Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest wifi in olhos de agua

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best wifi in olhos de agua
    Posted: 17/April/2017 at 15:35
Hi just wanted seeing about getting wifi in olhos. Which is best provider and best price. Apartment occupied about 6 months a year.

Secondly wondering about using a tv box from Ireland when I get it or can I buy over there.
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 10:20
Do you mean wifi through a landline and router or using a mobile hotspot?
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
snowman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 15:55
Whichever suits best!  If I thought the mobile dongle would work for everything I could use that but I thought the router etc might be a more permanent fix especially if using for the TV.
Cheers
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 17:22
Not many choices for ADSL (no Fibre in Olhos) but your best bet is probaly MEO if you want to go down that route.

A phone and internet package will cost 15 Euro a month (12mbps) or 20 Euro a month (24mbps) - you'll be lucky to get more than 10mbps though.
Those costs rise to 23 & 29 Euro after 3 months.

https://www.meo.pt/pacotes/mais-pacotes/adsl/net-voz

They'll probably try to sell you a package that includes MEO TV as well which would cost 45 Euro a month.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
snowman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 18:14
Thanks dicey. I presume the TV pack with meows just Portuguese channels? Will the speed meow provides be sufficient to run a TV box.....are those boxes for sale over th ere or am I better off bri going one fromore here
Cheers
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 20:08
1. No, there are around 200 International channels and the total number depends on what package you have. There are a few UK Channels - BBC Entertainment (a sort of mix of BBC1 & BBC2), Sky News, BBC World news etc.
You also get some Portuguese Movie Channels which are in English with Portuguese subtitles. There's several music channels (e.g. VH1) and some sport channels (e.g. Eurosport).
A full list, which is not up to date is here - https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_MEO_(IPTV)
There are some channels in that list that you have to pay extra for (e.g Sport TV)
You can also record and they have quite a large and up to date film base that you pay for on an individuel basis - usually 2 to 5 Euro per film. Most films are in English, again with Portuguese subtitles.

2. I never get more than 10mbps and it works fine and never had a problem. I believe 2mbps is the minimum requirement.

3. These are special MEO Boxes and as far as I'm aware you can only get them with a contract via MEO. Unlike Sky, you have to return the box if & when you cancel your contract so there are no suplus boxes available from other sources. There is no Portuguese Ebay or Amazon.
I very much doubt if you could get one in the UK and a Sky box wouldn't work on their system.

FYI I have the MEO Total 24 Package.

• Phone (supplied) landline with free calls within Portugal 24/7 & free International Calls 9pm to 9am
  • 24mbps internet. although I never get more than 10mbps (router included)
  • About 160 TV Channels (box included)
I pay 45 Euro per month for that
I think I'm right in saying that there is no installation charge - there wasn't when I had mine but that was 10 years ago. Since then I've had 2 new phones and a new TV Box - no charge for either.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 22:29
Originally posted by snowman snowman wrote:

Hi just wanted seeing about getting wifi in olhos. Which is best provider and best price. Apartment occupied about 6 months a year.

Secondly wondering about using a tv box from Ireland when I get it or can I buy over there.
Get one from home Ebay or the like fully loaded mag254 iptv no dish required vary £100-£200 for a full years subscription including box. 
The one I am using at the moment cost £200 for a year and then £120 a year after that.
That has everything sky bt all sports channels all Premier League 3 o clock kick offs...not that that will be of interest to me next season Ouch.Films galore documentaries all BBC/ITV etc
Of course if you are a techy type you can get the bare box and download to it yourself. That`s all beyond me.
To get the same thing over here reading the local press is a lot more expensive.

snowman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/April/2017 at 22:40
Cheers tonisdad might get a box in ireland and bring over. ....and go for the Meo WiFi!
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2017 at 09:25
Just for the clarification of doubt, those IPTV boxes are illegal to use! However they are all over the algarve!!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2017 at 10:55
 I have MEO and their internet, landline phone and TV packages, not in Olhos D'Agua though. Speed averages 12mb which is more than OK for HDTV and with the 200 channels you also get BBC Radio 1,2,3,4 (not 5 because of the sports copyrights) plus umpteen other radio channels plus all sorts of other old stuff.

I can stream 'illegal' TV without an IPTV box well enough to watch the odd football they don't show eg Leicester's game last night. There are myriad sources for UK channels.

Assorted film channels with MEO (90% of output is in English) are extra on the sub, SportTV3 for English Premier League games in HD is €9.90 a month but they only offer Portuguese commentary.

Having said that, some wifi hotspots offer very high speed but that is very location dependent. You can get half the speed or twice the speed over a matter of a few hundred yards. Speed is not everything and when children are at home (yours and others nearby) some 3G service is well nigh impossible.
Albufeira Resident

tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/April/2017 at 15:16
Originally posted by stuart123 stuart123 wrote:

Just for the clarification of doubt, those IPTV boxes are illegal to use! However they are all over the algarve!!

Stuart makes you laugh every time I read our local newspaper it is saying the Premier League and Sky el al are cracking down on.....Kodi boxes....as they insist on calling them. Checking IP addresses etc LOL even I know how to hide that with my limited "techy" knowledge.Yet in the Algarve News they are openly advertised.
Just another example of the level playing field in the E.U.
Brits play with the straight bat the rest raise a finger.
Armando View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2017 at 11:56
I also signed up for a MEO internet /TV package . The salesman said our post code ( Olhos D'Agua) would get 24mbps,
The engineer who installed said 16 but we get 11 at best and about 8 on average.
Internet access is fine for browsing, email FaceTime etc....also streamed TV live from UK is fine but struggles with streamed live football.
150 channels on MEO tv of which about half are dross...same as SKY !
One thing I noticed is if you have a Smart TV and you connect it to your wifi...everything else struggles. I disconnected the TV from the wifi and it all works fine.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 21:21
Norm55 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2017 at 12:44
Ok   so how about chromecast ? Download film on to your tablet and chronecast it to your tv    Answers in one syllable please, as am not a techie
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/May/2017 at 10:11
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4452728/European-court-rules-fully-loaded-Kodi-boxes-illegal.html%20

Not to worry, there are tens of thousands out there. However it does help to have a decent internet connection, sadly lacking for many around here.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic