Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hearing only bad news - Albufeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 22:41
My wife and I are in our early 70's (Both OAP's) We stayed for the first week in June this year. It was the week England were playing at the football championships. Our first 5 days were bliss until 12 ''Lads'' from Sheffield arrived at our hotel. Their language and behavior was very very poor to say the least. The day after England lost a game they drank continually all day and eventually had the pool to themselves as everyone else went elsewhere. A round of beer was 12 x 5 euros so the chap manning the pool bar wasn't going to complain. Neither would the hotel management. We will not be returning to this hotel again.   
Ally
runningman73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runningman73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2019 at 00:04
Honest opinion. 25yr ago we all might have been the young folk getting let loose for a couple of weeks. 
However, haven't been in Albufeira for 18mths, but a couple of time I was walking down the strip, mid afternoon and got offered drugs (hassish) . Not interested, I was on a march for a pint.
Coming back in couple of weeks, staying at Corcovada.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2019 at 09:33
Ally ... “We will not be returning to this hotel again.”. Neither would I at €5 a beer, that’s rip off!
Take your point about the laddish behaviour but seriously why would you pay that when it’s readily available at less than half that?
Andrew
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2019 at 11:20
I prefer first hand reports which the original post was not.
Perhaps the only "honest opinion" is one that agrees with preconceptions of the OP.
Or he may be a wind-up merchant or troll.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2019 at 14:58
Andrew, I did not and would not pay that price for a beer. But they did. Desperado beer I think. 

Ally
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2019 at 16:20
Gotcha, understand. 👍
Andrew
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tiganut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2019 at 07:24
I have owned a property since 2008,dont get out there enough,but when I do,I use bars,& restaurants away from the strip,Bar Street,etc,as these are not my thing.Try Windmill Hill area,or the Marina.Lots of family friendly places to go.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2019 at 08:57
My wife and I spend 6 months of the year in albufeira and has been said on here there is enough bars around to avoid the stag and hen parties also more and more bars in the old town will not cater for stag and hen parties

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2019 at 22:03
Dave
How do you avoid them in your hotel and at the hotel pool.?
Ally
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 01:15
You are being very harsh.
I don't think for one minute the Management of the Hotel you were in would have been happy with 12 slobs chasing away their normal trade of regulars round the pool.
It seems unfortunately to be no different behaviour to almost any large Town or City in the U.K. at the moment.
Have you been into Edinburgh City for a refreshment (by the way, a pint at The Royal Highland Show this week is £5.00)after a Hibs V Hearts Derby or even worse, Glasgow after our two have played. I wouldn't go near Glasgow. Similarly I wouldn't go near the Strip at week-ends.
You like me are old enough to remember our "great" supporters by- annual treck to London taking a wee dip in the fountain at Nelsons Column. Same behaviour, different generation.
To some of the other posters, we have to get real, drugs are with us,
whether we like or not, and there is a ready market with cash flush youngsters and sometime not so young. No where is immune.
It will not stop me continuing to return on holiday
Rant over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 10:18
You think I am being harsh by not returning to a hotel that did not care about its customers? What would you have me do. Book again with this hotel and waste another holiday? Not me, once bitten twice shy as they say. 
I am in the process of booking again for September (we go to Albufeira 3 times per year January, June and September) and have noticed that a fair few of the hotels have statements in their adverts that they do NOT accept ''Stag'' or ''Hen'' parties. I will select one of these hotels for my next holiday.
You actually give fuel to my statement when you say ''you would not go near the Strip at the week-ends'' or Edinburgh or Glasgow at certain times. 
YOU have been driven away from these places by bad behavior. 

Your point about drugs is another issue and I will let others who know more about it than me comment.  
Ally
LIBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LIBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 13:45
We were in the Santa Eulalia area in May / June of this year.
We felt there was an obvious reduction in the number of British stags/hens in the area and an increase in the number of couples with young families, which was refreshing to see (maybe due to the attraction of the all inclusive hotels in the area).
We don’t really visit bars often but did go a few times to watch the football and soak up the atmosphere. We went to the Rockline bar, Hangover bar and Sol cafe. There were groups (of mostly middle aged men) in the Rockline and Hangover bars (no stags/hens), and some were, as you would expect, a little tipsy and a bit loud. They were a bit annoying but not bad enough to make us want to leave. The Sol cafe was more family orientated and quieter.

We generally avoid the strip at night time as it is just too busy, too noisy and too expensive for us (and to be honest, we are just too old ). The old saying “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen” applies to us.
The strip (excluding the Montechoro area), is perfect for those who enjoy “boom boom” bars, clubbing and crazy night life. It’s what some people come on holiday to do and I respect that....and the bar owners make a good income from them.

Since the Old Town square was renovated / modernised a number of years ago, it lost its quaintness for me. The number of “lively” bars opening I believe has led to a change in the type of holidaymakers attracted to the old town. These things happen, some call it progress.

I think it’s part of the attraction of Albufeira, that it is large enough to cater for all its tourists. It is just a question of being selective in respect of your choice of location and accommodation and realising that everyone has a different opinion of what makes a “perfect holiday”

Algarve - The closest thing to heaven !
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:13
Libby.
No stags in the Rockline???
Friday afternoon and Saturday morning/lunch is full of them I think it is until they get their bearings and work their way to the strip
Go over the otherside of the roundabout in general you might get a crowd having one passing through but...hoefully it stays that way...that is it.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:25
I was going to mention this, Libby beat me to it.. “There were groups (of mostly middle aged men)”...
Yes, and I’ll wager, for the original posters benefit, they aren’t out of control stag do’s, they’re here playing golf, having a good time and bringing money into the local economy.
We’ve had two nights in past week in the old town, we saw one hen party and they were good fun, three groups of men, as above, golfers, loads of family’s, young, old, great atmosphere, live music, street entertainers.
What we didn’t see was any drug taking, drug selling “in every bar”... not saying drugs are none existent just reporting my first hand experience.
I suggest to the original poster, it appears you’d made your mind up before posting, my advice to you is don’t come to Albufeira, you’re in a no win situation so book elsewhere and I sincerely wish you a great holiday wherever you go.
Bottom line though, Albufeira is not the place you have been misinformed to believe it is, your loss, but do enjoy wherever you do book for your hols.
Andrew
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by dave dave wrote:

My wife and I spend 6 months of the year in albufeira and has been said on here there is enough bars around to avoid the stag and hen parties also more and more bars in the old town will not cater for stag and hen parties
The thing is Dave for us who are fortunate enough to reside here all/most of the year we can find somewhere that suits us by trial and error. 
If somebody is bringing their kids on holiday and all of a sudden find most/a lot of bars or cafes are full of drunk people bellowing and cussing it is not a nice experience for them.
They have saved long and hard all year to hopefully have a good time then find themselves surrounded by gob*****s because that is basically what they are because they are in a gang.
A bit like Linthorpe Road on a Friday Saturday night LOL
They do not want to be hidden away in backstreet bar where they feel safer. They want to be in the throng where the entertainment is.
The thing is it is not only Albufeira it is everywhere, it just seems that is what society is now.
And it is not only Brits last year the Dutch seemed to get a kick out of bending road sign poles backwards and forwards until they snapped at the bottom.
Soon be October and we can have the place to ourselves!
By the way UTB Wink.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic