Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Queue at Faro Airport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2019 at 16:39
That will upset UK government no end, not making sure people aren't triple checked before getting on a plane and heading towards their green and pleasant land.

But you have all dutifully filled in your API data when checking in so I guess they know you are coming.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2019 at 17:47
Tom, did you not see the recent tv program where 8 ordinary people smuggled 8 dummy asylum seekers into the UK, via 8 different means, without a hitch?!  Triple check my butt!
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/November/2019 at 21:42
One thing that puzzles me. There is no passport check by Border Force leaving the UK, only on entry. Why the check leaving Portugal? In other respects we seem to be paranoid about checks.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Windmill Hill Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windmill Hill Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 08:05
Thanks Claire that makes sense. I wondered how they would have got from security to the main hall without going down through the (new) passport control and duty free!!

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 08:29
"Why the check leaving Portugal?"

The data is probably transmitted to UK Border Force so they know who's coming and can be waiting for you at the other end. Seems a bit of overkill since airlines are required to send API to officialdom.

Possibly also a way to determine if anyone's overstayed their welcome. A bit strange also, since anyone driving to and from Portugal, or travelling by train or coach,  is not subject to the same checks. Evil do-ers obviously travel only by air.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 12:50
You should have seen the evil doers on my flight last week. A high proportion were, like me, over 70, some well over. You couldn't hear for the clacking of dentures. Many were getting special assistance I presume as they remained in their seat as we disembarked. And a constant queue for the toilets. Ah, the pleasures of old age.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 19:49
Mmmm...
It could also fall into the category of bureaucracy, seems a bit of that in Portugal, keeps a few jobsworths in employment and the unemployment figures down. Of course it’s none essential, hence sometimes there’s no one there, but when they do turn up, they can draw a wage.
Am I being cynical? Dunno where that’s come from! LOL!
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2019 at 10:36
UK will also need a large number of new low paid workers once the blue channel at the airports is gone.
Albufeira Resident

bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2019 at 13:08
What Jock stated is still the same. 

Family members left this morning and told me they had to go through duty free first. 

Passport Control is after duty free where you go to the gates. 
we're not brazil we're norn iron
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2019 at 14:26
Thanks Bob.  I was beginning to doubt my memory.  I wonder why and how they change the layout as they clearly do.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2020 at 08:46
Now that we have left the EU, how are things going through Faro airport either on arrival or departure? Any changes of note?
Colin
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2020 at 08:58
No - not yet. End of the year we will see, Col. 
Go away Duchatalet
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2020 at 10:10
Just as busy as normal ... six flights arrived between 0845 and 9.30 today ... two British, two German, one Dutch, one Canadian (hope you had a wee sleep) ..  check here
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2020 at 09:33
Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

Now that we have left the EU, how are things going through Faro airport either on arrival or departure? Any changes of note?

Departure for UK bound travellers is already set up for the special pre flight identity checks needed to enter the country. Likewise waiting to show passports on arrival, which those coming from Schengen countries do not.

The only likely change at either end is if customs import limits and inspections are re-introduced. Those of a certain age will remember when you could only take back 200 fags and the red and green channels. Nothing to declare, sir?
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2020 at 10:45
I suppose that means goods into UK can be duty free but on a much reduced limit.  The bottle and cigarette shops will feel the draft.  'erindoors will not be pleased.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic