Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 83>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 12:16
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

Thanks all for your opinions. We’ve just booked flights Feb to March next year with EasyJet from Manchester £112.00 return including seats (didn’t want to take the risk of being seated apart). The only thing I don’t like, is that if you try to add hold luggage (which we do on occasions), you have to pay for both outward and inward journeys when booking online. With Ryanair, you can bring luggage one way, and I think with Jet2 it’s the same.
Do any of you long stay travellers use the mobile boarding pass for EasyJet? I have to admit to being a bit of a dinosaur, and like to present the paper version at the airport, however as our stay exceeds 30 days, we’ll either have to buy our own printer, find somewhere that prints them, or rely on the app being reliable.

Book flights as two separate journeys to avoid luggage problems.
I too like to feel my ticket in my hand too much can go wrong using mobile.
There is an Indian computer/phone shop near the clay oven Indian restaurant....I am talking Albufeira not Delhi.... that prints a couple of tickets for 1 euro or 1.50 depending on their mood. Just take your device or memory stick
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 12:22

Thanks all for your opinions. We’ve just booked flights Feb to March next year with EasyJet from Manchester £112.00 return including seats (didn’t want to take the risk of being seated apart). The only thing I don’t like, is that if you try to add hold luggage (which we do on occasions), you have to pay for both outward and inward journeys when booking online. With Ryanair, you can bring luggage one way, and I think with Jet2 it’s the same.
Do any of you long stay travellers use the mobile boarding pass for EasyJet? I have to admit to being a bit of a dinosaur, and like to present the paper version at the airport, however as our stay exceeds 30 days, we’ll either have to buy our own printer, find somewhere that prints them, or rely on the app being reliable.

Mind having said that what are you going to do with the suitcase you bring out, is it holdall type.
Last journey we took home we booked hold luggage to take home an extra large suitcase with a normal suitcase inside that with a hand luggage size inside that. We then packed a few things around them.
We just seem to amass suitcases because we need to bring things to Albuferia that will not go in hand luggage but do not need to take anything the other way.
 On the look out for one of them rigid suitcases that fold down.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 13:18
Tonisdad,
We had that issue and solved it by using Direct Transport. Basically anything we want out there but can’t carry cabin luggage, we pack a box here until it’s full. When we’re out there we keep a list of things to send out on our next “shipment” as we call them. When the box is full we send it Hermes or whoever the search engine says is cheapest to Direct Transport UK warehouse. That’s normall five to six squids. Get it to them by Thursday and it’s ready to collect from Porches from the following Tuesday and that’s usually €20, so all up not much difference in cost to paying for hold suitcase but two advantages. 1 you’re not building a collection of suitcases in Albufeira and 2 you’re not waiting at the carousel for your case, straight out of the airport, first in the hire car queue or straight away if you’re being collected.
Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 13:59
Easyjet now do a thing called Hands Free.
You can put a cabin size bag in the hold for £5 and as such this can contain liquids (e.g. sauces etc) and other stuff you can't take in the cabin.
It's not bookable online - you have to pay for it at the bag drop in the airport so you only pay one way at a time. We take one going out but not coming back.
If you take one hard trolley case and put that in Hands Free plus one soft holdall case in the cabin you can bring that back folded up in the hard case.
In our experience, even though our soft holdall is the same size as a hard trolley case, they never get taken off us if they are looking to restrict the number of cabin bags.
In fact we've never once had to put ours into that bag size tester thingy.

The other thing to do is always keep a couple of empty Duty Free carrier bags spare.
These are allowed on board in addition to your cabin bag.
You can put anything you like in these because they never check that they actually contain stuff bought in Duty Free.
We rarely buy Duty Free (only to get a new bag now again and then it's a bar of chocolate or something cheap) but have used this loophole on every flight for several years.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 14:04
We have two suitcases over here already, but last year bought a large hold-all for £25.00. We’ve brought it over three times now, and it will do us a few more trips, so not bad value. When we return home, it fits folded in one of our empty cabin bags. Didn’t think of booking separate outward and inward flights, thanks. Bit of a faff though for what you think would be offered in one booking thus guaranteeing that the airline will get your business on the return trip as well.
I’ll keep the shop near the Clay Oven in mind as we do go over there now and again. We’re over in Roja Pe, and I dare say that there will be somewhere around here offering to print boarding cards. We’ve used the Ryanair app in the past, but I do prefer a paper pass ‘just in case’.
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 16:16
Dicey,
Been looking at the baggage policy in detail as your post baffled me. It seems that even with a pre booked seat (unless you purchase one of the premium ones,) you are only allowed to take one item of cabin baggage on board. With Ryanair, it used to be two, but now unless you have priority boarding, your larger cabin bag is put into the hold for free, and you are still able to take your handbag or laptop bag on board. On looking at the EasyJet site, it appears that your handbag/laptop bag has to go into your cabin bag as you are only allowed one piece. What then if the number of cabin bags on board exceeds the limit of seventy, and your case is destined for the hold, are you then allowed to take out your handbag which is where all your valuables (passports, wallets and purses, money and other items will be)? This also scuppers our current practice of bringing our large hold-all back in one of the empty cabin bags and so we’ll need to rethink how we pack if we are to book any further flights with EasyJet. I’m presuming that this is why you bring the duty free bags of board.
Anyway, Feb holiday has now been booked so nothing we can do, but at least thanks to your responses on here we are forewarned. I must admit we should have read all the rules and regulations first and not just assumed that all the low cost airlines operated in a similar way. Might be back to the delights of that Ryanair flight and the long walk up and down stairs and across the full length of Faro airport sooner than we thought 🤔
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 16:53
The last two Ryanair into Faro we did parked right out side the glass entrance door, for passengers from airside, it couldn’t get any closer, down the steps, cross the road we were into passport hall, honestly, you could not get a foot closer, brilliant.
Andrew
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 16:58
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Tonisdad,
We had that issue and solved it by using Direct Transport. Basically anything we want out there but can’t carry cabin luggage, we pack a box here until it’s full. When we’re out there we keep a list of things to send out on our next “shipment” as we call them. When the box is full we send it Hermes or whoever the search engine says is cheapest to Direct Transport UK warehouse. That’s normall five to six squids. Get it to them by Thursday and it’s ready to collect from Porches from the following Tuesday and that’s usually €20, so all up not much difference in cost to paying for hold suitcase but two advantages. 1 you’re not building a collection of suitcases in Albufeira and 2 you’re not waiting at the carousel for your case, straight out of the airport, first in the hire car queue or straight away if you’re being collected.

Like the sound of that Andrew!
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2018 at 17:05
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Easyjet now do a thing called Hands Free.
You can put a cabin size bag in the hold for £5 and as such this can contain liquids (e.g. sauces etc) and other stuff you can't take in the cabin.

The other thing to do is always keep a couple of empty Duty Free carrier bags spare. 

Dicey I thought when Ryanair said you had to pay to take hand luggage on board I was under the impression oh great will put liquids etc in the bag and it will go underneath.
Of course greedy Oleary gets around that by making you take your hand luggage through security.

We too keep the duty free bags and a couple of WH Smiths that you get at UK airport for coming from home. Always handy in case ofoverload.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2018 at 18:30

Dicey,
Been looking at the baggage policy in detail as your post baffled me. It seems that even with a pre booked seat (unless you purchase one of the premium ones,) you are only allowed to take one item of cabin baggage on board.

Yes that is correct but I pay the £5 Hands Free charge and put my normal cabin trolley case in the hold so that we can tale liquids etc. If you do that they give you a receipt and that allows you to take another small bag into the cabin.
I could easily fly without any hand baggage at all as I normally sleep for most of the flight and I can easily manage without what some people would class as life's necessities (pc, tablet, mobile etc) for a couple of hours (or even longer).
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2018 at 14:30
OK forumies, the next TWO batches of Easyjet flights are being released next month.

On Thursday 20th September, flights (& holidays) will be available until 23rd June 2019.

And, on Thursday 27th September, you'll also be able to book flights (& holidays) until 1st September 2019.

Fill your boots!
Colin
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2018 at 15:09
Thanks. It will be interesting to see what the prices are like as we will still not know the full details regarding Brexit. They might be much the same as before but with some sort of supplement condidtion.
cameroncleggout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncleggout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2018 at 17:13
We paid just over £650 for two return Manchester - Faro flights end Aug - Early Sept 2019. Paid for decent time morning flight, seats and breakfast. 

Used to be able to book similar just 3-4 years ago for around half this price. I know there are some cheaper flights available, but Times, Seats, etc are important to us 
cameronout
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2018 at 17:20
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Thanks. It will be interesting to see what the prices are like as we will still not know the full details regarding Brexit. They might be much the same as before but with some sort of supplement condidtion.

Yes, that's my line of thinking too. Not really the airlines fault on this occasion.
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2018 at 19:25
This has been obvious for some time;

Airlines ‘FIDDLE FIGURES’ to give impression flights on time and reduce delay payouts

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1008920/flight-times-average-flight-delay-compensation-British-Airways-Ryanair-Easyjet-Gatwick
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 83>
  Share Topic