Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLandline phone.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landline phone.
    Posted: 29/April/2016 at 16:42
Hi, does anyone know how much per minute it costs to phone the UK from a Portuguese landline phone? I ask because I have one but the cost from a mobile phone is coming down to 4 pence per minute and I need to know which is the cheaper option.
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2016 at 17:09
A lot of landlines have free uk calls 9pm to 9am and poss weekends. Check what tariff you are on.
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2016 at 17:40
Thanks Pete,I was aware of the cheap rate hours and it does apply at the weekend. I will have a word with the supplier, Meo.
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2016 at 21:54
Further to that,I now have a new contract with Meo which gives me free phone calls pretty much worldwide. It costs 10 euros per month more than my original basic tariff but,I was spending 26 euros on average per month on phone calls. They also gave me 2 months free . It's a new deal so this may be useful to anyone who has a big phone bill.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2016 at 12:21
Great idea if the maths work out. Call charges here can be very high.

A recent five minute call to my UK bank cost me €2,75 (incl VAT) which fortunately I don't have to do very often.

I use Skype a lot!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2016 at 20:09
If you phone the UK a lot, it might be easier to sign up to a UK based Voice Over IP (VOIP) provider.

I use SIPGATE https://www.sipgate.co.uk/basic/

Its a pay as you go service (normally about 1p a min), and free to receive calls - you would end up with a UK land line number for your place in Portugal - so it doesn't cost UK folks anything to all you.

Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 14:33
Sorry, I was misinformed. Language problem. The guy who sold the package to me,did not explain that the 24 hour free calls is for Portugal only.To phone International numbers is free between 9pm and 9am. So,as it's now 4 p per minute from a UK mobile to a UK landline, I would be better off using that.
The guy sent an email to Meo head office explaining the situation and said that they will contact me and that,in cases like this where I ran up a phone bill of around 70 euros, believing that it was free,they usually give the person concerned about 200 free minutes.Heres hoping!
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 14:50
Hi Stuart,I have noted that your method is cheaper but,as I won't be making so many UK phone calls in future and I don't want the hassle of contacting every agency that I have dealt with both here and at home, to give them a new phone number, I will use my UK mobile. Plus,of course, my family and numerous friends would also have to be informed.
I have just finished completing the process of Registration to enable me to be treated the same as a Portuguese national under the Health Service, already had my Certificate of Residence and am registered with the Tax system here . It's been a long job,not to mention the frustration of beaurocracy and I now need to relax and enjoy some tranquillity, aided by the beautiful weather and a few sherbets!
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 15:11
Further to my previous posts,Meo have just phoned to say that I will be credited with the cost of the International calls due to the misunderstanding. You can't be fairer than that. Well done Meo.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 16:10
I've noticed on my last several visits to the mall below Continente that of the phone shops one is always rammed, queueing out the door when the others are relatively quiet. I think it's EE that's rammed but not certain.
Presumably they have a much better deal or offer going but this has been over the past three or four months so not a short term thing. Anyone any idea what the crack is as we, at some time in the near future, will have to sign up for a landline package to get the old broadband in?
Andrew
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 11:44
I think you will find that it's Meo that's usually got people queuing. It's on the left as you walk towards the cafés.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 12:40
Cheers Phil, yes it is on the left about four or five doors up before the Vodafone shop, is that MEO, not EE?
If so, thanks for the clarification and does anyone know what it is, or which deal/s that make them so much more popular in recent times?
Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 14:15
The MEO shop in Modelo moved there when the old PT shop in Rua das Telecomunicações closed down a couple of years ago.
The Modelo shop was previously just a Mobile Phone shop but now it's both MEO and Mobile Phones.
The reason why there are so many people queuing is because (a) things are always going wrong, (b) there is insufficient staff and (c) when you do get to speak to someone it takes forever for them to sort it out. It has little to do with them offering good deals or them being more popular.

Basement floor - entrance from the right

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 14:24
Cheers Dicey, I'll give up then on any hope there was a deal worth making the effort to go and sort!
Further, on the back of your advice, I best head for one of the quieter shops, presumably and conversely then, they must have no problems and plenty of staff! Yeah right! :-)
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic