Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEnergias de Portugal EDP to be wound up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energias de Portugal EDP to be wound up
    Posted: 25/April/2012 at 22:53
Found this clipping in the algarvedailynews & it seems AFPOP have confirmed this as well http://algarvedailynews.com/news/6359-edp-to-be-wound-up
 Does a anyone know how you find out who to 'switch' to, It's easy in the UK as there are numerous web sites to assist but does anything like this exist in Portugal?
Assuming  that most people are with EDP, this sounds like a recipe for confusion.
Has anyone had any notification (email) from EDP regarding this?

Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2012 at 22:57
Just changed new place into our name + got 2% off old cottage and home. No emails or letters saying anything about the above!!
alan&alice View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2012 at 23:02
Interesting news,i had heard a few years ago about this happening,i think a lot of research is needed,mainly for us domestic customers.
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/albufeira/481652
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2012 at 23:30
I have just been into the websites mentioned in the clipping, seems like galp only supply gas (no use whatsoever) . The eglespana site is a complete waste of time, no information. endesa.pt  does give some info , tarifa poupanca then click onto ver condicoes da offerta and it gives you prices for customers  on 3.45 kva up to 20.7kva which are similar to edp prices at the moment.Iberdrola.pt can't get through to website. gasnaturalfenosa seems only to deal in gas.  Oh well this should be fun when we have to think about changing.
Bedlam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/April/2012 at 23:47
This is not much different to what Maggie Thatcher and (the idiot) Cecil Parkinson did in the 1908's in UK..... Privatisation
In the UK it broke up the Generating Authority (Central Electricity Generating Board, where I worked for some 18 years and then 11 more years for the new company) into 2, then 3, Stock Market listed companies producing power.
Similar happened to the Regional Distribution Companies, Seeboard, Northern Electric, Yorkshire Electric, Eastern Electricity, London Electrticity  etc. etc.supplying power to commercial and residential addresses.
I worked a further 11 years for National Power, now NPower (and privately German owned) who bought several Distribution Companies to integrate into the power producing company.....instant customer base.

My advice is to sit tight and let the apples float to the top for a year or two or more once the mistakes in privatising have been rectified by the Portuguese Govt.
DICEYUK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 09:34
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

It's easy in the UK as there are numerous web sites to assist but does anything like this exist in Portugal?

Well if it's anything like trying to get the address of you IMI bill changed or pay for your road toll charge then changing your electric supplier will be a complete doddle.
I hate how people compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 09:49
I changed to the special Continente/EDP tariff offer in February and I get a Continente shopping voucher value of 10% of my consumption. Not a huge amount but every little helps.

I guess the privatisation model will follow that of others if they can find anyone to buy it.

The government has pledged to sell off state enterprises (eg electricity, railways, telecoms) as part of the financial rescue deal hence the wave of strikes in the present public sector.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/April/2012 at 10:57
Love the Portuguese government, they only ever seem to follow the examples of other countries disasters, and are not interested in the good ideas...
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2012 at 00:25
Seems like Galp are in competition for electricity

http://www.galpon.pt/vantagens.php  what a shame its only in Portuguese, for us that don't fully grasp the language and read between the lines,  tough.Annoyed
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2012 at 10:20
5% discounts etc.

Whether anyone will be willing or able to set up a 'price comparison and switching' website  service without charging for it remains to be seen.

But as we were saying in our local facemail encounter situation the other day, you can be sure that the various offers will soon come flooding through our doors.

The forward thinking company that  translates these into English will get a lot more business down here at least.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2012 at 10:47
"Forward thinking"... Ha ha ha, nice one Tom. Got any more like that mate...
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2012 at 11:50
Got my new equipment from UK, maybe can get my lecky from there too!
J2me View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2012 at 11:54
Any update, experience or advice for us to consider regarding the switching would be appreciated.  Confused

Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2012 at 14:39
Not heard anything more as yet. It would have been nice for EDP to contact all its customers either by post or email to let us know whats going on.  Disgraceful that they can string people along like this, keeping them in the dark. How many people own property but do not live there full time, how are they supposed to find things out and make the necessary arrangements.   
I read on another forum that one guy had rung EDP  and this is what he understood from the conversation. They will stop supplying domestic premises (Households) with electricity from the end of this month. For those of us who do not change to a new supplier existing tariffs will cease and charges will be set by the government regulator every 3 months, ever increasing until we have all changed to new suppliers. 
So if we don't change who is going to send us future bills, is it still going to be EDP? Who knows. Another Fiasco in the making comes to mind.
Another person actually rang the Resident & the Portugal news to see if they would do an article on it but he said it seems they can't be bothered or they do not have the correct information to publicise it. So going off that even the press don't know whats going on.

Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Irispad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2012 at 23:21
Has anyone received any formal advice from EDP? Presumably their services are being picked up by another provider? if not many of us are going to be faced with arriving home to no electricity!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic