Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro rate at moment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 105>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameswhufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

Just returned from the shops here, Eurochange rate is 1.210 Cry

Thats better than what Cubsur reported was being offered in town 7 days ago?

cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 12:08
Showing 1.24 on TV but that's probably not tourist rates.
Loving it in the sun

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 12:40
Originally posted by jameswhufc jameswhufc wrote:

Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

Just returned from the shops here, Eurochange rate is 1.210 Cry

<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; top: -100000px; left: -100000px; : transparent;">

Thats better than what Cubsur reported was being offered in town 7 days ago?

Sorry should have made it clear, I'm talking about rates on the high street in the UK. Cubsur was referring to rates in Albufeira.
Colin
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 14:14
mmmm, aint I glad I got mine yesterday. BTW the stock markets of other European countries had dropped far more than the UK market just before lunch.  I noticed too while in town this morning that  the exchange rate at our  local agencies was €1.20 and the US dollar $1.30
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 14:14
1.22 at Vilamoura this morning.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 16:05
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Don`t take this the wrong way Pyrman but I believe in the past you have advised that the Pound/Euro rate fluctuates with the seasons and a couple of years ago  that the Pound would be about worthless against the Euro before long?

nonsense ... I have never posted anything like that.  There is `normally`greater demand for euro at this time and in more sensible times, it would have risen, but many other factors are recently at work. I did say that the pound should be around 1.10, based on a europe-wide recovery, which again didn`t happen ... but lets face it ... 1.24, or whatever it is tomorrow, isn`t far from there now.

Andrew has also posted that pound is `lowest ever` ... not true ... what has been reported is the biggest FALL since 1985.  In 2008, just before the financial crash, pound stood at 0.98 cents. You`ve had a good spell for some pretty clear reasons ... but that is almost certainly over, as brexit economic damage emerges. Longer term, merely on size, the pound is vastly inferior to US dollar, euro, yen, yuan, rupee and several other currencies .. and when the London financial market weakens, there is practically no good reason for its existence.

I might add that we don`t seem to be alone in recommending pound-exit ... causing many agencies to close their currency dealings today.

Pyrman
Epi360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epi360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 17:21
Just been down in the old town exchange just down the hill from Merlins bar rate is 1.15 !!
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

Don`t take this the wrong way Pyrman but I believe in the past you have advised that the Pound/Euro rate fluctuates with the seasons and a couple of years ago  that the Pound would be about worthless against the Euro before long?

nonsense ... I have never posted anything like that.  There is `normally`greater demand for euro at this time and in more sensible times, it would have risen, but many other factors are recently at work. I did say that the pound should be around 1.10, based on a europe-wide recovery, which again didn`t happen ... but lets face it ... 1.24, or whatever it is tomorrow, isn`t far from there now.

Andrew has also posted that pound is `lowest ever` ... not true ... what has been reported is the biggest FALL since 1985.  In 2008, just before the financial crash, pound stood at 0.98 cents. You`ve had a good spell for some pretty clear reasons ... but that is almost certainly over, as brexit economic damage emerges. Longer term, merely on size, the pound is vastly inferior to US dollar, euro, yen, yuan, rupee and several other currencies .. and when the London financial market weakens, there is practically no good reason for its existence.

I might add that we don`t seem to be alone in recommending pound-exit ... causing many agencies to close their currency dealings today.

As I said basically what you are saying about the pound now " no good reason for its existence" is what you were saying 2 or 3 years ago.
There will always be Sterling we are and always will be one of the safest bets for honest financial dealing.
There will be ups and downs but when things get ironed out we can look after our own house and not have to worry about bailing out half of the Eurozone that is if one exists for very much longer. See how Germany and France feel about propping the rest up. Their financial markets have faired worse than ours today we are down about 3% German Dax about 7%and French CAC about 8%.
That about sums up their feelings not a lot of happy investors in the Euro markets either.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 17:42

Andrew has also posted that pound is `lowest ever` ... not true ... what has been reported is the biggest FALL since 1985.  In 2008, just before the financial crash, pound stood at 0.98 cents.

Two points -
1. Any reference to 1985 is obviously referring to the £ v $ as there was no Euro in 1985
2. The rate (i.e. bank rate) has never been below 1 to 1. The lowest was in December 2008 at around 1.02

http://gbp.fx-exchange.com/eur/exchange-rates-history.html

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 17:57
Same as I said in earlier post  Tonisdad, the other eurozone markets dropped a lot more than ours, so under the circumstances I feel we will hold our own. I too agree that that sterling has never been at 98cents, it was at  parity for a stage  If I'm wrong I would love to see proof of it. 
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 18:39

Don`t take this the wrong way Pyrman but I believe in the past you have advised that the Pound/Euro rate fluctuates with the seasons

nonsense ... I have never posted anything like that. 

"Sterling dips/euro highs seem to have occurred at times of maximum trading ... `easter`, mid summer and mid-autumn ... when demand from UK holiday-makers for euros will be highest".
http://www.albufeira.com/forum/euro-rate-at-moment_topic3435_post83880.html#83880
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 08:29
Pyrman, you state "Andrew has also posted that pound is `lowest ever'"

Can you tell me where please? I did post 'lowest since 1985' but believe you're above statement is wrong, I didn't post that.
Andrew
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 10:30
OK ... apologies to Andrew .. thought we were talking about pound-euro. I have also mis-read the wiki version of pound-euro ... should have been 98p ... not 98 cents .. as David has reported.

However, I have not said `fluctuates with seasons` ... referring to those only as `periods of high demand`.... I`ll leave it there. We obviously disagree on where it is going and can only wait and see  ..

Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 13:42
1.15 for cash in town today. Unless you enjoy giving your money away, change cash in UK before leaving or use cards when here.

There was a day, one day only I think, when it was 99 cents to the £ here. I cannot find the data but that implies a commercial rate of about 1.02.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/June/2016 at 17:10
1.19 Cry
The tourist rate quoted by the Post Office is between 1.15 & 1.17 depending on the amount you want
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 105>
  Share Topic