Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro rate at moment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 105>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 16:51
I need to change up around £4K so this fluctuation can make a big difference to what I get,but I can't order it until midnight tonight for airport pickup on the day we travel,do you guys think it will hold out until then as last time the rate shot up,it shot back down within a few hours.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 18:14
Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

I need to change up around £4K so this fluctuation can make a big difference to what I get,but I can't order it until midnight tonight for airport pickup on the day we travel,do you guys think it will hold out until then as last time the rate shot up,it shot back down within a few hours.

You aren`t exchanging at Airport rates are you Paul? Gulp
cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 18:46
1.25 local to me.
Loving it in the sun

Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

You aren`t exchanging at Airport rates are you Paul? Gulp

Yes but only because the last 3 times it has been the cheapest place that we could find.

Normally moneycorp is the one we use

Is there anywhere you can recommend that does good rates ?
Wireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:07
Tonisdad, reading between the lines I would think that Biggunspaul orders online and picks up at Travelex (possibly) at the airport, therefore getting the on line rate which at the moment is 1.2633.
Regular Visitor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:10
Originally posted by Wireman Wireman wrote:

Tonisdad, reading between the lines I would think that Biggunspaul orders online and picks up at Travelex (possibly) at the airport, therefore getting the on line rate which at the moment is 1.2633.

Yes that is correct,I order online from moneycorp and collect at the airport.

Just got a rate of 1.2741 which from what I can tell is not too bad

The same amount of money from Thomas cook would cost me an EXTRA £63 at this moment in time
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:24

I need to change up around £4K

If you're exchanging that much, and if you have a Portuguese Bank Account, then you should really be doing it via your bank.
I enquired at Santander this morning & their daily rate, before the big jump at midday, was 1.2822.
Now that the markets have closed at 1.2988 I expect their daily rate tomorrow will be somewhere around 1.2950 - they're usuall around half a cent below the market rate.
That is unless there is a significant movement (up or down) between the markets opening at 6am and Santander setting the daily rate at around 9am.
FYI Biggunspaul, the daily rate is set at the start of each day & no matter how the markets move, up or down, during that day the daily rate is fixed for the entire day.
On top of that there are absolutely no other charges whatsoever.
Most Portuguese Banks offer a similar service and it's incredibly easy to set up & use.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:28
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

I need to change up around £4K

If you're exchanging that much, and if you have a Portuguese Bank Account, then you should really be doing it via your bank.
I enquired at Santander this morning & their daily rate, before the big jump at midday, was 1.2822.
Now the markets have closed at 1.2988 I expect their daily rate tomorrow will be somewhere around 1.2950.
That is unless there is a significant movement (up or down) between the markets opening at 6am and Santander setting the daily rate at around 9am.
FYI the daily rate is set at the start of each day & no matter how the markets move, up or down, during that day the daily rate is fixed for the entire day.
Most Portuguese Banks offer a similar service and it's incredibly easy to set up & use.

No we don't have a Portuguese bank account,just taking so much cash as we are renting a villa for 13 nights and decided it was safer to pay cash on arrival.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:31
OK fine. You do know there are restrictions on how much cash you can legally take out of the UK (£10k). However, if you've got more than 1000 Euro, and you get stopped going out, be prepared for a long interrogation by Customs. Make sure you've got your paperwork with you.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:44
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

OK fine. You do know there are restrictions on how much cash you can legally take out of the UK (£10k). However, if you've got more than 1000 Euro, and you get stopped going out, be prepared for a long interrogation by Customs. Make sure you've got your paperwork with you.

There is 7 of us going so the money will be spread out.Last time we took around the same amount and all was ok.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:46
Paul for future reference I have said this a few times: I should be on commision.
Get a Halifax clarity card.
You use it as a nomal hole in the wall card.
You get EXACT market rate not tourist rate.
You can withdraw up to 600 euros a day.
There is no usage fee.
As long as you have Halifax online you just keep paying it off before interest accrues I even pay off more than needed just so I am ahead they don`t seem to be bothered.
You do not have to leave money in safe or hotel room.
I am just off to get another 600 now as I did not notice rate had gone up a couple of cents until Dicey brought it to my attention via this thread. I won`t draw any out until it is circa 1.30 or more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggunspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:49
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Paul for future reference I have said this a few times: I should be on commision.
Get a Halifax clarity card.
You use it as a nomal hole in the wall card.
You get EXACT market rate not tourist rate.
You can withdraw up to 600 euros a day.
There is no usage fee.
As long as you have Halifax online you just keep paying it off before interest accrues I even pay off more than needed just so I am ahead they don`t seem to be bothered.
You do not have to leave money in safe or hotel room.
I am just off to get another 600 now as I did not notice rate had gone up a couple of cents until Dicey brought it to my attention via this thread. I won`t draw any out until it is circa 1.30 or more.

Thanks for the advice,will defo consider that for next time.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 19:49
Oh sorry Dicey talking about them nasty horrible Customs people stopping anybody taking more than the UK GUIDELINES not LIMITS on ciggies/tobacco home in this free European market we are supposed to be in. Anybody wants a bit of heads up let me know.
Maybe this should be on another topic sorry if ADMIN can move?
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 20:43
Yeah, been there & done that about 18 months ago.
Not a pleasant experience but it all worked out ok in the end.
Posted it on here
http://www.albufeira.com/forum/tobacco-prices_topic8710_post89326.html?KW=CARTONS#89326
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2016 at 21:13
Will have a look at that tomorrow Dicey off out in a minute. I had a terrible experience with them I will leave it at that and look at that thread tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 105>
  Share Topic