Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hearing only bad news - Albufeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2019 at 20:33
Chris-Wiltshire, here here, touché, totally agree 👍
That’s exactly our view and not that we wish to out trump you, our first visit was ‘81, but your words are still totally applicable for us from that date.
Andrew
Chris-Wiltshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris-Wiltshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2019 at 22:54
Wow, 1981..... you've certainly seen the changes. So much is different now to when we first visited...Fishermen's Beach did what it said on the tin.....Bar Street had shops that weren't bars.....but everywhere is different today than it was in the past, wherever you go in the world. Cheap travel has brought more people and they don't all have the same tastes. Too easy to run a place down for the slightest of reasons, but look and you will see what you want to see.
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 00:21
Chris-Wiltshire. Very well said. My view entirely.   
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 11:51
Chris-Wiltshire. Apart from the bit about buying your place I echo every word.

Strangely I cant remember when we first visited Albufeira so I won't enter the date race but there were cars in the old square, only steps up from the beach and fishing boats hauled up on Fisherman's beach.
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 11:59
Occasionally in this thread I get a whiff of "I am a Traveller, You are a Tourist, They are Riffraff"
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 14:13
I am riff-raff and so is my wife... 
Go away Duchatalet
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 14:20
My wife wants me to promote vegan, veggie and gluten free meals and she's got me stocking soya milk in our restaurant on that vile strip where no sane person goes .....oh hang on - we did over 130 meals yesterday and very few, if any,  were groups of hens and stage but rather a nice mix of folk!
vinnym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 16:03
Originally posted by peteknopp peteknopp wrote:

My wife wants me to promote vegan, veggie and gluten free meals and she's got me stocking soya milk in our restaurant on that vile strip where no sane person goes .....oh hang on - we did over 130 meals yesterday and very few, if any,  were groups of hens and stage but rather a nice mix of folk!

Come on Pete, be realistic, schools are now finished, high season has started, everyone knows Stags and Hens all but disappear until September due to cost of accommodation.
Last time I was in Albufeira, (March), I walked down the strip on a Saturday afternoon about 16.00, there were a load of Stags in two bars not 75 yards from your place. Their behaviour was a disgrace. Would hate to have seen what they were like at midnight.
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 18:01
Stages and hens don't disappear because of "high season" costs. This is the months when they get married. I don't understand what the complainers expect from groups of stag and hen parties. They are there to what in their eyes is to enjoy themselves. If they had only taken over two bars that left plenty of other bars to choose from. Exactly the same behaviour takes place up and down the UK every week-end. Let's get the balance right. In my case I have walked the strip hundreds of times and very occasionally have encountered behaviour that could be deemed over the top.
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2019 at 18:47
Of course the Stags/Hens should be able to enjoy their holiday, but not to the detriment of other holiday makers.

Ally
Chloe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Chloe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2019 at 14:59
Originally posted by Super__Ally Super__Ally wrote:

Of course the Stags/Hens should be able to enjoy their holiday, but not to the detriment of other holiday makers.

Exactly and if Hamlet hasn't seen any behaviour he deems to be over the top then he has obviously been up and down the strip when it has been empty.
enrique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 12:04
Thank goodness for this thread i thought it was me getting older that thought that Albufeira was getting worse of wear from stag nights and hen parties, the wife and myself are in our 70s and have been coming to Albufeira for many years principally because we felt safe and have regularly commented on that fact, but this year we noticed even through the day there were more louts shall we call them , and in one of our quiet cafes the staff were also complaining because they were near the Valmangude and as its a cheaper hotel they are often stag and hen people there ,its not the hotels fault there just doing what they can for their customers, in past years the youngsters generally had a lie in and came out at night , but now its 24hrs non stop , we used to be able to let the young ones enjoy themselves down the strip and we would go down town with the families but im afraid its getting very much like the Strip, pity because we love coming to albufeira so much so we come 4 times a year , but i am now looking for somewhere different, Carvioero etc.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2019 at 20:02
Well I can’t tell you that you didn’t see what you saw but.. I’m amazed. We spent four months out there this summer and had many, many friends stay with us (we totally over did it but that’s another story). Everyone of our guests wanted to visit old town, day and night, dine in several restaurants they had heard about, visit several shops they had likewise heard about.
I reckon we averaged three days and three nights a week down there in 17 weeks, so over 100 visits this summer.
Like you I can only speak as I find and we never, ever, once saw anything of this nature.
The Old Town for us is as good as ever retaining its magical atmosphere and buzzing with Bon homie.
Enjoy Carvioero, we visited this summer on two nights, last night a lovely restaurant, we retired to the promenade area behind the beach, only about 9.45 pm and a stag party issued what they called a “double donkey dare”, €10 to enter, strip naked, run to the sea, get wet, run back to restaurant, first back took the pot. When they got back, over two dozen of them, they were in no rush, nor were encouraged by staff, to get dressed. Classy... NOT! We left.
Andrew
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2019 at 21:43
Andrew, are you saying Stag/Hen parties are better behaved in Albufeira than they are in Carvioero?     
I think not!

Jean and I are just back from a 10 day holiday in Albufeira and never encountered any trouble at all Smile 

Ally
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2019 at 08:04
No, I’m not saying that. I thought I was pretty clear, in four months we never saw any such shenanigans in Albufeira Old Town, I note you didn’t during your stay either.
In two nights in Carvioero we saw one such episode.
Make of it what you will, I’m reporting our factual experiences.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic