Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro rate at moment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 105>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 23:30
Hi Paul,
I always use http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ (Martin Lewis, the money man off the telly website) to find the best & most suitable deal for me.
Travelex, as mentioned previously have the best rate I've seen for a while (using order online & collect at the airport) at 1.263
But I always go to http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ 
It's free to join. 
Currently if you use the topcashbank link to Travelex, you get 0.52% cashback. Which doesn't sound much, but the amount for are exchanging, it'll be worth a few ice creams!!!

(You don't get the cashback immediately, but when its confirmed in your account you have the option to transfer it to your bank account or they'll give you 5% extra if you choose eg Amazon or High Street vouchers or Avios points, there's loads of options.)
stuart123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2016 at 10:47
GBP Euro rate just passed 1.30 shot up a lot yesterday.

Agree with the comments about Halifax Clarity credit card - very easy to do, and you don't get stung for heavy fees.

If you have a Portugal bank account, I also use TransferWise - you can use the link below for a £500 commission free transfer

They only charge a small amount and you get the real bank transfer rate.

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2016 at 11:53
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Oh sorry Dicey talking about them nasty horrible Customs people stopping anybody taking more than the UK GUIDELINES not LIMITS on ciggies/tobacco home in this free European market we are supposed to be in. Anybody wants a bit of heads up let me know.
Maybe this should be on another topic sorry if ADMIN can move?

Official words: You may need to declare cash you take (from UK) in to other EU countries - check with the authorities in the country you’re travelling to.
(You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.)

Why people persist in bringing £££ in cash is beyond me. You get the worst exchange rate and would probably lose it or have it stolen.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2016 at 12:15
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Oh sorry Dicey talking about them nasty horrible Customs people stopping anybody taking more than the UK GUIDELINES not LIMITS on ciggies/tobacco home in this free European market we are supposed to be in. Anybody wants a bit of heads up let me know.
Maybe this should be on another topic sorry if ADMIN can move?

Official words: <span style="color: rgb11, 12, 12; font-family: nta, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 25px;">You may need to declare cash you take (from UK) in to other </span><abbr title="European Union" style="cursor: help; color: rgb11, 12, 12; font-family: nta, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 25px;">EU</abbr><span style="color: rgb11, 12, 12; font-family: nta, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 25px;"> countries - check with the authorities in the country you’re travelling to.</span>
<font size="2" style="line-height: 1.4em;"><span style="color: rgb11, 12, 12; font-family: nta, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 25px;">(</span>[COLOR="#0b0c0c" face="nta, Arial, sans-serif" size="2" style="line-height: 1.4em;"]<span style="line-height: 25px;"]You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.)</span][/COLOR]
<span style="color: rgb11, 12, 12; font-family: nta, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 19px; line-height: 25px;">
</span>
Why people persist in bringing £££ in cash is beyond me. You get the worst exchange rate and would probably lose it or have it stolen.

In our defence for taking cash,we feel it's the safest way to pay for the villa we have never stayed at,as opposed to paying directly to the villa company who we've never had dealings with before.

Normally we don't take such a large amount and probably wouldn't do again.
stuart123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2016 at 14:08

....as opposed to paying directly to the villa company who we've never had dealings with before.

Don't they accept credit card payments?  You can always make a claim back on that.
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2016 at 14:21
Originally posted by stuart123 stuart123 wrote:

....as opposed to paying directly to the villa company who we've never had dealings with before.

Don't they accept credit card payments?  You can always make a claim back on that.

No they only take bank transfer or pay on cash on arrival.

I've done all the background checks to make sure it's not some scam company and all is good but for piece of mind I would still rather hand over the money once I'm stood inside the villa with the keys in my hand.

Rented a number of villas in Portugal this way before and never had any problems.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2016 at 11:40
1.23 for cash in town yesterday.
Albufeira Resident

stuart123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2016 at 12:32
It's just tipped over the 1.30 rate again, might transfer some GBP to EURO before the rate plummets if/when we leave the EU !
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2016 at 19:01
1.31 at the mo - they're obviously thinking we'll vote to stay in
http://foreignexchangerateforecasts.blogspot.co.uk/
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2016 at 19:26
Thanks very much for the link, the live rate is fascinating.
my beautiful portugal
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/June/2016 at 23:48
After flirting with 1.32 for most of the week it's closed tonight in the mid 1.27's.
Nearly 5 cents off in 5 days - they're now thinking that we're gonna vote to leave.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2016 at 08:27
Indeed. I wonder what it was that caused that cliff face just before 2.00pm yesterday.
Andrew
cameroncleggout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncleggout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/June/2016 at 14:15
Works both ways the pound falling. Yes it means dearer holidays and dearer imports etc, but on the other hand it means UK goods are cheaper to export thus boosting the UK economy. Depends how you spin it. For example, Camercon claimed overseas holidays would cost a family about £250 more. So on the other hand if overseas holidays are more expensive does this not boost our own seaside resorts by more people choosing to " Staycation" Depends how you spin it !!!!

PS Camercon was not a spelling mistake
cameronout
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2016 at 11:01
They are all liars. No-one really knows what effect staying or leaving EU will have on currency exchange. Don't forget it has varied by as much as 20% in a year way before there was any such talk.
Albufeira Resident

cameroncleggout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncleggout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2016 at 13:45
" All Liars " Camercon told us leaving the EU would bring about recession. (Only his World War Three bull is less credible than this)

FACT 1975 = UK Recession, 1980 = UK Recession, 1990 = UK Recession, and then 2008 = UK Recession.

COMMON FACTOR ? That's right we were members of the EU for each and every recession in the last 45 years.

EU didn`t save us then so why should it now ?
cameronout
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 105>
  Share Topic