Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Local Politics / Polí­tica Local
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

French ATC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2016 at 10:35
The airport website shows almost every incoming flight delayed today because of the anti-government actions in France. Average delay seems to be about an hour but some flights from eg Leeds and Manchester delayed 2 hours and a couple of mid-day flights out of Gatwick likely to be over 2 hours late. Only three actual cancellations though, one from Paris and two late Easyjets, one each from Gatwick and Southend.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Wireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2016 at 08:18
David, friends of ours had an email from easy jet yesterday to inform them that their flight to Majorca had been cancelled today, talk about 11th hour!
Regular Visitor
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2016 at 05:55
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2016 at 22:36
Originally posted by camara1969 camara1969 wrote:

so tonisdad your saying its ok to be ironic when someone has just took there life?

Just to clarify things camara1969 - I have every sympathy for the train driver but absolutely none for the deceased. He, for what ever reason, decided to end it.
However, unlike the train driver, he had a choice and doesn't have to live with the consequences.
It may be sad that people feel the need to commit suicide but if that's what they want to do then there are plenty of ways to end it that do not involve ruining other peoples lives (i.e. the train driver & the people who had to sort the mess out afterwards) or disrupting thousands of people who just want to get on with their daily business.
You may have seen "happy days" as a flippant remark but I can assure you that it wasn't intended as such. In fact the remark was aimed mainly at the French ATC.
After taking over 14 hours to get from my home to my holiday destination, when it should have taken less than 7 hours, do you seriously expect me to be over the moon about the experience or have sympathy for the people who caused it?
And in case you're in any doubt, the answer is no, I am not and no, I don't.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2016 at 19:42

so tonisdad your saying its ok to be ironic when someone has just took there life?

You obviously don`t understand the context of the post. The poster was giving the reason for the delay and being ironic when saying ..."HAPPY DAYS"...  not the person taking THEIR life not THERE.
Trot on can`t be bothered conversing with people who have nothing better to do than look for pointless keyboard arguments for no reason.
camara1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camara1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2016 at 14:43
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2016 at 13:18

to dicey HAPPY DAYS someone topped themselves, my dad was a train driver when someone decided to take there life which I sure was the most hardest decision of their short life and my dad had to live with seeing a body under the stainless steel wheels which torn there body apart, yea so think on with your short inconvenience, and enjoy your holiday and be glad you were not in that position of throwing yourself under the wheels or even wondering what you have just hit on your normal working day, yea HAPPY DAYS INDEED

I think you took the wrong interpretation of "HAPPY DAYS" In Dicey`s post. Look up irony that may help you understand.
camara1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camara1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 20:36
to dicey HAPPY DAYS someone topped themselves, my dad was a train driver when someone decided to take there life which I sure was the most hardest decision of their short life and my dad had to live with seeing a body under the stainless steel wheels which torn there body apart, yea so think on with your short inconvenience, and enjoy your holiday and be glad you were not in that position of throwing yourself under the wheels or even wondering what you have just hit on your normal working day, yea HAPPY DAYS INDEED
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

You need a holiday after that Dicey!

The next 5 weeks should sort that out nicely Wink

Colin
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 17:58
Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

The next 5 weeks should sort that out nicely Wink

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 17:11

Despite there not being an ATC strike when we went out we routed over Anglesey, Dublin and Cork which is way further West than our usual Cardiff, Exeter, Brittany route. No delays outbound and normal route back with 20 minutes shaved off the flight.

About 10 weeks until the next trip so fingers crossed.
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 16:46
And us dicey but, thankfully, not as bad as you.
Monarch out of Brrr minge ham, 30 minute delay on departure and 20 minute longer flight going the long way round and not cutting across the French airspace. Still an annoying inconvenience though, I'm going to stop buying their wine by way of my little retaliatory protest, and boy, do they not realise what that will cost them! Hic! Wink
Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 06:27
Got caught up in this yesterday
Arrived at the airport 2 hours before flight time & it said 2.5 hour delay.
Then after a couple of hours it went to 3 hours delay.
Got on the plane 3 hours late but then sat on it another hour before we got a slot.
Easyjet were brilliant though - because we were on the plane when the 3 hour trigger point came for a £3 food voucher, which technically we didn't qualify for, they gave us free soft drinks & snacks just after we took off.
We were not the worst though - flights to Ibiza & Amsterdam had 5 hour delays.
And all this after our train journey to the airport was delayed because someone had topped themselves in front of an earlier train.
Happy days.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/May/2016 at 10:59
Sire, the peasants are revolting! I knooow that!

Les Français, non fiables! Mon Dieu, perfide Albion.

True we have been fighting them more often and for longer than they have been on our side.

I blame William of Normandy. He started it.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/May/2016 at 10:30
I don't care for France as an ally, unreliable.  But the French are interesting.  The current republic was made in revolution and they know how to get the attention of their government by revolting.  And they don't give a damn what others think of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic