Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Nightlife / Vida Nocturna
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Harry's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2020 at 15:21
The wall at the back has been  bricked up so, a better view of the new extension not  now possible. What about the new frontage though?

By the way, people were working at Vertigo next door, cleaning equipment and furniture.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2020 at 16:16
Not a fan of the new frontage at all.... at least they are progressing well, no doubts it will be packed out with punters in a few months 🍺
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2020 at 17:08
Originally posted by A9NDY A9NDY wrote:

Not a fan of the new frontage at all.... at least they are progressing well, no doubts it will be packed out with punters in a few months 🍺

Nor me, I don’t think the Portakabin type toilet in the middle of the terrace is very becoming! LOLLOLLOL
Andrew
A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2020 at 19:01
Lol 👍
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2020 at 21:36
 Re Sir Harrys (Harry Warner)Can anyone remember the local Algarve  English newspapers (online)  ie Portugal News, Algarve Resident etc   having an archive section where you could search old news. I remember reading about Harry Warner & his wife coming to Albufeira in the  1960's or thereabouts  to open a bar and would love to read it all over again but sadly now can't find anything appertaining to it. Only thing I found was about  when he died, https://www.portugalresident.com/harry-warner/ 

Edit: I seem to recall also from reading  news, that  many years ago he had something to do with The Ancora Bar on The strip as well  when it first opened. I could be dreaming though.

Does anyone know the history of Harry Warner and his wife?
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2020 at 01:12
Harry died 17th january 2010 at the age of 88 , he opened the bar in 1963 with his wife esme they were married 60+ years ..... harry did a lot of charity work for the area and was well respected
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/April/2020 at 08:23
If you get a copy of Jenny Grainers book “Falais Portuguese or are you English?”, first edition, the picture on the cover of several people, including Jenny, also includes Harry. They are having a coffee on the pavement outside Bailotte. That is very early 60’s if not before.
My copy is in Portugal so I can’t at the mo, post you a pic or check the date.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2020 at 09:01
New work is screened off but peeked through the windows on Sunday.

Albufeira Resident

bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2020 at 18:49
Inside looks exactly the same as before. Outside work being done first I presume. 
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/May/2020 at 09:38
Obviously they are in no rush. No-one working as it was Sunday, but there was a stack of cement bags along with other stuff at the front. Maybe I will sneak out into town later in the week to see what's going on.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2020 at 16:20
Beg to report that Sir Harry's is now open.
Albufeira Resident

BinB4you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BinB4you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2021 at 14:13
Hi, May no longer be of interest but am retuning in June after many years. Used to sit and chat while Harry or one of the boys set up in the morning. His unique marketing information board always pulled people in for news updates.
Always found him to be a nice guy that would help anyone. Be interesting to see the changes 🤔
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/May/2021 at 17:33
It's still closed, waiting for the tourists to come.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic