Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Beaches / As Praias
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albufeira's beaches today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 115>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2020 at 10:54
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

Nice work ..  Doing a lot of searching for webcams etc right now ... and found this fabulous 
site from wikipedia ... much better than google ..

Also has errors and omissions. I would love to see anyone try to take the Passeo Marginal west of the Praia do Peneco. Most of fell into the sea years ago.

And the Ali Super(market) near me was closed down around 5 years ago.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2020 at 12:42
No need to close the beaches today! Grey and windy, rain in the air.

Albufeira Resident

malagabob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malagabob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2020 at 10:16
Thanks Tom.  One of  our first ports of call would have been the terrace at Inatel pictured “IF“ we had been coming. 
Never put off something that you could do today
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2020 at 13:41
Was there not a vague plan some years ago to reinstate the Passeo Marginal connecting Peneco Beach to the harbour?  Clearly nothing has come of it.  The cliffs are so friable it probably wouldn't be practical.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2020 at 15:28
Yes there was such a plan but it has been put aside. The powers that be realised that it would be very difficult to build along those crumbly cliffs, then would be at the mercy of winter storms and probably wouldn't last. The ramp structure behind the fishing harbour would have been the start of it.

I can remember being able to walk quite a bit further from the town end than can be done now, but the path collapsed. Picutures from the 1930's even show a little cove type beach, long gone.

While I am here, on the subject of beaches, I am in an apartment high above town (not mine) and can see the Inatel end of the beach. There were a few drops of rain a little while ago, it is cloudy and quite windy, but I can see a few people taking their designated exercise.
Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/April/2020 at 15:54
That cove Tom, I’m sure I’ve put pics of it up on here but I understood it got lost to the marina entrance works?
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2020 at 08:25
I think you are right there. It was the Praia da Baleeira. I loaned my photo albums to a friend and they are now of course inaccessible for a while.

Only a very small part remains, within the fishermen's area.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2020 at 11:44
The cove beach had the same name as the promontory above marina ... one of the functioning properties in front of the deserted Crown Plaza is called `Baleeira Sol`...

Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2020 at 08:28
Yes, that's the one. Some was lost to erosion and as Andrew says most of the rest went when the entrance to the marina was blasted through the cliff.
Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 12:37
Found this one, I have others from the other side and actually down there. I’ll have a dig.

Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 12:43
Similar pic, but colour.

Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 17:59
Town beach around 12noon today. A few people were taking the air, it was a nice sunny morning. Some beach equipment is rather optimistically out there!

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 18:36
Thanks Andrew. Tomorrow, I will see if I can get a 'now' picture to compare.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2020 at 13:48
Then and now, best I can do for the moment. I took mine from the Largo do Rossio viewpoint, which is suspect is very close to where the older picture was taken. Some trees were slightly in the way. I have circled a rock formation which is unchanged.

Click to see it in a larger size.

Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2020 at 19:38
Good effort Tom, cheers.
I’ll dig some pics from the other side tomorrow and get those posted.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 115>
  Share Topic