Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/September/2020 at 20:07
I think you are correct about the photo with the truck as the steps behind the truck and rocks look like the steps and wall that lead up to the Casa del Mar restaurant. but I could be wrong.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2020 at 09:03
That's exactly what I thought. A pity the picture isn't at a slightly wider angle.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2020 at 10:11
Not exactly aeons ago, these were taken by me in September 2006. The area is almost unrecognisable from what it is now. The fishermen still used the beach then.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2020 at 09:49
Best I have been able to do so far with this one. Modern building has blocked every angle from where the original was probably taken.  I had to climb up Rua das Palinhas, above the square, to even see the church. The tall building to the right of the church tower is where the Vila Recife hotel now stands. Just about the only other one that is recognisable is the small building just left of centre, 'below' the church. I will try to have another go at this one with my better camera. Click the picture to see it full size.

Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2020 at 12:04
Well done Cubsur.  As well as the angle I suppose the camera lense focal distance will be a consideration too. Thanks for doing these.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2020 at 09:13
Yes focal distances, picture frame sizes etc are often a problem. I plan to go further up the hill this afternoon to try to get a better rendition. But obviously the original was taken from a place lower down than is now possible.
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2020 at 11:11
I agree about the building below Left of Church, and it has now gained an extra floor. The tall building to the right of church is now the reception of the Hotel Recife. 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2020 at 18:22
Tried but no luck. There is just too much in the way. Make the best of these as you will.I took a couple of others while I was up there.

Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2020 at 08:59
I think the only way you would get close to the original is with the use of a drone.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2020 at 12:34
I guess so. I know someone who has one but there are probably 100 laws that would be broken if using one above town. There will be others to investigate I am sure.
Albufeira Resident

bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2020 at 22:16
Enjoying seeing these pics. Lovely to see the 'then and now's, thanks Cubsur.
In the Church pic, there is a domed roof building to the left of the front of the church. Is this building in both pics?
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2020 at 08:33
Yes, the domed building is just visible in both pictures. It is dome of the former São Sebastião church, which is now an art museum.
Albufeira Resident

Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2020 at 09:29
Good attempt nonetheless.   Thumbs Up
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2020 at 20:28
Ah yes, we would have passed by many times on our way from Pateo, when we stayed up there, down to old town. Hadn't seen it from that angle before
Thank you for keeping us updated until we can visit again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/March/2021 at 17:20
Sent by Bob D and one of Paulo Norberto's postcards. Seems to show a bar or terrace on the steps down to the beach by where the lift now stands. Unsure of the date at this time.  Neither of us remembers such a place. Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic