Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kids going to Portugese school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Di-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kids going to Portugese school
    Posted: 07/November/2017 at 15:18
Hi all,

I'm new here. We are strongly considering moving to Albufeira. The only thing that is worryingly by me is the kids, or to be more precise, my eldest. My kids are 3, just turned 7, and 9 (10 in Jan). I have read that going to a portugese state school (not private/international) is the best option. This is fine by me, I think it'll help massively with the language. My concern is whether my eldest would struggle to adapt, and I read somewhere that when a child gets to a certain age they are considered too old to start at a Portugese school. So, I guess I'm looking for some advice regarding the education over there, how you think my eldest would handle it, and if there is an age restriction on when they can start at a Portugese school (they know no Portugese)

Thank you 😊
Sponsored Links

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2017 at 17:42
Firstly welcome to the forum and good luck with your deliberations.
I can’t help with your specific questions but I can offer a plan B, possibly. One of my daughters is a teacher and through that we briefly connected with the Nobel International School on the N125 between Porches and Lagoa (easy journey from Albufeira) and it has rave reviews, I think if you find the state schools aren’t for your ten year old, this may we’ll be.
Google it and seek the reviews. Whatever you do, good luck and best wishes.
Andrew
Di-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Di-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2017 at 20:15
Thank you for your reply. I know exactly where that school is and it was a consideration. However, the prices are not within our budget, and also I have heard that children can struggle to form long friendships there as children come and go, as they are moved with their parents work. I also heard that Portugese favour giving jobs to state school people rather than the private/internationally educated. I've also read that to really integrate into the community, and for kids to make friends close by a state school is better. It is when I've really started to search around that I am becoming more confused, because people have different opinions, which we all will, but without having a crystal ball I am not certain which option would be the best.

Do you know whether there is a preference on age for U.K. Kids to start at state Portugese school?

Thanks for your help
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2017 at 22:43
I've kids in state school here so will try to ask. I have also copied the text of your post to a facebook group which has about 6000 members over here, mainly brits, dutch etc and hopefully someone will answer. Another thing with the private schools is that kids come from far and wide and don't often make school friends who live nearby.
Algarvehere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarvehere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2017 at 22:58
My daughter is in high school here in Albufeira and a new Russian child has just started.  He has been put in a lower year (he is 12), but has extra help with apoio language classes.  It is normal here, if children do not pass the year, they are have to re-do the year, so there are already two 12 yeaqr olds in the class, she is 10.

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/November/2017 at 23:06
A reply

.We moved to Portugal 11 years ago with our 3 kids which were age 17, 14 and 8. They couldn't speak any Portuguese. They went to a Portuguese school and within a few months they can speak Portuguese. Now, 11 years later they all speak fluent Portuguese, English and Dutch( their mother language ;) ). So don't worry about the age...good luck with your plans.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/November/2017 at 07:41
There is no age

Accordng to portugueses law all children/young people must complete 12 years of school or 18 years of age. If they do not complete their schooling they can leave once they reach 18, until then they have to continue until the 12th year. They try to place them in the correct year depending on curriculum previously studied. You should request transfer from school of origin. Good Luck.

To old? I was 14, best thing I did was go to portuguese school

My eldest daughter was nearly 11 when we moved here from England. Went to Portuguese school and picked it up very quickly. By the time she was about 14 she spoke Portuguese all the time and said she found it easier than speaking English! She's nearly 25 now, still loves living here, has a good job and thanks me for bringing her and her sisters here.

I did at 13 for just two years before going back to english education and yes it was difficult but it made me fluent and after continuing to work here i can also read and write to high standard so i think 10 years old and staying there will be completely fine.. of course socially it might be a tough start x

I have a 7 year old and he started at www.nobelalgarve.com at Porches 6 weeks ago. SO happy. He has two lessons of Portuguese a week too. Brilliant teacher, so attentive. They offer a 3rd sibling discount by the way. 
Not sure why someone would say not to go for an international school. Each to their own but I would go and get a feel first hand...
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2017 at 12:10
well, that was worth the effort..........not. private messaged to say replies but no re-visit to the site!  Grrrr.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2017 at 13:59
Colin
mirimic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirimic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2018 at 08:48
hi there !! I just enrolled to this forum and need some help. I moving to albufeira soon, with a 11 years old daughter. Need a state school. nervous for the language (my daughter speaks Romanian, German, English a bit Hungarian) . Please advice !!!! Thank youuu.
arthurhunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthurhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2018 at 16:11
Hope they go in a school where christian education is taught.
Londongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Londongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/December/2018 at 19:51
Hi All

I am also looking at Nobel school in Lagoa and would love to hear from someone whose kids already atttend.

We are looking at the sixth form and I wanted to know what the attitude of the teachers is like, are they any good.

My other concern is that do the kids come from a large radius so making mixing socially more difficult.
Thanks in advance
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic