Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 83>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2017 at 18:18
Well, having lost our November flights with the demise of Monarch I set about finding alternatives today, with no success as virtually all flights are sold out and what isn't is extortionate! I guess the cancelled Ryanair flights together with Monarch disappearing has altered the market and the supply v demand balance has changed considerably.
Andrew
cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2017 at 20:02
Flew from Faro on Wednesday to Manchester. After the collapse of Monarch was worried about getting home. Anyway luckily I had no need to. My departure time was changed to 1 hour later and we flew with a company called Hifly based in Lisbon. Flight very smooth and took 2hrs 30mins. We were given free hot Bacon Paninis and a free drink. No Alcohol or gifts etc Of course when we arrived in Manchester it was pouring down with rain. Can't wait to come back again. Maybe worth looking at Hifly for flights.
Loving it in the sun

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2017 at 20:59
Pleased you got back to the UK without too much inconvenience.

HiFly are an aircraft leasing company (the type the government could call upon) who provide capacity to the market in times of extreme demand or where airlines have an aircraft shortage for whatever reason. However they   do not operate scheduled services and therefore you won't be using them for you trips to the Algarve. Sorry. 😣
Colin
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2017 at 19:03
There is more to the Monarch collapse ... one of my hotel bookings was made through one of their bed wholesale companies ... so I lost Paladim in November, along with two Ryanair flights, November and January, into Prestwick. However, managed to re-book everything quickly ... got Alagoa Mar in November ... two new Ryanair flights, plus 80 euros gift, plus a £13 refund on my original hotel cost. Other people must have ended up quids in too .. but feel for those caught up in less satisfactory situations.
Pyrman
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/October/2017 at 10:04
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

Other people must have ended up quids in too .. but feel for those caught up in less satisfactory situations.

yes we have if we can use the Ryanair vouchers I thought the 40 and 80 euro vouchers were per booking but they are per person.
Mind having a QUICK look at the Ryanair flights the prices have been raised accordingly.

Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2017 at 16:01
I've just booked Ryanair back to UK in December - €186 return but that includes €80 for extra legroom seats so very happy with that.

Forgot to say that was for two of us
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2017 at 10:59
My trip to Gatwick and back in 10 days was £103 return with Easyjet and of that 50% was for the big shopping bag I am taking!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2017 at 06:07
A couple of new things on easyJet.

1. Hands Free.

You can now check in a cabin size bag into the hold for £4 one way. You cannot take another cabin size bag on board but you can take a small under the seat laptop or hand bag with you. The benefit of this is that, if like us you occassionally want to take some liquids (e.g. sauces, shampoo, cosmetics etc) from the UK that are hard to find or bloody expensive in Portugal, then you can put them in a cabin size bag in the hold without having to fork out £20+ that you would normally have to pay a hold bag. You can't book this on line when you buy your flight so you simply take the bag to Bag Drop, check it in and pay the £4 there & then.

From their website

• Drop off your cabin bag at our Bag Drop desks when you arrive at the airport where your cabin bag will be tagged as priority and will be looked after through to the arrival airport.
  • Maximum bag size (length + width + height) = 56cm x 45cm x 25 cm, including handles and wheels.
  • Prices: £4 per person each way/ £10 for a group bundle each way. We take card payments at our Bag Drop desks. Any cash payments are processed at our Customer Service desk.
  • You can carry a small under the seat laptop or hand bag on board with you.
  • Duty free items purchased in the airport can be taken on board.
  • A small plastic bag will be given to you at Bag Drop to place any valuable & essential items for your flight.
  • Pass through security without having to unpack your bag or be restricted on the amount of liquids.
  • At the Boarding gate there is no rush to board to find a space for your cabin bag however you can board first after Speedy Boarding by presenting your Hands Free tag to our ground crew.
  • At Arrivals your bag will be among the first to be delivered the baggage belt.

2. Pre Order Food & Drink

You can now pre-order any food or drink that you want on board.

https://preorders.easyjet.com/

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2017 at 10:16
It's frequently been a Thursday but:-

The next batch of Easyjet flights, for flights up to 27th October 2018, will go on sale from Wednesday 22 November.

Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2017 at 10:43
Thanks Col.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
R100ELP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R100ELP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2017 at 12:42
Flights booked for next October with Easyjet yesterday at £20 each going out its just a shame I needed a flight backCry which cost considerably more.
Was also able to get any hotel I wanted being an early booker now all I have to do is look forward to my May trip out in the knowledge that Im already booked to come back! 
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 14:14
Ryanair closing their Glasgow Aiport base - destinations from there reduced from 23 to 3
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Analogue.man.in.a.di View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analogue.man.in.a.di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Ryanair closing their Glasgow Aiport base - destinations from there reduced from 23 to 3

Ouch First of many imo.
 The fiction that Brexit won't impact volumes using the low-cost carriers is risible. I suspect Flybe & Jet2Com will be next..  Unhappy
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2018 at 08:17
There are people who think they will not be allowed to go on holiday to Portugal, Spain etc as from next year. So they are not booking up. Likewise EU citizens who presumably will need passports to enter UK rather than their national ID cards which they can use at present. As we know, passports are expensive.

Moving some routes to Edinburgh and still flying from Prestwick. O'Leary also blames UK Air Passenger Duty (tax) but still flying from Glasgow to Poland.

Look at some of the places they fly to at the moment - Carcassonne,
Sofia, Riga, Palanga (that's in Lithuania in case you didn't know) and
Bydgoszcz, none of which strikes me as a massive traffic generator.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2018 at 09:50
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

There are people who think they will not be allowed to go on holiday to Portugal, Spain etc as from next year. So they are not booking up. Likewise EU citizens who presumably will need passports to enter UK rather than their national ID cards which they can use at present. As we know, passports are expensive.

But even allowing for idiots like that there will still be 20m+ Brits who will travel to Europe next year and even more Europeans coming the other way. The Ryanair decision has got nothing to do with Brexit, but they chuck that into the reasons because O'Leary is against it. It is puerly a business decision made for financial and operational reasons. Nothing else.
Besides as it's still only Feb 2018, doubt very much that anybody is booking up for 2019, even if they could.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5657585960 83>
  Share Topic