Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Restaurants & Portuguese Cuisine / Restaurantes & a Comida
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Il Brigante Restaurant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Il Brigante Restaurant
    Posted: 30/March/2018 at 09:02
Members may be interested in the response I got to a Trip Advisor review I put up of this restaurant which I entitled "Garlic bread rolls are not bruschetta".

Here's my review:

...Il Brigante loses a "star" for this error/misinformation? Not the only place that claims something else to be bruschetta - Urban Pizza served me pitta bread as bruschetta a couple of years back. Please just tell the truth on your menu, not much to ask is it? It was tasty though, I'll give 'em that sunshine...

Pizzas and pastas were good, but a bit overpriced for what is ultimately a back street restaurant, albeit a nicely presented and clean one. Though a small black mark as the hand towels in the gents were not replaced all the time we were there - but there was plenty of loo roll to use instead, in fairness.

It was busy and lively, and the table staff were absolutely first class - Maria in particular kept us amused with friendly banter and few gags. And Maro the "tout" went out of his way to see that we were looked after.

House wine reasonably priced and palatable.

If you are used to UK restaurant prices, then you would probably be quite satisfied.

Here's the owners response, four weeks later, translated from Italian by Google:

His review is at the limit of the ridiculous. So just because I'm not in the main square should I lower prices according to you? Quality of raw materials, service, card of selected Italian wines should be cheap and do not mean anything? Since you are so expert you never wondered why in the square you eat sitting in huge restaurants for only 5 euros ... I would play it on the quality of food and the paucity of service if I wanted to bet ... more wants me to come to teach what is a bruschetta? You who put ketchup and mayonnaise on pizza do you want to teach an Italian what is a bruschetta? But please....

Seven other people will attest that the bread served was ordinary Portuguese bread rolls spread with garlic butter. So he calls me a liar, ignores the positive points I make, clearly has not taken two minutes to recce my profile and find out I am not a tourist and finishes it off making a vaguely racist comment about the British (I certainly did NOT put ketchup or mayo on me pizza LOL).

I may not return... Wink      

Go away Duchatalet
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2018 at 12:00
Entertaining response.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2018 at 12:35
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Entertaining response.

Indeed... LOL
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2018 at 14:04
Would hate to think what his reaction would be to a bad review.
But I suppose typical Italian, all yap yap yap and waving arms while completely failing to see the point being made
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2018 at 18:28
As I was one of ‘the seven’, I can confirm how accurate Algarveaddicks comments are.

GARLIC BREAD.....it’s the future.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/March/2018 at 19:50
I've always highly rated said restaurant, never had a bad meal and the staff have always been spot on . I'd go here for a pizza/pasta rather than urban pizza tbf
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/March/2018 at 12:27
Originally posted by A9NDY A9NDY wrote:

I've always highly rated said restaurant, never had a bad meal and the staff have always been spot on . I'd go here for a pizza/pasta rather than urban pizza tbf

As I hoped I had expressed in my review Andy - I thought I praised the staff very highly, and I even commented on how I liked the "offending" garlic bread, mentioned that the pizza and pasta were good and that the wine was reasonable and priced okay. As Dicey alluded to, it was not really a bad review at all.  

Until this ill judged, racist rant I too would have gone here before Urban. However, as the (superior to both) Picatti di Gola is only three minutes away, and I don't wish to give my cash to someone with such a lowly opinion of my countrymen, I shall never set foot in the place again...          

Go away Duchatalet
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2018 at 10:06
As a Scot I feel offended by the restaurateur's comment. What about brown sauce? Scottish haute cuisine requires Brown Sauce on everything, including puddings.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/April/2018 at 10:46
Good point, well expressed Derek... Smile
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic