Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Miscellaneous / Diverso
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbufeira flood November 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2015 at 09:46
Drogaria Vitor was still closed as of Sunday. There is or was a notice on the door to say that had relocated to a place near the Finanças building opposite the Câmara.

I will be in town and in both places later, so will have a better look.

"Further to your offer of being a key holder for people! Fab :-)"

I already have two sets. If ever something needs checking it only costs a beer or two. Also helps if you lose your main set to have a spare lodged with someone as I also do.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2015 at 16:34
Just been down to Olhos D'Agua.
No visible signs of any road or pavement damage along the whole length of the main road from the traffic lights down to the beach.
No signs that any repair work has been carried out either.
Beach didn't look as though any sand had been washed away.
All the businesses that would usually be open at this time of the year were open.
There was no obvious damage to any buildings.
It all looked pretty normal.
Quite surprising really given that everything either side of that fairly steep road slopes towards it.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2015 at 18:18

We went to the Old Town today for a look see, what a strange experience and, how sad.

Credit to all involved, in whatever capacity, in the clean up and rebuild, clearly massive progress has been made and that’s the key, massive progress has been made but still the scale of damage, loss, devastation just overwhelms you.

From that, a few observations: There are people working to repair and then there are members of the public, be they locals, tourists, ex pats.. walking and looking around… and clearly everyone is, not shocked, that would be too strong, but numbed by what they see and they, everyone including us, is talking in a hushed tone creating an almost surreal atmosphere. Add to that the noises, the prevalent noises and it’s like a movie set, or a building site, but then again, that’s pretty much what it is.

The noises. Walking down Liberdade all you can hear is the whacker plates doing the finishing touches to the newly replaced calcadas and the bobcats and diggers distributing more stone and base course for the gangs of workers to carry on replacing, in the Square all you can hear is the chipping of pick hammers as workers are placing, individually the calcadas, down Bar Street all you can hear are power tools, drills, kango’s, saws…

We saw several friends and acquaintances down there, business owners, with total stock loss…

All quite humbling and very, very sad. Apologies if my words don’t do it justice, it’s not a situation or experience I’ve ever come across before, all I can say is, I found it deeply moving and in a very sad way.

One positive I loved, there are Albufeira flags flying, great stuff, where do I get one of those from!

Andrew
lucyr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2015 at 19:18
Andrew thank you so much for your post, you were clearly moved by what you experienced, being removed from the situation is easy, thanks again.
my beautiful portugal
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/November/2015 at 20:10
Obviously this thread is a tragic one but the way the forum has communicated the events is both factual and informative. From photographs to maps and from descriptions to heartfelt observations it's all here.

In an odd sort of way I would like to be there and feel I'm missing out on a piece of Albufeira history. By the time I'm back out in June next year it will hopefully be a fading memory and the many people and businesses affected are back on their feet.

Your account is a different slant Andrew and your words do do it justice.
Colin
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2015 at 10:25
I can imagine your feelings Andrew very similar to what I felt walking through Manchester after the Bomb.Strange not really taking in what has happend .We are over in 5 weeks time and shall see for ourselves what amount of work has been put in by everyone after seeing all the pictures online.
caz
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2015 at 11:54
Drogaria Vítor is temporarily located in a kind of lock-up garage in Beco Gil Vicente, which is the street that goes off to the right at the Finanças office just before you go downhill towards the escalators.

Incidentally the escalators are still not working.

We saw last night that a crew is busy putting up the Christmas lights! One school of though was that it would maybe cheer a few people up.
Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2015 at 17:54
Yes we saw three teams putting up Christmas lights, that was a weird one as well, flood devastation here, a bar operating normally there, Xmas decs going up here, and flood damaged goods at bargain prices there... surreal!
We also saw a firm installing replacement awnings (Toldos), their sign said they were professionals so I took a pic in case anyones interested.. WinkLOLWink

Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2015 at 19:48
Not a lot of damage to anything on Falesia beach.
That is apart from the walkway from the Sheraton Hotel down to their beach club which looks to have taken a bit of a hammering.
Serves them right for trying to mess about with nature by putting up their unsightly sandbags Big smile
Golfino's has survived unscathed.

What is noticeable however is how the channels where the water runs down the cliffs are much deeper, and more visable than before

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Slushpuppy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/November/2015 at 21:09
Thanks for all the updates, especially Cubsur for the map and details about the escalator. My dad was asking about this today, they fly out on the 1st.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/November/2015 at 09:07
I will do another round up on Sunday.

I can echo Dicey's comments about the rainwater gullies from this end of town. Although not as pronounced, the weeks of dry weather prior to the storm meant the topsoil was very powdery. it was then easily washed down.

There have been a lot of minor mudslides and rockfalls, further blocking drains and ditches. Some have been tidied up but not all.
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2015 at 19:26
A number of garden walls on the roadside on the N125 have collapsed as a result of the excess water I assume.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2015 at 11:14
A squad was busy yesterday afternoon repairing the damage to the area where the NYE stage will be located. Another lot were putting up tall scaffold towers for the Christmas lights. More tomorrow.

Albufeira Resident

mariae67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2015 at 18:02
Thanks for the update over acoteias my place is there so good to know all is good, thanks to everybody for the updates and photos, really appreciated it sat here in the uk, looking forward to coming over for New Year
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2015 at 08:17
Just a quick update. Anywhere that wants to be open is open down in the old town. The only exceptions are the two supermarkets on the Avenida 25 de Abril (that's the road between the old town square and the pier) which remain closed as does the Baltum hotel and the parking garage opposite.

The major problem is rebuilding the road that comes down into town. It was completely destroyed along with all the drains and pipes that ran underneath it. All that sub-surface infrastructure is having to be rebuilt before the road can be relaid on top. There is a temporary road suitable for cars leading to the parking that is available at that end, but buses and taxis still cannot go there as their station is being used by the contractors working on the road etc.

Most of the damaged cobblestones around the square etc have been relaid.

I took some pictures yesterday which will be available later today.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic