Print Page | Close Window

TUK TUKS

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
Forum Description: Bus, Trains, Taxis, Transfer, Driving, ...
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10101
Printed Date: 28/March/2024 at 16:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TUK TUKS
Posted By: cubsur
Subject: TUK TUKS
Date Posted: 14/June/2018 at 09:07
Apart from being noisy smelly nuisances, they now seem to operating like taxis. Whether it's legal or not, twice yesterday I saw tourists flag down a passing vehicle and jump in.

A rather expensive travel option for visitors, but an option nevertheless.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Replies:
Posted By: ClaireKildare
Date Posted: 14/June/2018 at 09:40
They are accidents waiting to happen, weaving in through traffic, flying over bumpy roads. They terrify me.

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 14/June/2018 at 10:56
Originally posted by ClaireKildare ClaireKildare wrote:

They are accidents waiting to happen, weaving in through traffic, flying over bumpy roads. They terrify me.
I agree. I will never be in one of these contraptions.

-------------
Ally

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 14/June/2018 at 19:56
I thought they were going to make them electric only? They are a nuisance outside our complex screwing the hearse off them to get up the hill and honking their horns at anything that shows legs.
I thought the news was they were going to be electric only? I too thought they were only supposed to be for pleasure tours not taxi`s. It`s a wonder the taxi drivers aren`t up in arms.

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 15/June/2018 at 08:27
Got stuck behind one the other day with six burley rugby players squeezed in. It could barely go above 15kph on the flat, on a hill it was about 5kph. Bloomin' menace...  

Yours

Angry of Albufeira… 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 15/June/2018 at 13:22
They're almost constantly backwards and forwards up to the Falesia Hotel.
Presumably they're just criusing for punters as they go up empty drive past the hotel doors and come out again empty. Don't think I've ever seen one drop off or collect anyone.
And at more than double the taxi fare to Albufeira, I'm not surprised.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 16/June/2018 at 16:21
I wouldn't go in one of them if they offered me it for free. To me they are unsafe and should any  other vehicle impact  on them you wouldn't stand a chance. They should be banned.
I noticed a few weeks ago  a  tuk tuk guy who constantly kept coming back to the lay-by outside St Eulalia Hotel & Spa, stopping people asking if they wanted a ride. He was successful on 3 occasions and as  previously said I am sure the taxi drivers arn't pleased about the way they operate.

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 16/June/2018 at 17:26
"I wouldn't go in one of them if they offered me it for free" - me neither. They look as though advertising paint is holding the bodywork together and they'd fall apart with a strong gust of wind.

I thought they were just for sightseeing trips but we've seen several being flagged down, one by a family of 4 next to us who hired it to take them back to their accommodation near the marina.

Surely the licensing requirements/insurance/IPO etc that taxis have to comply with are more thorough and regulated. So where are the authorities in all this?

What next, rickshaws and horse drawn carriages?

-------------
Colin

Date Posted: 18/June/2018 at 08:29
Perhaps one of the operators would care to comment?

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: cameroncleggout
Date Posted: 18/June/2018 at 10:49
Must be making a living or they wouldn`t be operating

-------------
cameronout

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 18/June/2018 at 12:25
I guess kids will love them for their strangeness. They don't have much awareness of danger. I wonder if, were you injured in an accident on one of these, your holiday insurance would pay any medical bills.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: england 4 ever
Date Posted: 02/June/2020 at 08:52
hello put hollandaise web cam on yesterday and I did not see 1 tuk tuk go by have they all gone home

Date Posted: 02/June/2020 at 09:35
They have not been seen for weeks. No tourists = no customers.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk