Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faro airport, hold ups!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faro airport, hold ups!
    Posted: 01/November/2016 at 19:48
Faro airport this morning was manic, I only just made my plane!
This was a flight we regularly use, left and arrived at usual time which gives us an hour and ten mins to kill, today I made the last bus out to the plane by minutes!
The queue for security, as I'd checked in on line, was out and around the whole outer circumference of the check in hall! Add to that people checking bags in then walked through and basically queue jumped, there was ructions, no wonder there was a sizeable police presence. It took me just under an hour to get through the security screening. Initially I put this down to the building alterations and the fact they'd closed one entrance, there's just the single entrance now but no, when I got there, out of the twelve security screening lines, five were open, that was the bottle neck! I could hear my flight being called whilst in this queue. You may say I hadn't allowed enough time, but I'd allowed the same as every other time and I do this flight seven or eight times a year for ten years now and never anything like this.
Anyway, scurry through to passport control, all, as in every one, of the electronic passport readers was red crossed, barriered off and not working and guess what, just two officers on duty, more massive queues...the whole place was disorganised chaos! Clearly massively short staffed.
If it's a one off, so be it, but if not, and you're using the airport, allow more time and take a sack full of patience with you.
Andrew
Sponsored Links

finalwhistle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finalwhistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/November/2016 at 21:15
It was ok at back of 11 this morning when I was there. But in September when i was there passport control queue was back past duty free shop
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Faro airport this morning was manic, I only just made my plane!
This was a flight we regularly use, left and arrived at usual time which gives us an hour and ten mins to kill, today I made the last bus out to the plane by minutes!
The queue for security, as I'd checked in on line, was out and around the whole outer circumference of the check in hall! Add to that people checking bags in then walked through and basically queue jumped, there was ructions, no wonder there was a sizeable police presence. It took me just under an hour to get through the security screening. Initially I put this down to the building alterations and the fact they'd closed one entrance, there's just the single entrance now but no, when I got there, out of the twelve security screening lines, five were open, that was the bottle neck! I could hear my flight being called whilst in this queue. You may say I hadn't allowed enough time, but I'd allowed the same as every other time and I do this flight seven or eight times a year for ten years now and never anything like this.
Anyway, scurry through to passport control, all, as in every one, of the electronic passport readers was red crossed, barriered off and not working and guess what, just two officers on duty, more massive queues...the whole place was disorganised chaos! Clearly massively short staffed.
If it's a one off, so be it, but if not, and you're using the airport, allow more time and take a sack full of patience with you.

Thanks Andrew have to keep an eye on that. I am a get there 30 minutes before check in closes type and never had a problem as check in online. Hope it was just a blip.
vinnym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2016 at 08:43
It was the same a week last Monday, check in was great but then had to join a long queue to enter security, this was hampered greatly by queue jumpers who just joined the queue adjacent to their check in desks, ignoring hundreds of people in the queue.
I was surprised how early our pick up from Albufeira was (08.00 for noon flight with Jet2) but understood why when we got to the airport. It will probably settle down now for the winter, let's hope it is sorted by next summer.
There was a long queue for passport control when we got through security but this was cleared by the time we had to board.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2016 at 09:07
Went home on the 20th October (a Thursday) on a 10am flight.
Picked up at 7.15, arrived airport 7.45 and breezed through the whole thing (security & passports) in less than 15 minutes.
We always go straight to passport control as soon as we're through security as the facilities on the other side are just as good and less busy.
We don't browse or shop so all we need is a coffee shop and a loo.
Perhaps there is a reduction in staff now that it's November and the number of flights will be considerably less.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2016 at 09:42
Are the security staff still working to rule and not working overtime? That was the cause of a lot of the problems a few weeks back.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Epi360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epi360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2016 at 09:46
That's right cubsur the action is on until the 6th of November according to the new algarve daily news .com
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 22:52
Are the alterations about done at Faro airport? When I went through in April there was still a lot going on.
My next visit is likely to be Sept/Oct.  Should they be complete by then?
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 02:08
Went through just over a week ago & they're not done yet.
All a bit odd really - you now go upstairs for departure security checks and then once through them you come downstairs again to where the shops are.
In fact when you come down the stairs you are immediately in front of the entrance to the main Duty Free shop so the small shops etc that used to be before the Duty Free shop have gone and that area is now partitioned off, as is a large area at the other end of the Duty Free shop.
The new Security area, which is where the old upstairs restaurant/smoking area used to be, was quick though. We arrived at the airport at 7.50am, probably their busiest time as there are a lot of morning flights, and although there were a lot of people about we were through security in under 10 minutes.
No doubt things will be changing on a daily/weekly basis until it's finished

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 09:46
The temporary arrivals hall is being dismantled, you now come into the terminal proper, though only one door to the car park is open so it gets a bit congested at the moment. There is still just one pay point for the car park as far as I can see. The second barrier at the drop off point has finally re-opened.

The most ridiculous thing is that the first two check in desks are right next to the escalator up to the security section, so the queues hamper anyone trying to go up. Architect should be kicked up the arse daily for a year...      
Go away Duchatalet
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 11:34
Thanks to you both. I'm a bit driven when I'm catching a plane and get there ridiculously early, so I'll be OK.
In March going for a 06:30 flight I was so early at Edinburgh that the shutter was still down at security. I went in with the airside shop staff and of course set off the metal detector. Then put me through the scanner that I think shows all your bits. I suppose that gave them a larf.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2017 at 10:24
Arrived in Faro at 0940 this morning. No queue at Jet2.com checkin. It took me 15 minutes and 15 seconds from the time I arrived at the entrance to the security area to the time I was on the other side. Despite all the alarms about the strike, everything seemed to be fully staffed.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2017 at 19:49
Just seen in Portugal News, possible strikes by security personnel at Portugal airports this weekend.
If you're travelling, keep an eye on the situation.
See here:- http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/strike-this-weekend-at-airports/42352
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic