & see.
Only BBC iPlayer is affected - ITV, 4OD etc all still working fine.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2016 at 14:49
iplayer still works with vpn on a sky box. I have a smart tv that does not like my vpn for iplayer when said vpn is created in the router - however if i set the vpn thru my mac the tv is ok.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2016 at 08:35
I have been unable to BBC iPlayer when in Portugal even via a VPN since early July. Things may vary for individual situations, but the IP addresses used by VPN services are not difficult to determine and thus block. 
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2016 at 10:04
Our iPlayer returned last month (via private VPN on lap-top), and touch wood is working okay.
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2016 at 10:14
Was still working via Media Hint when we left on July 19th.
Still a cheap option at $3.95 a month payable monthly via PayPal - no long term contract.
I only pay for it when were over.

Their website currently shows BBC iPlayer as being available - will find out in 10 days time

https://mediahint.com/

Our UK Freesat issue has been fixed.
samwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2016 at 14:32
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Was still working via Media Hint when we left on July 19th.
Still a cheap option at $3.95 a month payable monthly via PayPal - no long term contract.
I only pay for it when were over.

Their website currently shows BBC iPlayer as being available - will find out in 10 days time

https://mediahint.com/

Our UK Freesat issue has been fixed.

hi diceyuk ,how have you gone on with your VPN and the bbc iplayer ?
i am over there in a couple of weeks and use a vpn on my laptop for
iplayer and skysports
                           have you any sucess with it ?
                             thanks
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2016 at 14:56
Sorry, forgot to give an update.
Yes everything is fine via Media Hint - no problems at all
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2016 at 05:30
More hoops to jump through to watch BBC iPlayer next year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37477229
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2016 at 07:58
An update - my apple tv which i use for bbc live said i was outside uk despite using a router with vpn settings - i then connected this router to an apple time capsule (which is a hard drive back up and a router) and this has confused the iplayer which I can now watch!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2016 at 09:26
Many ways and means will no doubt be found over the course of time and many means will be founds to block them. Keep the ideas coming.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142>
  Share Topic