Topic ClosedMobile Internet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 14:58
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 15:04
Would it not be best to just use the free WIFi that practically every bar and restaurant in town provide. Obviously, buy a drink first. Also, you mention the Hotel Boavista, well, they have free WiFi also.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
happygirl709 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 17:44
We do use the free wifi at the bars when we go out for a drink but my teenage daughter likes to keep in contact with her friends at the most unsociable of hours and also when we go over to our apartment in the winter we like to watch Filmon and at the moment I just can't get that at all with the Nos mobile internet I am using. As I said before I was persuaded to pay 15 euros for 15 days of supposedly unlimited internet but it was a waste of time and a waste of money.We have never been to the Hotel Boavista but our apartment is close by. I was wondering perhaps if it was the area we were in which was why I was asking whether anyone else had experience of using it around that area
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 19:42
Originally posted by happygirl709 happygirl709 wrote:

I just can't get that at all with the Nos mobile internet I am using. As I said before I was persuaded to pay 15 euros for 15 days of supposedly unlimited internet but it was a waste of time and a waste of money.

Anyone else got experience of the NOS service - I was looking to buy one of these as its definitely the best value for money.  Perhaps you got a faulty router with it?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 20:27
Yes Stuart123 that is something else we have thought about. When I went to Worten to buy the 10 euro 10 day NOS SIM for my hot spot they had completely sold out and said they were not doing them any more but what they were doing was this 15 euro, 15 day NOS sim, so I bought that. I think next time I am over I am either going to buy a new hot spot for the NOS SIM card or buy a new Vodafone hotspot and sim and try that one out. I just wanted to find out what everyone else was using and which they thought was the best, thanks for your help though
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 20:56
I'm back in Portugal in a couple of weeks so will buy a SIM and hotspot and see how I get on, will report here on progress.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 21:20
Thank you stuart123 I will be very interested to see how you get on. - thanks everyone for your time trying to help me
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2016 at 23:16
If you want to watch Filmon in your apartment, best get MEO.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2016 at 09:56
Speed isn't everything. It's all very well having lots of Megabits per second, but if everyone else is trying to use it at the same time, something has to give.  The nearest analogy I can make is your water taps. There is a finite amount of water coming into the house. If only one or two taps are being used, it's OK but it everyone's using one and the garden is being watered and the pool being refilled, the flow to an individual outlet will slacken off and perhaps be interrupted.

I had a NOS 3G pen for internet for a while, but in the afternoons especially, when all the kids are at home texting their friends they haven't seen for an hour and Facebooking and stuff, it would frequently stop altogether. I live in a residential area, more users per square wotsit than others I guess.

As Bob D says, if you want to watch TV or other streamed broadcasts or use Skype video on line in your own apartment, it's worth paying the €36 Euros or so per month for a MEO broadband connection. You also get a landline phone, so can receive and make calls probably less expensively.  If you pay a bit more, you can get the 60 or so basic local non subscription TV channels, many of which broadcast in English. You do need a Portuguese bank account for the direct debit of course.

Worth planning ahead. When the EU exit comes into force, you can bet your life that UK mobile companies will hike up roaming charges as they will no longer be bound by the EU rules about that.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2016 at 11:08
We pay €29.00 per month for similiar package with Vodafone, we have broadband, TV and landline. Great value.

stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2016 at 23:11
Probably not worth a contract for me at the moment, place is only occupied for 4 or 5 months of the year.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2016 at 06:10
Yes I'm the same Stuart123
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic