Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faro Airport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faro Airport
    Posted: 19/October/2017 at 20:30
Very surprised this morning now that the outside frontage of the airport has been completed that there are no barriers to prevent vechiles driving straight into the glass panels at the front airport building.
Once you are past the ticket barrier to get into the departures drop off area there's nothing to stop this from happening.
After what's been going on elsewhere around Europe, and particularly in Barcelona, this must be either a very risky decision. a terrible oversight or complete miscalculation of the possible consequences.
Scary.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2017 at 07:38
Don't give them ideas! Authorities here maybe complacent or maybe not as paranoid as those in UK, France, USA etc which are of course the prime targets.

Having said that, why do these people have this obsession with airports and aircraft? There are unprotected targets all over the place. Blowing up a few mobile phone transmitters would cause much distress, alarm and despondency throughout the populace and cost no lives!

I shall be passing through said airport myself in a couple of hours and will report on how efficient or otherwise departure procedures turn out to be.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2017 at 09:15
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

why do these people have this obsession with airports and aircraft? There are unprotected targets all over the place. Blowing up a few mobile phone transmitters would cause much distress, alarm and despondency throughout the populace and cost no lives!

I think you just answered your own question Tom.

As for "prime targets", surely recent history shows that anywhere that attracts high numbers of tourists, particularly British tourists, is a prime target and as such the Algarve must be one of those places that are vunerable.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2017 at 10:08
No I mean shopping centres, cinemas, musical events, railway stations where there is no security, no searches, no police with machine guns such as those who are standing at Faro airport entrance keeping an eye on things.

Anyway, it took me 31 minutes from the time I walked through the airport door to the time I walked out of the second passport check and into the departure gates area. The airport is busy but everything is moving. The departures area is very crowded as half if it is still closed off. Just about every possible seat is occupied.
Albufeira Resident

bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2017 at 15:06
When passing through last Saturday we were directed left for UK and Ireland departures which brings you to passport control. There are no shops or restaurants until you actually go through passport control to airside where you find the duty free plus all the restaurants as before.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2017 at 09:06
Yes the non Schengen immigration control area is now before the main departures area with the  shops etc. The space once taken by the booths down there is now being worked on to make more space for the consigments before they board their transports.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2017 at 20:16
Passed through Faro this morning around 8AM. The stories of delays in the recent past had me worried but there were no problems. I like getting passport control out of the way early in the process. And most of the passport scanners were working. Faro is no worse than any other airport I've been in and will probably be as "customer friendly". €4.95 for an egg sandwich though. A bit much.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Analogue.man.in.a.di View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analogue.man.in.a.di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Faro is no worse than any other airport I've been in and will probably be as "customer friendly". €4.95 for an egg sandwich though. A bit much.

...How about €3 for a small square of tiffin.... Cry Cry Cry
Hells teeth!!!

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/February/2018 at 14:06
Has the building work finished at Faro airport?  Coming out in a couple of weeks.  I'm more concerned about departures than arrivals.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
malagabob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malagabob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 10:21
Cafe and A Irish pub to be finished off I’ve read elsewhere.
Never put off something that you could do today
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 12:01
I never worry about departures, worst case scenario I have to stay longer Wink
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/February/2018 at 12:44
A good approach Claire.  Sadly I must return to my husbandly & dog owner duties.  And to check that my wife has finished decorating the sitting room.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic