Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giro bus fare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giro bus fare.
    Posted: 18/February/2018 at 19:51
Time for my annual query again.
Coming out in March. Is the 1 hour fare still €1.40?  I like to have the correct cash.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2018 at 10:52
It is, or if you plan to use the bus more than half a dozen times, invest in the pre pay card which brings the fare down to 80 cents.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2018 at 10:53
Yes ...  but why not get the pre-paid card, which tops up with 80 cent fares ?
Pyrman
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2018 at 12:58
Thanks to you both.  I always intend to get the card but I'm lazy & end up just paying as I go.  I justify this to myself as making my small contribution to the cost of this excellent bus service.  And I get to see parts of Albufeira I wouldn't otherwise see when I make the wrong Azul/Verde choice taking me the long way round. Great fun.
Cubsur, have there been changes from last year on the Giro routes/timings?  If so I'll print off up to date versions.  By the way, thanks for the info. you have provided on transport.  Not being a driver I use it on every visit.
Maybe see you at one of the quizzes.
The short fat bald Jock.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 00:26
While on the subject -- where can the prepaid card be topped up
apart from the bus station? The bus station is not convenient since
we always stay MGM. Was told that the post office (now closed),the Information Centre and the newsagent/etc in Av. 25 De Abril could arrange. All been checked out over the years but no joy. Sussed out the Verde and Azul routes ok but no holiday would be complete without going on a tour with the City bus.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 08:06
Jock - no changes in routes or times for more than a year.

Hamlet - the pass cards can be purchased at either the main bus station or the Bus Shop in the old town, Avenida da Liberdade, where the two Vermelha (Red) routes stop and the taxis are.  If they are on sale anywhere else it is news to me and the rest of the population.
Albufeira Resident

hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 22:14
Thanks for your reply. Will try the Bus Shop.
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by hamlet hamlet wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Will try the Bus Shop.

Don't be disappointed if you have no luck at the Bus Shop!
Tried there a few times last year...."machine wasn't working"..."machine still not working"..."we've run out of cards".....and finally "we don't sell them here any more - only at the bus station"!!!

Let me know if you have better luck!

Also, what's the minimum amount you can add to a pre-paid card?
And, if you haven't used your pre-paid card for 3 months does it no longer work, unless you top it up again, regardless of the amount already on it?

These questions and more will be answered during the next episode of Soap. (nah? just me then?)
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/February/2018 at 10:08
Ha - ha - sounds pretty typical mate, I think it's six months before you need to top up (unless they have moved the goalposts, and not told anyone - not untypical either).

The minimum is ten journeys I think - €8.  
Go away Duchatalet
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/February/2018 at 11:40
No ... 5 journeys ... €4

Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2018 at 09:36
Reloaded my pass at the bus shop in town on Friday without problem.

Cards deactivate if not used for three months I believe, but reactivate if more credit is added.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2018 at 11:38
Do you retain any credit left over from before deactivation?
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/February/2018 at 15:56
Yes ... I met a Dutch woman getting on bus at Bullring and her card wouldn`t work (after 9 months away) .. so I let her use mine. Then we both topped up at terminal and she had 18 fares returned ..
Pyrman
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 07:51
On a related matter, EVA bus fares have increased.
Acoteias to Albufeira was 3.30 and it's now 3.35.
Been like this since we arrived at the end of January so probably went up at the start of 2018.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 14:38
EVA and Frota Azul fares did go up on 1st January by a few cents. First increase for 2 years. Local train fares also went up by 2%, first increase for 3 years if I recall correctly.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic