Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My trip home yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My trip home yesterday
    Posted: 26/June/2022 at 10:12
Not a good day and not typical but this was my flying day yesterday.

Return trip Tonbridge Kent to Albufeira.

No trains to Gatwick because of the strikes, so instead of a 45 minute train journey it was 2 hours 50 minutes on three buses. Arrived at the North terminal around 1330.

No wait at Easyjet bag drop, flight flagged as on time, all good so far.

Very few staff working in the security zone, it took an hour from the back of the queue until I was airside.

Gate called at 1555, as usual in the most remote part of the airport. Flight due out 1645.

Incoming flight landed 1615 Ok I thought we might be a little late. 1700, an unintelligble  shouted announcement. Repeated a few minutes later, this time using the PA sytem. The aircraft had a 'number of technical issues' plus there was a weird statement about the crew's food being cross - contaminated. 1800 boarding eventually began. The aircraft's auxiliary power unit (the bit that provides power for the cabin air system while on the ground) was, we were told, not working, so it became rather warm. Taxied out and eventually took off 1834. Cabin crew announced (what now seems to be normal) no hot food, no sandwiches, no ice etc. That didn't worry me.

About 40 minutes out there was a commotion down at the front. A passenger had collapsed. Medical emergency declared. Luckily there was a doctor on board, but much concern. Plane then made an emergency landing in Bordeaux to get the chap to hospital with his family. We landed there at about 1940 BST and were on the ground for about two hours. Took off again 2145 landed at Faro 2334, i.e. about four hours late.

Unfortunately, six other flights from UK and Ireland has also just landed. That means around 2,000 people. The arrival area was packed solid, queuing up the stairs and beyond. Electronic gates not working, of course. No-one was marshalling the mob, so it was follow your nose. Four desks open (it did become five a bit later on) and it took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to get through and into baggage reclaim. Outside at 01.15 where I met the very patient and understanding algarveaddick who scooped me up. I got home just before 02.00

The crowd was, I have to say, very patient. Certain other nationalities would have stormed the gates for sure!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic