Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ALBUFEIRA WILDLIFE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2017 at 17:32
The front looks like a praying mantis.

I searched google images for "mantis portugal" and there are a few that look very similar. What do you think ?
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 09:03
Not a clue Col, I'll do the same as you and see what Google throws up.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 09:53
I think it is some kind of praying mantis. Don't remember ever seeing one myself.

They seem to be more green than brown in many of the pictures I find.

However, this rather unpleasant looking specimen seems to fit the bill

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 13:02
I have seen a few praying mantis here, but they have always been the green ones.  
Go away Duchatalet
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 13:44
I think guys, that's what it was, thanks for the interest.
Andrew
A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 14:20
Can't cope with anything like that ,seen a cockroach last night near to where I was sat and took to my heels ..... how undignified 😂
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/September/2017 at 11:12
Monster bug seen last night, outside my back door hanging on the wall. About 10cm long. I hope there aren't too many of these flying around.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/December/2017 at 18:32
Above the road that leads down to the fishing harbour this afternoon, seemingly oblivious to the many seagulls weaving around.

And at the top of the hill heading back into town, this rather cross looking mog

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2018 at 18:06
Was out walking this afternoon, almost trod on these two having fun.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2018 at 10:19
A relative of Mr No Ears perhaps?

And one of the tribe that lives by the viewing platform making the most of the afternoon sun.

Albufeira Resident

A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2018 at 11:02
The white cat is more than likely mr no ears sister as the brother is quite reclusive
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2018 at 07:31
A few wild flowers

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2018 at 13:09
Oceanville and Páteo today

Albufeira Resident

lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2018 at 17:26
How pretty
my beautiful portugal
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/May/2018 at 05:39
There's been a group of Iberian Magpies in the pine trees at the back of us including a young chick that's probably about 3 weeks old. I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago when I walked along the garden and I got attacked by an adult magpie - it swooped down from behind me and hit my right ear. Obviously I had got too close to the chick which unbeknown to me was sitting in the hedge.
Anyway, it's been around here ever since as it can't fly yet and yesterday morning, as it was parked only 5 yards from our patio, I managed to get some pictures. The first one is an adult stealing a piece of bread from a Blackbird. On the others you can just see the tip of the wings of the chick, which has no tail yet, beginning to turn blue.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic