Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTuk Tuk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuk Tuk
    Posted: 11/June/2016 at 15:20
A selection of the latest transportation craze to hit Albufeira. Tuk Tuk's.

Colin
Sponsored Links

Epi360 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2016 at 17:20
They look very interesting are they very expensive to hire ? Look like they could be a fun way to get around
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2016 at 18:49
Might look nice but I question the  stability & safety of them should someone unfortunately crash into you. I wouldn't think it would be a  good experience.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2016 at 19:01
They  are like a lot of the 3 wheelers the Portuguese had years ago.They  have them in lots of holiday resorts never been in one but should imagine quite safe.
caz
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2016 at 22:02
I remember them very well Carole after a bad experience many years ago  while horse riding at Vale Navio stables. Just coming back off a ride and going into the paddock when one of these little noisy things came along the dirt track and made my horse bolt. I hung on for dear life, so scary, I saw my whole life cross in front of me lol and hubby and youngest son were stood there watching and laughing. They got the rough end of my tongue I can tell you Unhappy. I should imagine the tuk tuks are a lot quieter than the old 3 wheelers they originate from.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/June/2016 at 22:09
many moons ago a guy had family coming over and he scouted building sites near the airport til he found a 3 wheeler + owner. Offered x amount of cash and explained the deal and next thing the oldish guy had shot home to get changed into a suit. Plonked him in the arrivals hall with a name card and Will was hidden taking pics of the result when family led out to car park to their 'taxi'. being film and not digital, I never remember seeing the pics but was a great story. Been in loads in Thailand and luckily 3 parts to the wind so didn't realise how scary they can be - sober, they are scary!
Patti View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 03:44
Yea have been in them in Thailand too - we couldn't believe it when we saw them in Albufeira   - just seems funny seeing them there!
steven.vanessa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 09:56
Was on one in Lisbon last year it was fine surprisingly and the guy was throwing it about to give us a laugh and it felt stable. Not sure about in a crash though as no protection but same would be if you were on a moped etc.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 12:06
There are several firms running them and to me it certainly seems by casual observation they are trying to operate as taxis around town. Whether that is legal or not i don't know, but stand by for a punchup between taxi and tuk tuk men.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 12:37
Agreed. When I was looking at the motorbikes next to them there was a family of 3 asked to be taken to the marina and off they went......
Colin
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 12:51
It seemed when they first appeared they plodded around town but now they are whizzing around....like Cubsur says seem to be more of a taxi than a pleasure ride.
Wireman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/June/2016 at 13:02
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

There are several firms running them and to me i<span style="line-height: 1.4em;">t certainly seems by casual observation they are trying to operate as taxis around town. Whether that is legal or not i don't know, but stand by for a punchup between taxi and tuk tuk men.</span>
I thought exactly the same, however walked up to top of escalators yesterday and my daughter asked how much would it be to the Alfagar and the answer was €15. She thought that was ok for 5 plus a pram as it was probably the price of 2 taxis which we would have needed. I thought a tad on the high side. After doing our stuff in the old town we asked the lady for a price and was told €10, not bad and a very nice ride back too.
Regular Visitor
AlgarveTraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 21:57
It is indeed a great way to know Albufeira during the summer, all those little alley's =) 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic